PDA

View Full Version : UPS Policies SUCK!!!!

slamfire51
08-14-2011, 10:43 PM
UPS is a rip off when it comes to shipping handguns. I know everyone who has shipped a handgun knows this.
Their policy is to ship Next Day Air, yet dealers can ship 2nd Day.
Ship a handgun on Friday, and being a union, operations shut down @ midnight Friday.

Long story short, you pay for Next Day Air ($65+) and don't receive the handgun until the following Monday before 10:30 AM. WTF????

This has happened to me once, and from now on, I'm shipping through my dealer. ($20 transfer fee--$10.50 USPS Flat Rate) For me, that would have been a $35 savings.

Screw UPS!!!

Broondog
08-14-2011, 11:10 PM
you have a C&R right? just ship USPS yourself and be done with it. my local PO didn't even bat an eye when i dropped my FFL on the counter and barely even looked at it. as far as they were concerned i was a dealer and they shipped Priority Mail for me no problems on both modern and C&R stuff. they don't even mark the box so only the local PO and you know what's in there.

as long as the transfer is legal on the other end what does it really matter how it gets from point A to point B?

UPS can pound sand for all my firearms shipments.

Warthogg
08-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Just use USPS. Never had to have a license before.

Also I suggest never shipping on Friday or any other time your weapon will be held over a weekend.

Wart

mriddick
08-15-2011, 05:52 AM
you have a C&R right? just ship USPS yourself and be done with it. my local PO didn't even bat an eye when i dropped my FFL on the counter and barely even looked at it. as far as they were concerned i was a dealer and they shipped Priority Mail for me no problems on both modern and C&R stuff. they don't even mark the box so only the local PO and you know what's in there.

as long as the transfer is legal on the other end what does it really matter how it gets from point A to point B?

If it ever gets lost that's when you'll see the problem will arise.

slamfire51
08-15-2011, 06:29 AM

Yeah, it's like USPS has never lost a package. :swear:

That's the reason I won't send one through the mail. Spending time with Bubba and the hefty fine is not my thing.

I know 03 FFLs are allowed to trade with other FFLs, and I can't see any reason why we (03) can't ship handguns to each other or to other FFLs via USPS. 03 FFLs applicants have been scrutinized by the DOJ just as all the other FFLs.

O.S.O.K.
08-15-2011, 08:40 AM

That's what I did - just fill out their form - I lined out dealer and put C&R Collector. The local PO has leeway in this...

O.S.O.K.
08-15-2011, 08:41 AM

That's the reason I won't send one through the mail. Spending time with Bubba and the hefty fine is not my thing.

I know 03 FFLs are allowed to trade with other FFLs, and I can't see any reason why we (03) can't ship handguns to each other or to other FFLs via USPS. 03 FFLs applicants have been scrutinized by the DOJ just as all the other FFLs.

Insure the package.

Broondog
08-15-2011, 11:35 AM

always with the negative waves man.

FFL of any sort = handguns thru the mail. file a form 1508 Shipper of Firearms and go about your business. the postmaster cannot argue the rules or their liberal sensibilities....it's in their rules and regs. make them look it up or have your own copy handy.

Insure the package.

did you have to bring that up?

:lool:

slamfire51
08-15-2011, 11:39 AM

FFL of any sort = handguns thru the mail. file a form 1508 Shipper of Firearms and go about your business. the postmaster cannot argue the rules or their liberal sensibilities....it's in their rules and regs. make them look it up or have your own copy handy.

If you look at the rules, it says, "Bona Fided Dealer"

A 03 licensee is not a DEALER.

circuits
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
If you look at the rules, it says, "Bona Fided Dealer"

A 03 licensee is not a DEALER.

+1. Local counter guy may let you do it, but Postal Investigative Service won't let it slide if there's a problem with your package.

Warthogg
08-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Maybe I fail to see the problem with USPS and shipping handguns. I am not a dealer and have shipped a good many pistols through USPS. Always I ship to the buyer's FFL of course. Yes I insure.

Wart

mriddick
08-15-2011, 02:39 PM

The difference between wisdom and knowledge is knowledge you learn through your own mistakes, wisdom you learn through other people's mistakes. I'm just trying to pass on some wisdom :) I really wasn't trying to be negative but if found your package will be seized and probably destroyed resulting in alot of trouble on your end if not being liable for some sort of prosecution (granted have not heard of many). I am serous when I tel people you can get by with it as long as you get by with it, however as soon as a package is found out then you'll also see the trouble. This is just coming from a guy who's been tagged at my local PO due to someone sending me ammo in the mail (also illegal).

Maybe I fail to see the problem with USPS and shipping handguns. I am not a dealer and have shipped a good many pistols through USPS. Always I ship to the buyer's FFL of course. Yes I insure.

Wart

The problem is it's against USPS regs. If you're not a dealer all it means to me is just don't bother to insure the package, if it's lost/seized they will not pay.

Warthogg
08-15-2011, 10:56 PM
The problem is it's against USPS regs. If you're not a dealer all it means to me is just don't bother to insure the package, if it's lost/seized they will not pay.

Guess I have just been lucky. I've even been asked at the post office counter if this is a firearm.

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

Wart

slamfire51
08-16-2011, 07:08 AM
I talked to by UPS driver (very good friend and neighbor) and he said to ship Next Day Air SAVER. This way the cost is about 1/2 the cost of Next Day Air which has to be delivered before 10:30. The Saver option gets the package delivered next day, but by end of day.

Now he tells me.