PDA

View Full Version : AK-74 Side Folder Diagram

ATAK, Inc.
08-16-2011, 03:17 PM
A while back another member asked for this and I was reminded yesterday when I posted my first build.

A very detailed template for converting a solid stock AK to a left side folder. It's not that hard to do, I did it to my SAR-1 a few years ago. For parts, I got a complete set from K-VAR, but it looks like they are sold out at the moment, not sure about other vendors.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/scan0001.jpg

Solidus-snake
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
I am really not meaning to be picky but I dont suppose you have a more high-res picture do you?

ATAK, Inc.
08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
I am really not meaning to be picky but I dont suppose you have a more high-res picture do you?

Hey snake, no problem, this is a scan. I'll see if I can clean it up a bit, had to get more printer ink yesterday. Now I'll try to copy and scan it at a better resolution.

Solidus-snake
08-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey snake, no problem, this is a scan. I'll see if I can clean it up a bit, had to get more printer ink yesterday. Now I'll try to copy and scan it at a better resolution.

Much appreciated, thanks. What tools do you need for this conversion?

Tx Dogblaster
08-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Nice ATAK! I added a link to the drawing in the "Reference Materials" sticky at the top of this forum. I gave you credit as the original contributor. I hope you don't mind. :thanx:

Solidus-snake
09-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey ATAK, what tools did you use for this conversion?

ATAK, Inc.
09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey ATAK, what tools did you use for this conversion?

Wow, sorry for not responding to your previous post, my bad!

I used a scribe into the existing finish when laying out the holes and cuts at the rear of the receiver. Good quality drill bits to get starter holes, a dremel and several shaped files (round, flat, square, tri-angle) to finish the holes and cuts. Painstaking work, but keep fitting the release lever, and another thing I did was to put the rear trunnion in the receiver and verify how much material to remove and make sure the holes were correct. Another critical point is the latch pivot pin under the front trunion, you gotta make sure this is drilled plumb and square, with a smaller hole for the pin into the front trunnion and a slightly larger one for the receiver. Also, the hole needs to go thru the front trunnion. It is under the bbl, so go slow and check the fit of the pin. Hope this helps!

ATAK, Inc.
09-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Nice ATAK! I added a link to the drawing in the "Reference Materials" sticky at the top of this forum. I gave you credit as the original contributor. I hope you don't mind. :thanx:

Wow! This is the closest I've ever come to having one of my posts be a sticky!!!

Thanks!