PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the XM25 is in production and going to Afganistan

O.S.O.K.
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Details on XM25 system: http://gizmodo.com/5055602/first-look-and-full-details-on-the-xm25-the-most-lethal-army-gun-ever

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2008/09/xm25-1.jpg

These are a game-changer. They have an outside range of 2300 meters. The boys in the field can use these in place of airstrikes to take out an enemy sniper. The optics have integral laser range finders and the operator can adjust the round's burst +/- 3 meters from the target. The round has a chip in it that receives the distance to target from the optic at firing.

Buck Rogers move over.

Schuetzenman
08-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Looks heavy.

old Grump
08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Looks heavy.If you are sniping from long range who cares.

Warthogg
08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Looks heavy.

IIRC was about 12 pounds. Think a dozen or so units were tested in the Afghan and much liked. Went back to have a little weight shaved off and to increase battery life.

Wart

All from a poor memory.

O.S.O.K.
08-18-2011, 09:20 PM
This weapon can deliver a grenade basically dead on target out to 2300 meters and the operator can tell it to detonate 3 meters in front of, or up to 3 meters behind the target.

A muhajadeen sniper is laying behind a couple of boulders 1800 meters away on the mountain next to your FOB and continually taking pot shots at you.

This device allows you to send him a grenade that bursts immediately over his head and takes his ass out like a light.

No need to call in an airstrike, hope that your call is prioritized and then wait. Ditto for needing to call arty or any other expensive back up, you just have your XM25 operator send the love note over to the sniper. Over and out.

OR

You're in a town and trying to clear it - there's a group of bad guys that have a postion that you need - they're hiding behind the corners of the building. No problem. You send your grenade over to them and have it detonate precisely 1 meter beyond the edge of the building and take-out three of them. Send another one to the top edge of the building beyond that where you've been taking fire from and have it detonate just over the lip of the building - 4 more gone.

This is the shitz.

jojo
08-18-2011, 11:07 PM
I need one. I have a hog problem.

T2K
08-19-2011, 01:14 AM
The link says 600m range?

Also, didn't the original concept have a 5.56mm rifle also? This looks like a standalone 25mm grenade launcher? Like a modenized and juiced up M79.

stinker
08-19-2011, 02:05 AM
IIRC was about 12 pounds. Think a dozen or so units were tested in the Afghan and much liked. Went back to have a little weight shaved off and to increase battery life.

Wart

All from a poor memory.
My SPAS12 weighs more than that.

1 Patriot-of-many
08-19-2011, 05:03 AM
Hope they improved it. Wasn't the this one that rounds blew up just a little teeny bit premature?

Mark Ducati
08-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Is this the thing with the smart ammo that you can set the range for it to blow behind a wall once it penetrates, or shooting over cover, it can injure those hiding behind it?

Warthogg
08-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Is this the thing with the smart ammo that you can set the range for it to blow behind a wall once it penetrates, or shooting over cover, it can injure those hiding behind it?

yup.

Wart

Warthogg
08-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Hope they improved it. Wasn't the this one that rounds blew up just a little teeny bit premature?

Do not believe rounds exploded premature. (New Korean rifle had that problem.) I remember the soldiers using them didn't want to give back the test guns.

Improvements were to be better battery life and shave off a little weight..

Wart

mrkalashnikov
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Isn't that the BFG from Doom 3?

Yeah, looks heavy and cumbersome.

Krupski
08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
The link says 600m range?

Also, didn't the original concept have a 5.56mm rifle also? This looks like a standalone 25mm grenade launcher? Like a modernized and juiced up M79.

What bothers me is that it's packed with electronics. Electronics and harsh conditions have NEVER gotten along... hell all the electronic shit in a CAR barely works for more than a few years.

I can just see it... soldiers pinned down by sniper fire, one soldier spots the sniper, plugs in the range to target, aims and pulls the trigger. BEEP! Low battery - shutting down. In the mean time, the AK47 rounds will keep whizzing by.....

This kind of bulky crap does not belong on a battlefield. I'll bet it was designed by engineers with:

* No battle experience
* No input from the SOLDIERS who will have to use that souped-up Super Soaker in real combat.

Oh well, I guess it can't be worse than McNamara and the M16 debacle.

stinker
08-19-2011, 06:24 PM

It looks to be a smaller more portable version of this beast. The XM307.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_2cCmzovc&feature=related

Same principle at the least. This thing is badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfmdiEV5598&feature=related

O.S.O.K.
08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Well, from what I gather they are ordering 12K of them for deployment....

T2K
08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
So, it's the new and improved M79. Will the grenadiers carry anything else? M9?
M4 (that's a lot to carry)?

L1A1Rocker
08-19-2011, 08:54 PM
This weapon can deliver a grenade basically dead on target out to 2300 meters and the operator can tell it to detonate 3 meters in front of, or up to 3 meters behind the target.

A muhajadeen sniper is laying behind a couple of boulders 1800 meters away on the mountain next to your FOB and continually taking pot shots at you.

This device allows you to send him a grenade that bursts immediately over his head and takes his ass out like a light.

No need to call in an airstrike, hope that your call is prioritized and then wait. Ditto for needing to call arty or any other expensive back up, you just have your XM25 operator send the love note over to the sniper. Over and out.

OR

You're in a town and trying to clear it - there's a group of bad guys that have a postion that you need - they're hiding behind the corners of the building. No problem. You send your grenade over to them and have it detonate precisely 1 meter beyond the edge of the building and take-out three of them. Send another one to the top edge of the building beyond that where you've been taking fire from and have it detonate just over the lip of the building - 4 more gone.

This is the shitz.

Can I get one on a Form 4?

Warthogg
08-19-2011, 09:05 PM
* No input from the SOLDIERS who will have to use that souped-up Super Soaker in real combat.

Actually was battle tested in the Afghan by real combat soldiers who gave their input for mods. (Weight and longer battery life.)

Oh well, I guess it can't be worse than McNamara and the M16 debacle.

The M16 debacle was caused completely by the Army. (Don't make me defend mcnamara but the M16 debacle was not his doing.) Not nearly enough cleaning kits, and the wrong powder killed too many Soldiers and Marines.

Wart

Warthogg
08-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Can I get one on a Form 4?

No need. Just go to the gun shows that sell Stingers and assault rifles to the Mexican cartels.

Wart

arcangel
08-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Hell we should all get one, and go clear out a ghetto near you. Whats a 20mm round like that cost anyways?

stinker
08-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Whats a 20mm round like that cost anyways?
Looks like about $25k for the rifle and about $25 per round.
Someone gonna get a big fat ass paying contract outta that.

L1A1Rocker
08-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Looks like about $25k for the rifle and about $25 per round.
Someone gonna get a big fat ass paying contract outta that.

$25 per round is a lot less than I expected. It actually sounds rather cheep when you consider what it does. The rifle on the other hand . . . well, that's what I've come to expect for the .gov.

hogmister
08-20-2011, 07:47 PM
$25 per round is a lot less than I expected. It actually sounds rather cheep when you consider what it does. The rifle on the other hand . . . well, that's what I've come to expect for the .gov.

yeah. cheaper than most of the toilet seats in the white house!:lool:

Warthogg
08-20-2011, 09:23 PM

On the other other hand if it was my sorry ass in the Afghan and I needed a sniper to depart I would think the price of both is JUST RIGHT !!

Wart

pastfinder
08-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Me likey...so many possibilities for fun with one of these ;)

Warthogg
08-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Me likey...so many possibilities for fun with one of these ;)

Me also. More important so did the soldiers who did the testing In Afghanistan.

But our sources — both in the field and back at HQ — say this is one gun that delivers what it’s supposed to: an extremely accurate counterdefilade capability at the squad level.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2011/04/05/xm-25-blast-radius-revealed/#ixzz1Vcxl7o7b
Defense.org

Video also at link.

Wart