PDA

View Full Version : Walla Walla Sweet Season

ltorlo64
08-21-2011, 12:45 PM
It is that time of year when Walla Walla Sweet Onions are available. I have ate a lot of sweet onions and my favorites are the Walla Wallas. It could be that I am from Washington and my wife is from Walla Walla, but I really think it is because they are the best!

O.S.O.K.
08-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Have you tried a Vidalia? They are so sweet you can eat em like an apple.

I love onions.

ltorlo64
08-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Have you tried a Vidalia? They are so sweet you can eat em like an apple.

I love onions.

Vidalias are close, but I still like the Walla Wallas better.

El Duce
08-21-2011, 04:59 PM
THEY MAKE A GREAT SOUP!

slamfire51
08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I've never heard of Walla Walla onions. Vidalias are delicious, and I too am an onion lover.
I eat onion sandwiches pretty often. Sliced onion of any kind and a little mayo on bread.
One more healthy veggie to eat.

TheMrMitch
08-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Ohhhhhhhh.....Vidalias!

Partisan1983
08-21-2011, 11:09 PM
We have just three types of onions at our stores, Red, Yellow and White.

Do Walla Walls taste different from them?

Warthogg
08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
I've never heard of Walla Walla onions. Vidalias are delicious......

Yup

Wart

old Grump
08-22-2011, 01:13 AM
You knew I would, first really cold day of the year and/or New years day we make 5 onion soup. It's always a little different but this is the basic recipe.
5 onion soup

1 large yellow onion (9-11 oz. ea.) sliced
4 Walla Walla or Vidalia onions (9-11 oz. ea.) sliced

1 bud of garlic minced
7 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 Tbsp sugar, (any will do but I like dark brown sugar)

2 quarts reduced sodium beef or chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 loaf sliced in half long ways, buttered and toasted in the broiler
grated Romano cheese

Melt butter in large sauce pan that holds at least 4 quarts. Add onions, garlic and stir over medium heat 12 minutes or till onions are tender and golden brown. Add sugar, cook and stir another minute. Add broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 12 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowl, float toast in the bowl and sprinkle with the cheese.

If my sister leaves me alone in the kitchen unattended for a couple of minutes one little pepper seems to find its way chopped fine and dropped into the soup. By rights she could do bad things to me but she just adds more toast and takes a Tum's to fight the little bit of burn. Sometimes I am not a very nice guy but I knows what I like.

Mom will eat it but I have to forgo the garlic and pepper, it just isn't the same.