PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 22 revolver

Viking350
08-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Good morning to everyone. I am looking to add a 22 revolver to my collection. I have a grandson quickly approaching shooting age, so that plus my own fun factor are the reasons. It should be relatively light weight so it will be easy for him to handle. I lean towards a da, but would consider a sa. I had a ruger sa with the interchangeable cylinders, but never could get it to sight in even fresh from the factory. I am looking for recommendations based on your experiences. Thanks in advance guys.

O.S.O.K.
08-22-2011, 08:16 AM
I can't imagine a better .22 revolver to start a young boy out on than a Ruger Bearcat. Mine shoots to point of aim with most all ammo = bulk ammo.

Another option is a Smith & Wesson Airweight J frame - I think they're 8 - shots.

Another option is a bit bigger/heavier but not so much - Ruger Single Six - if you had trouble with the sights just get an adjustable sight model.

old Grump
08-22-2011, 08:29 AM
What are you looking to spend, Ruger makes a few models from the convertible single six that has 22 LR and 22 Mag cylinders. My brothers is nearly as accurate as my S&W M41 target pistol, they have the hunter and single ten with a 6" barrel that has the gun fighter grips, 4 extra shots and it has a cool factor of looking like a cowboy gun. Williams adjustable sights should put you right on the target at any range he wants to shoot at. But we are talking $550 to $780.

S&W M63 has a 5" barrel and 8 round capacity that I wouldn't mind taking a closer look at. I never shot one but read comments from folks who are pretty happy with theirs. One guy complained that his cylinder stuck after shooting CCI mini mags but everybody else said they got their best groups with match ammo and/or mini-mags so it could be he bought the turkey or he wasn't much on cleaning guns. I have seen used ones for sale at about $300.

Personal experience with the single six makes me lean that way

Viking350
08-22-2011, 08:41 AM
The single six I had problems with was bought for me as a early teenager. That would be about 35 years ago. It had adjustable sights, but shot way low and left and despite my best attempts to sight it in, it ran out of adjustments. I traded it off years ago. Money is always a factor, although not the overriding one. I want a balance of quality and cost. I personally love S&W revolvers, so either the 317 or the 63 sound interesting to me.

I looked up that bearcat, that one looks interesting as well.

old Grump
08-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Sounds like your old Ruger needed to be sent back and the barrel put in straight. Every once in awhile a turkey comes sneaking out of the plant. Especially on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon. I'm pretty sure their machinery is completely different now. My brothers is the 1976 Bicentennial model and between the two of us we have shot the dickens out of it. Heck on the old site when we were having the 22 matches I used it for a couple of matches and did alright with it. The new ones have easier to see sights on them now and that would be a big factor for me but the 63 has some nice sights too.

Viking350
08-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Sounds like your old Ruger needed to be sent back and the barrel put in straight. Every once in awhile a turkey comes sneaking out of the plant. Especially on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon. I'm pretty sure their machinery is completely different now. My brothers is the 1976 Bicentennial model and between the two of us we have shot the dickens out of it. Heck on the old site when we were having the 22 matches I used it for a couple of matches and did alright with it. The new ones have easier to see sights on them now and that would be a big factor for me but the 63 has some nice sights too.

I hear ya grump. There will be outliers with anything manufactured. I have owned other Ruger firearms and loved them.

awp101
08-22-2011, 06:41 PM
The thing with Single Sixes is the Mag capability. Because of that, the bore is sized more for the Mag than the LR. It's a small difference but can affect accuracy. In my case I don't notice any loss of accuracy since I'm only fair with a handgun, I don't shoot for the smallest group and rarely over 25m. My understanding is the new Single Ten uses the same barrel. Still, I have no issue suggesting the Single Six. The Ten is too new to have much feedback but I suspect it's the same as the Six.

I have no firsthand experience with the Bearcat but I am actively rolling the pennies to acquire one.

The S&W 617 would be a good choice if you want 10 shots, stainless and DA. I prefer my revolvers to stick with 6 rounds but that's just a personal quirk on my part.

If you have some extra cash and want something with a little more...class, I'd suggest the older S&W M63. I had a no dash, or a -1 that I foolishly sold/traded that was tons of fun. The K-22 and Model 17 fit that bill as well if you want blued and extra style.;)

The Charter Arms Target Pathfinder (IIRC) had positive feedback when I asked about them on two different forums. It's also half the price of a M63.

Taurus....well, it's a crapshoot IMO. If you get a good one, it's a great revolver. If you get an iffy or bad one, get ready for a game of customer service roulette.

I hear good things about the old H&R and Hi Standard revolvers but you are playing the parts availability game.

I have no experience with the Colt rimfires as I'm not a Colt guy. Just a personal preference thing.

USFA has a single action revolver but AFAIK it's spendy. USFA makes good stuff IMO but I don't know anyone with that revolver and I don't recall seeing many reviews (probably just haven't looked). Same story for the Cimarron Plinkerton at a lower price point.

Viking350
08-22-2011, 07:28 PM
The thing with Single Sixes is the Mag capability. Because of that, the bore is sized more for the Mag than the LR. It's a small difference but can affect accuracy. In my case I don't notice any loss of accuracy since I'm only fair with a handgun, I don't shoot for the smallest group and rarely over 25m. My understanding is the new Single Ten uses the same barrel. Still, I have no issue suggesting the Single Six. The Ten is too new to have much feedback but I suspect it's the same as the Six.

I have no firsthand experience with the Bearcat but I am actively rolling the pennies to acquire one.

The S&W 617 would be a good choice if you want 10 shots, stainless and DA. I prefer my revolvers to stick with 6 rounds but that's just a personal quirk on my part.

If you have some extra cash and want something with a little more...class, I'd suggest the older S&W M63. I had a no dash, or a -1 that I foolishly sold/traded that was tons of fun. The K-22 and Model 17 fit that bill as well if you want blued and extra style.;)

The Charter Arms Target Pathfinder (IIRC) had positive feedback when I asked about them on two different forums. It's also half the price of a M63.

Taurus....well, it's a crapshoot IMO. If you get a good one, it's a great revolver. If you get an iffy or bad one, get ready for a game of customer service roulette.

I hear good things about the old H&R and Hi Standard revolvers but you are playing the parts availability game.

I have no experience with the Colt rimfires as I'm not a Colt guy. Just a personal preference thing.

USFA has a single action revolver but AFAIK it's spendy. USFA makes good stuff IMO but I don't know anyone with that revolver and I don't recall seeing many reviews (probably just haven't looked). Same story for the Cimarron Plinkerton at a lower price point.

The Pathfinder target is an interesting option I hadn't thought of. Thanks for the tip.

Richard Simmons
08-23-2011, 07:35 AM
As AWP101 posted the H&R series might be an affordable option. I seem to recall at one time they made a model called the Sealed 8 or Sealed Target 8 which was pretty decent for accuracy.

If you really want to add something to your collection that you can enjoy AND use for teaching I'd offer this suggestion. Search high and low for a S&W K-22 Masterpiece and buy the best condition one you can find. It'll shoot great and the value will go no where but up and up.

Another alternative, though I believe a little larger then the K-22 is a Colt Trooper MK III in .22lr. Can likely find one of those for less than the K-22 even in similar condition.

Viking350
08-23-2011, 12:32 PM
As AWP101 posted the H&R series might be an affordable option. I seem to recall at one time they made a model called the Sealed 8 or Sealed Target 8 which was pretty decent for accuracy.

If you really want to add something to your collection that you can enjoy AND use for teaching I'd offer this suggestion. Search high and low for a S&W K-22 Masterpiece and buy the best condition one you can find. It'll shoot great and the value will go no where but up and up.

Another alternative, though I believe a little larger then the K-22 is a Colt Trooper MK III in .22lr. Can likely find one of those for less than the K-22 even in similar condition.

I like the K-22 idea. On Gunbroker they range from $375 to $1,500. Assuming a 90% to 95% condition, what is a fair price?

Richard Simmons
08-23-2011, 12:53 PM
I like the K-22 idea. On Gunbroker they range from $375 to $1,500. Assuming a 90% to 95% condition, what is a fair price?

I picked one up a couple of years ago at a local pawn shop for $500 in 95%+ original condition. IIRC it dates from the late 40's. Depending on where you find it I'd think $500-$600.

FunkyPertwee
08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
The new Taurus 992 Tracker, with button release cylinder to change between LR and magnums looks pretty nice. I saw one in the shop and wanted it, but am scared of the Taurus gamble. I already have one made by Taurus "Rossi" that hasn't had a round fired from it. Snap caps were enough for the timing to change and to send the exposed firing pin flying away.

Viking350
08-23-2011, 06:46 PM
The new Taurus 992 Tracker, with button release cylinder to change between LR and magnums looks pretty nice. I saw one in the shop and wanted it, but am scared of the Taurus gamble. I already have one made by Taurus "Rossi" that hasn't had a round fired from it. Snap caps were enough for the timing to change and to send the exposed firing pin flying away.

That is a shame Funk. I still have a Rossi 38 snubby I bought years ago. It is a sweet little gun and iirc I paid $165 for it.

insider
09-24-2011, 04:30 AM
S&W 22/32 Kit Gun, find one in stainless, you'll be good to go!

WB!
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
For a first handgun, the Ruger Single Six is good. I have one with a 9 1/2" barrel, and aftermarket grips. For carrying, a NEF (H&R) is more practical (9 shots, and rugged, with a cheap price tag). I have one with a 2 1/2" barrel. The S&W kit gun would be better, but more expensive. My grand pa liked the old H&R's with a long barrel that hinged. I wouldn't mind having one of the mini-revolvers from Freedom Arms, Charter Arms, North American Arms. One of those with a 2-3" barrel would be compact.