PDA

View Full Version : Looking for another fun Ak

pastfinder
08-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I realize the title is redundant...all Aks are fun. Anyhow, I own an M70AB2 and was thinking of adding a generic WASR as a fun, take the Ak out and plink away rifle. I'm planning on selling my PU sniper, Cz-82, and a nice truck gun Yugo SKS and buying a WASR or something that is a decent, solid AK. Are the Bulgarians worth considering or are they junk? Any suggestions, recommendations are welcomed.

jojo
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM
IMHO, I would just as soon have a Bulgarian as any other. I think they rate up next to the Hungarian rifles and parts are abundant for them. Especially in 5.45x39

imanaknut
08-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Bulgarian or Hungarian, both are very good representations of ATF approve AKMs. :D

WASRs are nice if you can find one at a really good price and can hand check it before buying. By good price I mean at or under $400 which is something I never dreamed I would say. I honestly can't believe the prices of our toys lately.

ATAK, Inc.
08-22-2011, 11:12 PM
The quality of the -74 kit I just finished is top notch!

Is your PU an original or a repro?

Schuetzenman
08-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Bulgarian, Hungarian and Polish are all as good as AK types get. Romanian rifles are bottom of the barrel and the WASR is the total bottom run for quality. I've seen a lot of problems with WASR rifles. Mag wells too tight causing fit problems with average AK mags. Seen ones that wouldn't feed off of one side of the mag or other, just depending on the magazine alone. Seen burrs in the mag well left behind that would cause deflection of a round feeding and make the weapon jam. And last but not least, no dimples in the receiver, that's just wrong.:crazy:

pastfinder
08-23-2011, 09:11 AM
The quality of the -74 kit I just finished is top notch!

Is your PU an original or a repro?

I would get another 74 (had one that was a WASR version I modified to look like a proper 74 with the muzzle brake/compensator, etc.) but do not need another caliber in my collection, haha. My PU is one of the repro versions I profess. Scope and mount are numbered to match the rifle. It's nice, but found I do not have the time to get to a range to stretch it out, hence the plan to sell it. PM if you want further info.

pastfinder
08-23-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm aware the WASRs are the bottom, bottom of the barrel. I know there are Bulgies in 7.62x39 and have heard good things about them in terms of finish, quality, etc. I also like dimples, be they are attractive women or Aks :D

Who has Bulgarians in 7.62x39 these days?

Sergi762
08-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm aware the WASRs are the bottom, bottom of the barrel. I know there are Bulgies in 7.62x39 and have heard good things about them in terms of finish, quality, etc. I also like dimples, be they are attractive women or Aks :D

Who has Bulgarians in 7.62x39 these days?
centerfire has then but I can't recommend their as-is stocks

http://centerfiresystems.com/akagunssr85c-hc.aspx
good gun otherwise

Alexei
08-23-2011, 02:42 PM
As Serg1762 recommends, that looks like a decent deal at Centerfire Systems. I've owned beaucoup AK's, and the Bulgie's are the best, especially if considering 5.45. Having said that, I've also had a couple of decent WASR's and actually an outstanding AMD-65 from Century, of all sources. You've absolutely gotta buy an AK in person though. To get a receiver, barrel, gastube, as well as the two sights, that all "line up" is relatively rare, and it WILL effect reliability, as well as accuracy.

Sergi762
08-23-2011, 03:48 PM
As Serg1762 recommends, that looks like a decent deal at Centerfire Systems. I've owned beaucoup AK's, and the Bulgie's are the best, especially if considering 5.45. Having said that, I've also had a couple of decent WASR's and actually an outstanding AMD-65 from Century, of all sources. You've absolutely gotta buy an AK in person though. To get a receiver, barrel, gastube, as well as the two sights, that all "line up" is relatively rare, and it WILL effect reliability, as well as accuracy.still with all the info available it isn't impossible to re work an existing rifle. So far as I know there are no laws on the books stating one cannot refinish, head-space or 'clean up' even the crappiest AK *coughWASRcough*
so hope is not lost

pastfinder
08-23-2011, 08:51 PM
As Serg1762 recommends, that looks like a decent deal at Centerfire Systems. I've owned beaucoup AK's, and the Bulgie's are the best, especially if considering 5.45. Having said that, I've also had a couple of decent WASR's and actually an outstanding AMD-65 from Century, of all sources. You've absolutely gotta buy an AK in person though. To get a receiver, barrel, gastube, as well as the two sights, that all "line up" is relatively rare, and it WILL effect reliability, as well as accuracy.

I do not disagree in the slightest with the statement that you need to buy an Ak in person. Unfortunately, this is not always possible. I have fixed a canted sight on an Ak before by loosening the pins, then hand aligning the sight. Granted, after doing that, that thing was dead on every time I shot it. Guess I lucked out.

That one Centerfire Bulgy looks promising (it's a bit cheap, though). I hate plastic furniture on an AK however...what would be the odds I could find wooden forearms for it and would a Romy folding stock install on one of these?

goyena70
08-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I agree, I lucked out and bought an AK47/63 for $389.95. I was expecting the worst. When it arrived I was shocked, It looked like a brand new weapon, the only gripe I had was the wood on the fore end was pretty bad but that was ok as I was planning to install a Quad rail. It came with a Tapco collapsible stock. Cannot wait to buy another one and install all new furniture.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/long_guns_003.JPG Before
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/001456.JPG After

pastfinder
08-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Very nice, who did you buy from?

goyena70
08-25-2011, 10:59 AM
J&G Sales on line.

pastfinder
08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Much obliged. Hmm, they have WASRs cheaper than anybody, by a good $40 it seems.