PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight mod

Sdustin
08-22-2011, 08:46 PM
I've got a Draco turned rifle. I want to mount a trijion rmr where the rear sight is now and use the tech sight rear peep sight. I want it to co witness. I've got a very good machinist and was thinking of milling down the current rear sight mount and tig welding a mounting plate. Thoughts?

stinker
08-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Not sure about using the tech sight with it for cowitness mounted on the leaf sight but to get the RMR sight on the rifle you don't necessarily need to reinvent the wheel. You'll have to check it out closer to figure out if these will interfere with the tech sight or if you would need to modify the mount.

MI AK Mini Dot Mount, for Trijicon RMR (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=421)

Or you could go this route if you don't mind rails on your foregrip.
There's a model specifically for the RMR that i'm guessing should cowitness with no problems.
Universal AK47/74 Handguard with MI/US P.A.L.M. Topcover (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=391)

deth502
08-28-2011, 12:31 PM
:welcome:

my thoughts?

red dots are made for fast target acquisition. peep sights are made for long range precision aiming. i cant see any logical reason to put the 2 together if your planning on co-witnessing them. i can see if you set it up as to NOT co wittness, have the dot for close quick shit, then the peep to go out long. but other than that, i cant see why someone would want both together on the same rifle.

videodon
08-28-2011, 04:53 PM

my thoughts?

red dots are made for fast target acquisition. peep sights are made for long range precision aiming. i cant see any logical reason to put the 2 together if your planning on co-witnessing them. i can see if you set it up as to NOT co wittness, have the dot for close quick shit, then the peep to go out long. but other than that, i cant see why someone would want both together on the same rifle.

+1
:)

stinker
08-28-2011, 10:23 PM

my thoughts?

Cowitnessing is something that's become something of an obsession lately. Go over to arfcom and a plethora of other sites and you'll learn that if your rifle is'nt set up for it then it's a piece of junk and you're a noob. It's "oh what if my red dot goes down in a firefight i'll have no way to aim if i can't cowitness" as far as i can tell. My point, with which i think you'll agree...if the guy you're shooting at is that close then spray and pray. If you can't point and shoot minute of man at 25 or less with a shouldered rifle then you have a much bigger issue in that you can't shoot to begin with. If he's far enough away to justify irons targeting he's far enough away to have time to yank the red dot off the rifle if it quits working. I use an eotech 557 over the receiver of my ak so i could'nt care less about cowitness myself. It's a silly obsession i think, but hey, if that's what floats someones boat and i know a possible way then glad to help. Nothing wrong with it per se, but personally i've taken a vow of chastity from cowitnessed sights obsessions. If having a secondary means of aiming at the ready at all times in CQB is that important and snap shotting is out of the question then get a laser...problem solved.