PDA

View Full Version : How to carry...

RCS
08-09-2010, 04:54 PM
So I was looking into which holster would be best to hide my XD9SC (again) when I get my carry permit. Here in Tennessee it is open/concealed carry, meaning I can either hide a IWB (inside-the-waistband) holster with my shirt tucked in over it, or I can carry "open" with a OWB (outside-the-waistband) holster.

Now, I was happy to hear about the open carry allowance--until I heard the laws that came with it. Apparently, if i choose to open carry and someone sees my firearm and begins to freak out and call the police, I could have my permit taken away an and receive a fine for disturbing the peace. Back to concealed carry, right?

Moving on. I've been searching for many hours over the course of several weeks and have come up with the best choices:

The Crossbreed Supertuck:
Review: http://gunbot.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/crossbreed-supertuck-for-xdm-demo/
Video: On the main site

And the Desantis "Cozy Partner":
Website: http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=13480&itm_index=0
Review: http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Weapons/Articles/2009/07/DeSantis-Cozy-Partner-Holster.aspx
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9RQTI52qvA

My heart and mind says the Supertuck due to the comfort level and ease of use, but my thoughts are that it'd be easier to take off the Partner/put it back on. Thoughts?

ubersoldate
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
My two cents on the subject.....

Both holsters you picked are nice, Ive owned the desanti's.
But I would suggest start with something a little cheaper to see what your body likes.
I spent a ton of coin on different holsters that are "the best, most confortable holster on the market" only to find out that they didnt work well for me.
If there is any way to try a few out, even if its for an hour, that would probably help.

My biggest issue with the supertuck is that its not easy to take on and off for getting in and out of vehicles.

I ended up using my bladetech IWB cheapie holster and love it, but its easy to take on and off, and hides my glock 19 well.

In the end, the holster you use will be as personal as the pistol itself when it comes to comfort.

Good luck!

HDR
08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
My two cents on the subject.....

Both holsters you picked are nice, Ive owned the desanti's.
But I would suggest start with something a little cheaper to see what your body likes.
I spent a ton of coin on different holsters that are "the best, most confortable holster on the market" only to find out that they didnt work well for me.
If there is any way to try a few out, even if its for an hour, that would probably help.

My biggest issue with the supertuck is that its not easy to take on and off for getting in and out of vehicles.

I ended up using my bladetech IWB cheapie holster and love it, but its easy to take on and off, and hides my glock 19 well.

In the end, the holster you use will be as personal as the pistol itself when it comes to comfort.

Good luck!

That is the best advice you're going to get.

The short form is what works for you may be uncomfortable for me. Holsters and pistols are sort of similar to shoes. ;)

RCS
08-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Do shops let you try on holsters? I wouldn't think so.

But I suppose I'll find a nice cheapie that people seem to prefer for quality and start there.

AK-J
08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
I concur with ubersoldate's advice... best advice really. If you ask the sales clerk, they might let you try them on. I know at gunshows a lot of venders have holsters with fake guns that you can try on.

Broondog
08-10-2010, 12:26 AM
it's too bad you decided against OC. i would have directed you towards the Blackhawk SERPA CQC paddle holster. i only OC and the Serpa is damned comfy even in a truck.

RCS
08-10-2010, 01:27 AM
it's too bad you decided against OC. i would have directed you towards the Blackhawk SERPA CQC paddle holster. i only OC and the Serpa is damned comfy even in a truck.

I plan to in the wintertime, but as for right now I'd like to get a good holster for summerwear.

Actually, I'm guessing that when I get my permit it will be coat weather--do you have a link or anything?

Citizen Pain
08-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I use an israelli front line holster. Its for a glock 26, but they make other models as well, high quality leather IWB holster.

Broondog
08-15-2010, 01:19 AM
I plan to in the wintertime, but as for right now I'd like to get a good holster for summerwear.

Actually, I'm guessing that when I get my permit it will be coat weather--do you have a link or anything?

feel free to do your own search but this is a really good price for a Serpa holster.

http://www.xdpistols.com/item/68247_Blackhawk_Holsters_Blkhwk_413507BK-R_Serpa_S.aspx

cciota
08-15-2010, 07:36 AM
I use a Crossbreed small of the back holster when I carry my XD9SC. I don't think they make that style anymore. It is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn. It takes a few day to loosen up but after that you barely even notice it. My neighbor also bought one and loves it. Plus, you can't beat the "try it for two weeks and if you don't like it, send it back". The lifetime warrenty is also nice.

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
RCS, a belated welcome to Gunsnet.
Where are you located in TN?

I use a paddle and just make sure my T-shirt covers it. I've never had anyone even notice it being there, and I was carrying a bulky Ruger P-95.

blobman
08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
my BIL just carries his in the stock holster that came with his gun (i think)

Maser**
08-15-2010, 11:05 AM
I preferr a holster that tips out at the top. It makes for a quicker draw.

RCS
08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
RCS, a belated welcome to Gunsnet.
Where are you located in TN?

I'm in the center of Oak Ridge. And thanks.

Also, I have tried the XD Gear holster and am not a fan. It's too tight on the weapon, making it hard to draw.

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=RCS;20842]I'm in the center of Oak Ridge. And thanks.

Hmm, My Mom worked at Oak Ridge in the A-bomb development facility during WWll.

RCS
08-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Hmm, My Mom worked at Oak Ridge in the A-bomb development facility during WWll.

There's a pretty rich history here if you get past all the low-lifes that inherited the area. There are some great folks, though, just few and far between. :D

I see you're in TN aswell, how far from the Ridge?

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 04:26 PM
There's a pretty rich history here if you get past all the low-lifes that inherited the area. There are some great folks, though, just few and far between. :D

I see you're in TN aswell, how far from the Ridge?

About 18 mi. SE of Nashville.

RCS
08-15-2010, 08:09 PM
About 18 mi. SE of Nashville.

That's quite a bit away--3 hours, I believe. I like the Western side alot better than here, I guess that's because I've only visited.