PDA

View Full Version : Magazine wiggle... Normal or fixable?

Texas Soldado
08-24-2011, 09:26 AM
I put a (slightly used) Saiga Ak Arsenal/LVNV conversion on lay-a-way. Comes with a plastic 30 rnd tapco (I think) waffle mag. Mag fit is tight lock up front to back but there is left/right play. I don't know if this is normal, if it isn't...can it be fixed? The price is $625, which seems good.
Any suggestions, ideas...comments?

O.S.O.K.
08-24-2011, 09:55 AM
:welcome: to the board!

Some left to right slop is normal and does not affect function.

The amount will vary with mag to mag as there is fairly wide spec for mag dimensions...

jojo
08-24-2011, 06:10 PM
It can be fixed if it is excessive but like OSOK said it is fairly common. Just curious does your receiver have the mag well dimples or not. I have heard of people JB welding a small square of metal on the inside of the receiver in the mag well area (both sides) to compensate for dimples. I'm not fond of "shade tree" repairs but if it fixes the problem then JB away. My concern would be that somehow it would come loose and cause a malfunction at the worst possible time.

Schuetzenman
08-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Magazine wiggle is how it should be on an AK. These weapons are not supposed to be close tolleranced and tight. That's why they work so reliably. Besides, a tight fitting mag is a slow to get inserted mag. Slow is not a desirable trait when reloading a rifle, slow gets you killed.

imanaknut
08-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Not only will you find the mag wiggling, but the gas piston should wiggle on the bolt carrier, the bolt is loose in the carrier, the carrier is loose on the rails, the gas tube can be loose behind the gas block.

One of the big reasons that the AK is so reliable is all the slop designed in! Truly an amazing weapon.

Texas Soldado
08-25-2011, 10:50 AM
I won't get this AK out of layaway until October probably so I can't study it for details until then. I am sure it has dimples already. As I said it is a Saiga/Arsenal LVNV conversion to standard AK. It looked new, mag was snug front to rear at attachment points. The concern I had was left & right wiggle and I was concerned maybe that was the reason it was in the used gun rack 4 sale.
I looked at GunBroker and I think $625 is a good price for used in good shape, new on GB is $699 or more.
I have had an Arsenal/Global/Gordon Tech SSR-99 milled for years, but I think now is a prudent time to add to the family, political climate and prices being factors.... I want stamped receivers, I think they are more durable. I am looking to add a 5.45 but I want to get the best one...

Izzy
09-03-2011, 10:11 PM
The concern I had was left & right wiggle and I was concerned maybe that was the reason it was in the used gun rack 4 sale.
I want stamped receivers, I think they are more durable. I am looking to add a 5.45 but I want to get the best one...

So long as it's tight front to back there will be no issues, very normal.

You are opening up a can of worms when you claim stamped is more durable...in terms of number of theoretical rounds fired or in terms of on horse back / field abuse ???? Please elucidate why you are of this belief.

Schuetzenman
09-04-2011, 05:42 AM
So long as it's tight front to back there will be no issues, very normal.

You are opening up a can of worms when you claim stamped is more durable...in terms of number of theoretical rounds fired or in terms of on horse back / field abuse ???? Please elucidate why you are of this belief.

I would concur there is no increase to durability of the stamped receiver vs. the milled receiver. The thing that is likely to wear out is the barrel and there is no difference between barrels other than the milled models usually have heavier barrels, thicker diameter barrels. The developmental history of the AK was sheet metal receivers came first, they broke and the Russians went to milled receivers. Eventually they figured out how to do a stamped sheet metal receiver and temper it so it wouldn't break and that's what became known as the AKM.

Texas Soldado
10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I read from more than one source that a replacement for milled receivers was sought for two reasons,
(1) cheaper manufacture cost of stamped receivers
(2) problems with cracks occurring when high number of rounds are fired.

I read the same thing in regard to the Israeli Galil rifles developing stress cracks especially when used full auto. I have had no problems with my Global Tech SSR-99, my Galil AR or my Golani, but then again, I haven't put 20,000 rounds through any of them.
I am in no way demonizing milled receivers, I think they are of highest quality however, if I am going to punish an AK with mucho rounds it will be a stamped receiver AK.

Partisan1983
10-06-2011, 12:10 AM
I read from more than one source that a replacement for milled receivers was sought for two reasons,
(1) cheaper manufacture cost of stamped receivers
(2) problems with cracks occurring when high number of rounds are fired.

I read the same thing in regard to the Israeli Galil rifles developing stress cracks especially when used full auto. I have had no problems with my Global Tech SSR-99, my Galil AR or my Golani, but then again, I haven't put 20,000 rounds through any of them.
I am in no way demonizing milled receivers, I think they are of highest quality however, if I am going to punish an AK with mucho rounds it will be a stamped receiver AK.

I read the reason for the cracks on the Galil receiver was they were using the ARM models with 50rd mags as a SAW (or LMG) which is not what it was designed to be, I.E. continueious mag dumps...