PDA

View Full Version : Need pocket folder suggestions, defensive weapon.

Cypher
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I usually carry a 4" Cold Steel Voyager Tanto folder but the belt clip keeps breaking and the CS customer support is not very helpful at all, no reply to 3 emails and when I called I was told they are on two month back order.... for a belt clip you screw on.....

So at any rate I am looking for a good quality folder, non-Cold Steel (I like CS but after the belt clip and customer service issue I would rather look for a different brand). Blade probably needs to be 3"-4" but anything that qualifies as a good fighting folder is a possibility.

I know there are some really good options out there but I haven't shopped for a blade in a while so I'm not very up to date on whats good.

Richard Simmons
08-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Question. Are you in favor of one particular lock style over another such as back lock, liner lock, frame lock, axis lock, etc? I take it that good CS is a must as it should be but any ceiling on price?

Not knowing any of the above the first possibilities that come to my mind are all knives I own and carry as I tend to suggest only what I know unless I'm sure of the reviews on stuff I haven't yet gotten.

1. Spyderco Military (blade steels and handle materials abound and prices run from sub $100 to $200+.

2. Kershaw Junkyard Dog II composite, (hell of a knife and probably the best value out there for a do all knife) Say around $75.00.

3. Buck 110, an olddy but a goody and you can get it with an S30v blade if you like.

Some of what I carry you can no longer buy on the retail market and some my be more than you want to spend but those are three I'd stand behind all day long.

( The Junkyard Dog I'm talking about is the JYD II. The standard JYD is a slightly smaller model)

Cypher
08-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm willing to look at any locking/opening mechanisms that are self defense friendly. All the folders I have used so far have been simple thumb tab opening lock backs.

I'm trying to spend around $60 but willing to go over if I really like a knife.

printerman
08-24-2011, 03:04 PM
....might want to look into Al Mar knives !!! Expensive , but quality as @#*"?!

I like the Greg Lightfoot CRKT with sharkfin ! If your not familar with a sharkfin it's one of the best idea's in ages to open quickly and safely "EVERYTIME" !!!

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp241/printerman-photo/gunsnet/CR-03K.jpg

I have the bottom one , half serated !!!

Richard Simmons
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
In that case I think the Kershaw Junkyard Dog II would be a nice one.

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/kershaw-blems/junk-yard-dog-ii/

Kershawguy, (Dave) is probably the finest, small, knife retailer you will ever find. I'll vouch for him without hesitation 24/7/365.

If the price doesn't put you off the Military I suggested earlier really is damn good at a lot of things.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/militarymodel-satinblade-plaincomboorserratededge.aspx

The JYD II is a flipper action which I like. The Military uses the Spydie Hole to open the blade which I also like and find very natural. If they meet your requirements and you like them I believe they would serve you exceedingly well for a lifetime.

Solidus-snake
08-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Hows that JYD flipper work?

Im REALLY liking that knife!

Richard Simmons
08-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Hows that JYD flipper work?

Im REALLY liking that knife!

I actually brought it to work today as my EDC. Hadn't carried it in a while though the past two weeks I have been carrying one Kershaw or another. Basically you hold it with the blade facing down, thumb on one side, middle and ring fingers on the other and index finger on the flipper tab. Just slide you index finger back across the tab, (I give a little wrist flip too) and the blade just flips open.

I've got three JYD II models. One in 13C26 stainless, the composite and one with SG2 steel and titanium scales. You'd have a tough time finding the last one but it's even better than the composite model, IMHO.

Cypher
08-25-2011, 08:41 AM
All of these knives look really nice. From what I read on that link I really like the JYD II knife, has multiple hardened metals, reminds me of a Japanese style blade.

How strong are the locking mechanisms on these blades? One thing I liked about the Cold Steel is they had strong locks that could hold up a good amount of weight.

Something else I wondered is as far as blade length laws go is there a specific length that is "legal" in the largest number of states or does it not make much difference?

Richard Simmons
08-25-2011, 09:07 AM
IIRC a back lock tends to be one of the stronger designs. I know that Spydergo Military has a "Heavy Duty" rating by Spyderco for it's Walker liner lock. IIRC that equates to 100 inch pounds per inch of blade in strength.

The JYDII is also a liner lock and very substantial. I'd be surprised if either one had a lock failure under normal use.

By "normal use" I mean cutting and slicing things that a knife is supposed to cut and slice. Trying to hammer it through a cinder block or a fence post as some have done isn't my idea of "normal" and therefore all bets on the lock holding up are off the table under those circumstances.

Another option that I would consider extremely rugged and a good choice for a self defense blade would be the Benchmade Rukus.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/rsim20011/IMGP2028.jpg

Unfortunately they are out of production. They made a large model (Model 610) like the one I posted above with a 4.25" S30v blade and a smaller (615 mini) with a 3.4" blade. They both use the extremely stong Axis lock and are fantastic knives, I've also got the mini that's identical to the large except for size.

Only problem is your not going to find either easily and if you do the price is going to be high. IIRC a large model like mine is bringing over $200 now on the secondary market. Still something you might keep an eye out for. There are deals out there to be had.

Cypher
08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I know it's a Cold Steel knife but has anyone dealt with the Ti-Light 4" knives?

I'm just looking around at as much stuff as I can.

Richard Simmons
08-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I know it's a Cold Steel knife but has anyone dealt with the Ti-Light 4" knives?

Sorry, no personal experience with that one. Did a google search but what reviews I could find were 2-3 years old so they might not be much help in CS has made any changes to the model. You might check out the forum on the Cold Steel website?

Solidus-snake
08-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Ive got my eyes on the JYD 2 composite model. Any places youd recommend getting one from Richard?

cevulirn
08-25-2011, 11:46 PM

I had one for a while.... I was not impressed. I'd take my Kershaw's or Spyderco's over one 10 days out of 10.

Richard Simmons
08-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I had one for a while.... I was not impressed. I'd take my Kershaw's or Spyderco's over one 10 days out of 10.

Dave aka Kershawguy sets the standard IMHO when it comes to Kershaw products. You'll get the best prices and super fast shipping. He just started his website by he's been selling as a dealer on Bladeforums for years in the Dealer For Sale section. I'd guess he's done a couple thousand sales, probably 20-30 with me alone and I've never heard of a less then stellar report on any of those deals.

Cypher
08-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Dave aka Kershawguy sets the standard IMHO when it comes to Kershaw products. You'll get the best prices and super fast shipping. He just started his website by he's been selling as a dealer on Bladeforums for years in the Dealer For Sale section. I'd guess he's done a couple thousand sales, probably 20-30 with me alone and I've never heard of a less then stellar report on any of those deals.

One thing I noticed is there isn't a thumb stud, does it flip out easy?

Richard Simmons
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
One thing I noticed is there isn't a thumb stud, does it flip out easy?

Like butta, especially if you add a little wrist action. Snapping open a JYD II is kind of like racking a pump shotgun. Nothing else sounds quite like it and it will for sure get your attention.

Cypher
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Like butta, especially if you add a little wrist action. Snapping open a JYD II is kind of like racking a pump shotgun. Nothing else sounds quite like it and it will for sure get your attention.

Something else I noticed from a picture is it seems like the belt clip would be pretty noticeable on your pocket if you tuck your shirt in. Does that seem to be the case? One of the things I liked about the oyager is the belt clip wasn't very noticeable and it was black so it blended in.

I like the easy flip open type knives. I'm going to Smokey Mountain Knife Works soon so I'll have to check and see if they have this one in stock and I can get a better look at it.

Richard Simmons
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Something else I noticed from a picture is it seems like the belt clip would be pretty noticeable on your pocket if you tuck your shirt in. Does that seem to be the case? One of the things I liked about the oyager is the belt clip wasn't very noticeable and it was black so it blended in.

I like the easy flip open type knives. I'm going to Smokey Mountain Knife Works soon so I'll have to check and see if they have this one in stock and I can get a better look at it.

The clip is about my only pet peeve with Kershaw products. They tend towards the large and some what gaudy but in all honesty I've never had one break on me. Some guys swap them out for less noticeable clips off other brands or modiey the original. SMKW would be a good place to lay your hand on one. Haven't checked their site in a while but they seem to have a pretty good assortment.

Integratedj
09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I carry a benchmade rift 950 with the combo edge on it. I absolutely love this knife and the axis lock is bomb proof. Before I bought mine a friend in kalifornistan decided he would test the strength of the axis lock on his rift. He clamped the blade down in a vice and proceeded to whack the frame with a hammer. Over and over again, not a failure to be had. Blade is nice and thick, and is very strong. Teng10 grip panels are great and have yet to slip from my sweaty hands at work. The reverse tonto type blade has proven very useful to me. It has all the strength and piercing benefits of a tonto without losing a useable belly. I use this knife daily. By use I don't mean open and look at. It's an all purpose knife, scraper, box cutter and game skinner for me. It resharpens well and holds an edge great. Mine is in 154cm, but other metals are available for the blade if you so choose.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/950

Benchmade also has lifetime sharpening service. You ship it to them with $5, they put a factory edge back on it and also make any warranty repairs, then ship it back to you.