PDA

View Full Version : Buck 110: rescued and cleaned up

FunkyPertwee
08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
My step-father found this under a house a few years ago, completely blackened and inside a rotting leather case. Then, he abandoned it in his garage for a few years. Well, the other day my pocket knife fell out in my truck and I didn't know where it was, so I grabbed this knife out of the garage before heading to a repair job. After using it, I decided it needed to be cleaned up.

Here it is:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/FunkyPertwee/100_2535.jpg
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/FunkyPertwee/100_2537.jpg
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/FunkyPertwee/100_2538.jpg

Richard Simmons
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Looks good! The 110 is one of my two most collected Buck models. FWIW yours dates to 1990 and has a blade made from 425M (modified) steel. Not bad looking at all for being 21 years old. Do you have the sheath too?

Full Otto
08-25-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't know knives but love seeing things brought back to life. Looks good

FunkyPertwee
08-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Looks good! The 110 is one of my two most collected Buck models. FWIW yours dates to 1990 and has a blade made from 425M (modified) steel. Not bad looking at all for being 21 years old. Do you have the sheath too?

I left the sheath in my parent's garage. Its green and purple and rotten. I've got the leather sheath from my 1989 finger groove 110 if I want to seriously carry this knife. I may do that, as I've avoided carrying my own because my father gave it to me as a child.

jojo
08-25-2011, 04:54 PM
I never understood why this particular knife had such a large following until a friend on mine showed me a trick with them. He had a hole drilled thru the rear bolster and had a circle of 550 cord run thru it, I guess the cord was about 12 inches long. He would put the knife in his rear pocket with the loop of cord hanging out. When he put his fingers thru the loop he could pull it out, swing it and the blade would open and the knife would be perfectly positioned in his had to cut. I would say that he could deploy that Buck faster than most could deploy a switch blade.

FunkyPertwee
08-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Since I'm already at it, I may as well go ahead and ask you about the Buck Collector's Club, Inc.

What is it?

FunkyPertwee
08-25-2011, 05:00 PM
I never understood why this particular knife had such a large following until a friend on mine showed me a trick with them. He had a hole drilled thru the rear bolster and had a circle of 550 cord run thru it, I guess the cord was about 12 inches long. He would put the knife in his rear pocket with the loop of cord hanging out. When he put his fingers thru the loop he could pull it out, swing it and the blade would open and the knife would be perfectly positioned in his had to cut. I would say that he could deploy that Buck faster than most could deploy a switch blade.

The model 110 has a following simply because its an American classic, like Smith & Wesson revolvers.

The brass and the wood are just super classy.

Richard Simmons
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Since I'm already at it, I may as well go ahead and ask you about the Buck Collector's Club, Inc.

What is it?

From our charter:

BCCI

PURPOSE and MISSION

The main purpose of this organization is to educate the public as to the role that the knife plays in developing the culture of the world and especially in the United States of America and the craftsmanship and the creative artistic value of the making of the knife.

More specifically our Mission is:

To help educate the general public, military, law enforcement and youth groups that the knife is one of man's oldest and most useful tools rather than a weapon and should be used as such.
To foster and promote the hobby of collecting 'BUCK' knives and memorabilia.
To stimulate and cultivate social interest and fellowship among members.
To perpetuate the quality, spirit and traditions of Buck Knives, Inc. and their founders.
To hold an annual meeting and show, regional meetings and shows and social gatherings for the better understanding of the above purposes.

That's the official description. Basically it's men and women who enjoy knives in general and Buck knives in particular. Some of our members have some fantastic and detailed Buck displays for a variety of models that they set up at knife shows all over the U.S. Besides the obvious benefits to membership like yearly discounts on Buck knives and products, quarterly newsletters, etc., you also have decades and decades of collecting experience within the membership to aid in your own collecting. We have yearly get togethers. In fact for the clubs 25th anniversary in 2013 we're celebrating at the Buck factory in Post Falls, ID. If you've got an interest in Buck knives and enjoy the company of others with the same interest it's a great organization to be a part of.