PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds....

goyena70
08-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Another newbie question. I read about guy's going to shoot their AK's and firing off 200 to 300 rounds a session. My question is, is there a limit as to how many shots you can get off before over heating? How long should you let the rifle cool down before continuing?

FunkyPertwee
08-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Just use your hands to tell. If the barrel feels like you could fry an egg on it, then let it cool down. The rifle won't blow up if you don't let it cool down, you'll just wear the barrel out at an accelerated rate.

Helen Keller
08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Another newbie question. I read about guy's going to shoot their AK's and firing off 200 to 300 rounds a session. My question is, is there a limit as to how many shots you can get off before over heating? How long should you let the rifle cool down before continuing?

common sense, IMHO

In all actuality , you should be working on MARKSMANSHIP skills with said rifle VS making noise/hot barrel.

jojo
08-27-2011, 07:55 PM
This guy is pushing the envelope. If you're not doing this then you're ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAohtjG14c

Sergi762
08-27-2011, 08:37 PM

BET you that guy is on the Club fed guest list after that stunt..

ltorlo64
08-27-2011, 08:45 PM

I bet this video started with the quote "Hey Bubba, watch this".

O.S.O.K.
08-27-2011, 09:37 PM
That's easy to do - just apply oil liberally prior to shooting... it's also stupid IMHO

And as to how many rounds - you will find that just shooting single shots and taking the time to change mags slowly and maybe looking at your targets through the spoting scope will be plenty of time.

Regardless as said, it'll be obvious when the barrel starts to get hot - it'll smoke a bit - when it does that, stop shooting and let it cool for 15 minutes or so.

goyena70
08-27-2011, 10:34 PM
common sense, IMHO

In all actuality , you should be working on MARKSMANSHIP skills with said rifle VS making noise/hot barrel.
I am 71 years old sir, noise is not really something I enjoy.

stinker
08-28-2011, 12:13 AM

Yup...Don't do this and you'll be good.
Granted it's different rifles but it gives you an idea how many actual rounds it takes too with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY

binky59
08-28-2011, 02:07 PM

This question's easy: You fire the AK until it heats up, then you pick up the other AK and by the time you fire 200 rnds the other AK will be cool. That is assuming that you have more than one AK, doesn't everyone:mgwhore:

Makasaurus
08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
I live in the PRK (Californa) where you can only have 10 round mags. Even so it gets plenty hot, firing aimed shots it gets hot to hold in 80 rounds. When it starts to get uncomfortable to hold is when i take a short break - i block the bolt open with something to help it cool faster, then reload mags and maybe make a head call (those fabulous porta potties at the range) for 5 minutes and its cool enough.
also i let the gun cool to where you can comfortably touch the barrel before i put it away for the drive home, but that's just common sense - who wants to melt the foam in the gun case to the barrel and have to clean it off etc, not me.

Integratedj
10-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Back when ammo was $69 for 1k cases a friend of mine and I would buy two on a Friday and hit the desert Saturday morning with our sar1's. Both of those cases would be gone by 10-11am. I've shot mine until the barrel turned a dull cherry red, and I've shot it so hot the barrel looked like it was turning white and powdery out in the sunlight. We set his hand guards on fire once. Both aks are fine. Mine is still a 2.5moa gun like it always was. We did this numerous times over a 2 year period. My only regret about it is not stockpiling the crap out of the ammo then when it was so cheap.

Shoot the crao out of your romy. It'll love you for it. If it gets to hot to hold, wrap a rag around your left hand and keep going.

NAPOTS
10-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Yup...Don't do this and you'll be good.
Granted it's different rifles but it gives you an idea how many actual rounds it takes too with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY

THat took a lot more ammo then I thought it would

imanaknut
10-15-2011, 12:47 PM
In all seriousness, the AK can take more heat then most humans can, unless you are wearing gloves, then it is possible to get the wood handguards on fire, or melt plastic ones and not really hurt the rifle.

That said there was one range session where my daughter put a 100 round drum under our Poly Tech Legend and preceded to empty it firing about one shot per second (true aimed fire) until it was empty. The handguards were smoking, but still barely able to be held.

In normal use, as we who used to have rights that shall not be infringed have, since you are using a rifle designed for full auto fire, in semi-auto mode and with normal mag change times, you will be able to fire quite a few rounds safely before it getting too hot to hold.

Word of warning (my conscience makes me say this) use extreme caution after firing as the metal of an AK can get deceptively hot and give immediate severe burns if you accidentally slide off the handguard onto any of the surrounding metal.

circuits
10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
By my count that was 810 rounds before the gas tube warped enough that the bolt carrier gas key caught it and pushed the already-softened tube out the front of the receiver, and bent it. With no gas making it back into the carrier key, it became a single shot.

An AK type would not have experienced that particular failure, since "gas tube" is really just a piston guide, though I'm sure it would have been glowing cherry red, too, after that many rounds.

The barrel looked to me like it was starting to droop, too - so it woudn't have been long before a blowout failure somewhere along the barrel, and that can happen to any firearm if you get it hot enough.

Signman01
10-23-2011, 10:03 AM
More like: "Ya'll Stand Back, I Saw this in a Moviie Once".

O.S.O.K.
10-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I am 71 years old sir, noise is not really something I enjoy.

:lool:

I'm 50 and I put the foam ear plugs in and then muffs at the range. It's covered and that amplifies the sound...