PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Romanian AK sight unseen and it is WASR Single stack

Pack Rat
08-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Where do I buy replacement mags? I would like to buy a couple more 10 round magazines. It is single stack or am I going to have to replace `10 parts and make it double stack. Did not want to do this right a way. I dont know how much I am going to like this weapon and would like to shoot it some before modding it. Thanks Pack Rat

FunkyPertwee
08-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I'd sell it and get a double stack.

O.S.O.K.
08-27-2011, 05:46 PM
:welcome: to the board.

I looked all around for a source of mags - zip. You'd think that Century would stock them given that they're the source for the carbines - nope.

I would suggest just doing the magwell conversion. It's really very easy - we can help you here. If you have a dremel tool, you can download the "blueprint" to follow and then just use a drum sander attachment to open the mag well up.

Then, replace the fire control group with a G-2 and the gas piston with a US made replacement and you're done and can legally use the available-everywhere 30 round mags.

FunkyPertwee
08-27-2011, 05:53 PM
:welcome: to the board.

I looked all around for a source of mags - zip. You'd think that Century would stock them given that they're the source for the carbines - nope.

I would suggest just doing the magwell conversion. It's really very easy - we can help you here. If you have a dremel tool, you can download the "blueprint" to follow and then just use a drum sander attachment to open the mag well up.

Then, replace the fire control group with a G-2 and the gas piston with a US made replacement and you're done and can legally use the available-everywhere 30 round mags.

I thought the newer single stack WASR rifles don't already have the plates welded to the inside on the receiver. I thought they were also missing the "feed ramp".

Sergis Bauer
08-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I recently bought a WASR-2 imported by Century. How does one go about making the mags less wobbly? It feeds fine, it just annoys me.

Pack Rat
08-27-2011, 10:48 PM
It just seems funny that they come up with this " legal" gun but you have to modify it to make it usable. Conversion planned.

raxar
08-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but I recently bought a WASR-2 imported by Century. How does one go about making the mags less wobbly? It feeds fine, it just annoys me.

the easiest way would be to buy mags that don't wobble. otherwise try putting strips of electrical tape on the top of the mag where it contacts the reciever.

deth502
08-28-2011, 12:23 PM

thats only 4 parts. werent these imported as legal rifles because of the single stack? that would make the receiver imported too, by my count, youd need another 2 parts.

binky59
08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd try looking on the Gun Broker site, I've seen single stack mags on there as of this week.
as far as mag wooble on a WASR 10, try Tapco mags, they seem to fit tighter than the
metal slabside mags.

deth502
08-28-2011, 06:42 PM
there used to be stickies on this on the old site, but the mag wobble in the wasr's is due to the fact that they were not designed for double stack mags. they were imported as single stack guns and milled out to accept double stack mags. the receivers, therefore, have never had teh "dimples" in them that "normal" ak's have that support the magazine laterally.

one of the most common fixes was to epoxy shims into the receiver where the dimples should have been to stabilize the mags.

Makasaurus
08-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Buy Single-stack mags HERE

http://www.buymilsurp.com/ak47-parts-accessories-ak-rifle-magazines-c-3548_28_30.html

the one you want is about 3/4 down the page.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/marc780/WASRMAG2.jpg

They are not cheap, but this is the only source i can find. Sorry i just noticed it says "Sold OUT"...i bought ONE mag i guess i should have bought more.

i have one each ss and DS...I do not have anywhere to do the work so i bought a single stack for $480 OTD stack with the intention of converting to double later...i really like both of them. When you are ready to convert, here's an article that may be helpful. There are also a couple youtube videos.
I always think twice before i mangle a gun. I live in the P.R.K. (Kalifornia) so everything gun-related is golden. Despite having 30 years in automotive with experience in every tool you could name, it's not easy for me to undertake anything irreversible.

Even so, if you work patiently, have a good place to do the work, a dremel (get the most powerful one, clean it up and take it back to Sears if you are poor like me.) and, plenty of time and a lot of spare bits (you can always take the unused ones back, so i would buy twice as much as i think i'd need) and you can do it.

http://guncentral.net/Articles/LoCap-HiCap.html

here's a two part youtube from some fellow called whitenilus uh, quick and dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huW2YewyDe8

Makasaurus
08-29-2011, 02:03 AM
You can either pad a vise and squish the receiver a bit - why not? or spot weld/jb weld in metal on one side of the well or the other. Youtube has one or two videos on how.
My double stack WASR has mag wobble that varies, depending on the mag but functions flawlessly. I think front to back wobble is more problematic then side to side. I use only Eastern Europe steel mags, they are cheap and work well. If you are in a Free state buy them from anybody. If you are in the PRK or other mag capacity restriction state buy them here:

http://www.solartactical.com/10-30-MAGS_c22.htm

the tapco 10 round plastic it came with is worthless (no metal reinforcement and the plastic is half gone after 40 rounds. DO. NOT. WANT.)

insider
08-29-2011, 03:17 AM
Uh Oh! ARS can do the mag well conversion for you, I think he also presses in the dimples too.

Makasaurus
08-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Who is ARS? I live in Orange county, Kalif and NOT ONE gunsmith will work on AK's.
I suspect the cost of an hour's careful dremel work vs paying someone else, might make this prohibitive - if he could afford a milled Tantal he'd have just bought one.

If you do this i have been told, buy a STEEL mag for the test fit and machining, DO NOT use plastic. It is much easier to jam in a plastic mag then have mag wobble on the steel mags (much better magazines and the whole reason one undertakes this project in the first place.). The tapco 10 round mag that came with my WASR DS is useless. After only 5 mag dumps it was already wearing out. no steel reinforcement and never going to buy another plastic mag that does not have this feature.

Pack Rat
09-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Found 4 Mags on Gunbroker. I bought them. Three fit and the fourth is different.Is there two types of single stacks?

Full Otto
09-17-2011, 06:18 PM
How is it different?

Pack Rat
09-17-2011, 06:28 PM
The spot where the catch is is off 1/8 inch. Will post picture later.

imanaknut
09-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Found 4 Mags on Gunbroker. I bought them. Three fit and the fourth is different.Is there two types of single stacks?

Welcome to the group, Pack Rat !!!! :welcome:

There in fact were two different single stack mads, the Romanian and one for a version from Maadi. They are not interchangeable and unfortunately many people don't know it.

Don't let anyone kid you about having a single stack WASR-10. I have one in my collection as well, and intend to keep it single stack. One day they will be museum pieces because everyone else modified the mag well to accept standard AK mags. ;) ;)

Full Otto
09-17-2011, 06:46 PM
The spot where the catch is is off 1/8 inch. Will post picture later.

Like this by any chance?
http://i56.tinypic.com/jjsghg.jpg

Forget the trigger guard picture

Pack Rat
09-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes it ir off about an 1/8 right there. Latch will not snap past. It is marked Romanian,

Full Otto
09-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah I think they made some that were specific to a certain rifle. Not sure of a fix though maybe just keep looking at it you may come up with something.
Three out of four's not bad sometimes it just works out that way