PDA

View Full Version : CZ VZ 58?

wisecane
08-28-2011, 06:57 PM
What is the scoop on these weapons? I love the quality CZ has on their Bolt guns and I know the VZ58 was discontinued, but has anyone here had any real experience with these?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

FunkyPertwee
08-28-2011, 07:16 PM
There are a few members here who have been happy with their century parts kit VZ rifles. Also, I've read good things about the Czechpoint rifles. Supposedly those are finished very nicely and include chrome-lined barrels.

I've wanted one for a long time. Something about an evolved SKS that love.

imanaknut
08-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Have two, love both! Neither a Century rifle. Reliable as any should be, and fairly accurate. About the only issue I have is that they (at least mine) eject the shells straight up, which makes it strange to aim a follow up shot and have the empty drop down and bounce off the receiver. Worse when it bounces off and lands on my arm!!!!

Seriously, very nice rifles, lots of fun!

wisecane
08-28-2011, 07:54 PM
imanaknut,

So your rifles were distributed by CZ American? I was on their site when I "discovered" that they had made some.

imanaknut
08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Mine is a CZ rifle but was distributed by Tennessee Guns right when they were first available. Quality of build is exactly what you would expect from CZ

wisecane
08-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks man, you are making it easy.

imanaknut
08-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Want to make it easier???

The top one is a VZ-2000 built by Ohio Ordnance Works many years ago when virtually no one knew what a VZ-58 was. It was sort of a gift to me by the owner of the company who I became friendly with thru the gun-show circuit.

Bottom one is the "true" VZ-58".

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/537/medium/VZ2000_VZ58.JPG

Apologies for the poor photo. I had just gotten a new digital camera, and as being an old film camera person, had yet to figure out it's color balance. :D

wisecane
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
LOL my brother-in-law and I are really thinking of purchasing matching AK's and we were looking at these:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/vz-58-tactical-sporter/

imanaknut
08-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Glad to see the rifle in your link has a 30 round mag because if I am not mistaking, the standard "Tactical Sporter" usually has a single stack, 10 round mag.

One thing to note, the VZ-58 uses a proprietary mag and is not interchangable with an AK mag. They just look similar and use the the same ammo. In fact the ammo is the only thing common between the VZ and AK.

FunkyPertwee
08-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Glad to see the rifle in your link has a 30 round mag because if I am not mistaking, the standard "Tactical Sporter" usually has a single stack, 10 round mag.

One thing to note, the VZ-58 uses a proprietary mag and is not interchangable with an AK mag. They just look similar and use the the same ammo. In fact the ammo is the only thing common between the VZ and AK.

It should be noted that the VZ-58 is compatible with SKS stripper clips. (AFAIK)

imanaknut
08-29-2011, 08:40 PM
This is correct. There is a slot in the receiver to allow the rifle to be loaded using a stripper.

squid0812
08-30-2011, 01:41 AM
I almost bought one. It was a toss between cz and an m74. In the end the bulgy won on price of ammo. I still want that cz though

wisecane
08-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Ok so I just learned something. The CZ won't take standard AK Mags? Can they be modified to use them? One of the things my Bro-in-law and I are adamant about is that whatever we buy be compatible with standard mags and other accessories.

El Laton Caliente
08-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Can they be modified to use them?

The short answer is no. It COULD be done but not easy and could cost in time and/or money what it would to but an AK to go with it. The VZ mags are not that expensive though. I bought a could of 4 packs with leather pouch & cleaning kit for $39.95 each a while back but I think they are higher now.

wisecane
08-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks, could you share a link to where you found them?