PDA

View Full Version : One mans thoughts on surviving SHTF in Argentina - Ferfal

btcave
08-09-2010, 09:32 PM
This is a good read. This happened and the man gives food for thought. It's a long read but worth it.

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html

HDR
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Without a doubt he got sick because there are lots of new viruses in my country that can’t be found in 1st world countries. The misery and famine lead us to a situation where, even though you have food, shelter and health care, most of others don’t, and therefore they get sick and spread the diseases all over the region.

It seems an economic collapse has some similarities to a war zone.

El Jefe
08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
I read some of that about 2 years ago, lots of food for thought.

L1A1Rocker
08-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I read some of that about 2 years ago, lots of food for thought.

+1 and +1

Bluedog
08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Fiction. Fantasy. Take your pic. Just remember, if what he says really happened, he's NOT and American, and so of course he would not write and sound like an American, and would not use American slang, now would he?

El Jefe
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Fiction. Fantasy. Take your pic. Just remember, if what he says really happened, he's NOT and American, and so of course he would not write and sound like an American, and would not use American slang, now would he?

I don't actually know to be honest. But it does occur to me that if he went to college in the US and if he made a habit of watching American television shows he could easily pick up a lot of American slang and such.

:conf44:

American Rage
08-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't know if he's right or wrong, I just know things are scary as hell.

I'm currently stuck in a traditional suburb. Land is just to the east of me, but all prices seem to start at about $25K more than I can afford. I could move further out, but the the cost of gas comes into play. Anyway, I keep looking. Luckily, I believe some metro areas are set to be better off than others, simply due to location and culture.

OTOH, I'd hate like hell to be caught in one of the megaopolises like Houston, L.A., Chicago, NYC or practically any big city on either seaboard. Places like Dallas, St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincy, Indianapolis and other interior cities will suffer as well, but not like the big coastal cities. Of course, I think I could see Las Vegas literally wither away in the next 50-100 years. Think about it, its only purpose is gambling and vice, it's in the middle of the desert, and if there is no money to be gambled there is no reason for it to exist. Besides, other regions controlling its water supply will want that water for itself.

Omaha, Okc, Tulsa, Salt Lake, will all be better off, but Wichita, Lubbock, Amarillo, and other smaller cities like them will do much better yet. In short, if there is a lot farmland nearby, it can go a long way to feeding a population. And that's why small communities will do best of all. In the big cities things will get very interesting.

Also, some States are richer in natural resources than others. My state, for instance, has coal, natural gas, and oil, as well as an abundance of farmland. I can't help but believe all the above will play a factor in whether a city or State does well or poorly over the next generation.

And don't discount culture, I'd rather be in an area where people are religious and have faith than an area where they have neither.

We live in interesting times.

Rage

HDR
08-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't actually know to be honest. But it does occur to me that if he went to college in the US and if he made a habit of watching American television shows he could easily pick up a lot of American slang and such.

:conf44:

As his knowledge is based on reality it should be good. OTOH, this isn't Argentina so as Rage said "don't discount culture."