PDA

View Full Version : Advice in purchasing an AK

Ash
08-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Looking around and things have changed alot since I used to look through shotgun news at the different AK's out there. What I'm looking for is a cheap, functional, AK to start with. I'm considering some stock/rail options down the road, but for now just want to start with something solid. I've been seeing more of these WASR AK's floating around and was wondering what the deal is with these? Are they superior/inferior to the older Romanian/Chinese/Russian ones you see around here and there at gun shops etc?

Also I wanted to see how much I should expect to spend for one. Is $400 a good cost estimate?

Thanks

-Ash

Sergi762
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
many here consider the WASR series of AK's to be bottom-of-the-barrel AK variant rifles. their fit and finish as-is could be far better and I cannot say I am a fan of their bored out receivers: going from single stack to the standard double stack magazines smacks of future feeding issues. most do have the Chrome lined barrel though and that is a plus. to be quick and blunt I'd recommend you buy a Bulgarian AK from centerfire and change out the fiber stock with a good American made wooden or polymer set.
so far as the old versus new? The old imported rifles are better than the new wasrs in terms of fit & finish. so far as price ;$400 is the lowest commonly seen for new rifles but used guns MIGHT be cheaper assuming you can haggle with the owner.
HOWEVER Wasr AKs are like all AKs in the respect that they work, will perform and will do what is needed/expected of AK variant rifles. if you buy a Wasr spend some time on it and with some work it can be as good as others.it's gust it won't be as pretty or as "smooth" as the other types. know what you want in a gun and go from there.

imanaknut
08-29-2011, 03:11 PM
WASRs can never match the quality of the earlier Romanian SAR series if you ignore the junk that Century used for compliance to the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. The reason is as stated above, because WASRs are imported with sporting receivers with single stack width mag openings and depending on how well they are opened to accept standard AK mags, they are either great rifles or trouble.

The Chinese are miles above the Romanians in quality because they were pure commercial rifles and the Chinese desperately wanted a part of the US firearm market. Unfortunately George Bush the First banned them because they looked too "evil" and he believed that evil weapons caused honest people to become evil. william jefferson clinton then banned Chinese military style weapons outright, so they are getting pricey and harder to come by.

If you can find a WASR for $400 or less, and can inspect it before purchase, you should be able to tell how well it was put together and if the mag fits snuggly and lines up well in the receiver.

Bulgarian rifles are nice, but these days there is no such thing as a pure import as all have to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment and cannot have more than 10 imported countable parts in them. Many are Euro parts built on US made receivers, and it depends on who built them as to how well they function.

AKs are hard to screw up, but Century Imports and the ATF keep trying to do it.

squid0812
08-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Some would disagree but, i would go with a Bulgy M74 from CIA. Mine is outstanding, i have been nothing but pleased with it. Only cons are the furnature and a non chrome lined. For 350.00 though i can get passed that.

SouthernArmament
09-03-2011, 09:47 PM
think of the most expensive price you can afford without cringing. Then cut that by 25%. if you can go 5 or 6 go Polish, maybe an underfolder. Don't just get the cheapest thing out there.
I can't say a whole lot because I sell mine for high dollar, but they are worth every penny. I take time, do the finishing right (no spray paint!!!!) and make sure everything is lined up works right, trim rivots that I know are going to be too long.... yadda yadda...
remember this always- when dealing with guns, you get what you pay for.

squid0812
09-04-2011, 03:19 AM
think of the most expensive price you can afford without cringing. Then cut that by 25%. if you can go 5 or 6 go Polish, maybe an underfolder. Don't just get the cheapest thing out there.
I can't say a whole lot because I sell mine for high dollar, but they are worth every penny. I take time, do the finishing right (no spray paint!!!!) and make sure everything is lined up works right, trim rivots that I know are going to be too long.... yadda yadda...
remember this always- when dealing with guns, you get what you pay for.

I agree with you to a certain extent however,i would shoot down a potential weapon on price alone

NineFiveBravo
09-07-2011, 09:33 AM
I have had Norinco, AMD, Maadi, Polish, and Multiple WASR type rifles that I have either purchased, or built myself. The Norinco was the better rifle that I had, in my opinion... trigger was smooth as one could wish for. WASR on average, as others pointed out, are at the bottom of the barrel in terms of aesthetics and general craftsmanship. However, all my WASR rifles worked just as good as the others I mentioned, and for the price I paid for them, I was willing to "go to work" on these guns, which I did. Have fun... stain the wood, shave it, paint it, grind/polish/buff parts of it. Make it your own, and have fun with it. You don't need to pay $700 like I did to get a MAK90... great gun, but at the end of the day, its a showpiece that shoots. Romy accomplished the same, minus the purebred looks, for half the cost.