PDA

View Full Version : ....all joking aside , if someone really wanted "the best AK" what .....

printerman
08-30-2011, 03:12 PM
All joking aside , if somebody really wanted perhaps the best of every feature in an AK , what would those features be ?

Example : Romanian or Bulgarian or other ? Stamped or Milled ?

Lots of variables here but certainly an ideal weapon with nothing but the best quality could , should and perhaps does exist !!!

Several years ago there was one really quality AK that someone had posted , never saw it again and it was far from ordinary !!!

Of course opinions will vary greatly but with quality , dependability , function and even looks there has to be an actual "most rad AK" (and yes cyber-twerbs mine doesn't even begin to qualify)

Richard Simmons
08-30-2011, 03:23 PM
My guess would be something build on the RPK style VEPR receiver. It's supposed to be pretty strong.

davepool
08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
My guess would be something build on the RPK style VEPR receiver. It's supposed to be pretty strong.

I'd agree with that.

M14
08-30-2011, 04:29 PM
You can't go wrong with a Valmet or a milled Bulgie.

yankeedog
08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Buy a Wasr10 add a few features and shoot the hell out of it everyday!

Richard Simmons
08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
You can't go wrong with a Valmet or a milled Bulgie.

+1 on the Valmet. Arguably the finest, most advanced rendition of an AK ever made. The Galil might be a close second,

Sergi762
08-30-2011, 04:43 PM
I'll pass om the Golani knock off. No thank you.

imanaknut
08-30-2011, 04:52 PM
I too would have to vote for a VEPR since it is so close to an actual RPK without getting ATF in a snit.

In actual AK configuration, the Poly Tech Legends were the closest thing you could get to a true AK Type 3 that again, ATF would allow us to have in the land of shall not be infringed.

alismith
08-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Polytech, or Norinco, milled receiver AK. It's hard to beat the Chinese when it comes to AKs.

Ruskiegunlover
08-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Its hard to beat a YUGO when it comes to quality ak's. I just wish the yugo's would make a high cap without the gas valve. With dimples, bulged trunnions, and the same quality.

Skarmajunga
08-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Another vote for the vepr, accuracy up the wazoo for an ak!

El Duce
08-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I love my Poly tech legend underfolder! (I thought that this was a non gun forum?)

imanaknut
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Good catch El Duce. Moved to a more appropriate forum.

El Duce
08-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I love my Poly tech legend underfolder! (I thought that this was a non gun forum?)

I bought in the "ban days" at a gun show. First AK I ever bought! Matter of fact, I came to this website to learn about what ak I should buy!

squid0812
08-30-2011, 09:12 PM
I like Krebs custom

imanaknut
08-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Yep, among my prize catches is my Legend underfolders... :thumbspbig::smiley31:

printerman
08-31-2011, 08:34 AM
I like Krebs custom

I'm also partial to Krebs ! Marc put together my Romy ! Tweeked my trigger group and set me up just right !!!

Krupski
08-31-2011, 09:22 AM
All joking aside , if somebody really wanted perhaps the best of every feature in an AK , what would those features be ?

Example : Romanian or Bulgarian or other ? Stamped or Milled ?

Lots of variables here but certainly an ideal weapon with nothing but the best quality could , should and perhaps does exist !!!

Several years ago there was one really quality AK that someone had posted , never saw it again and it was far from ordinary !!!

Of course opinions will vary greatly but with quality , dependability , function and even looks there has to be an actual "most rad AK" (and yes cyber-twerbs mine doesn't even begin to qualify)

Stamped AK. Kalashnikov originally designed the rifle with a milled receiver. The first stampings were not made correctly (improper heat treat, improper riveting) and were flimsy. The stamped AKM is lighter than milled and every bit as strong.

For sights, iron or red-dot or scope... as long as it's Russian and mounts on the side plate.

Magazine: Steel original or (drool.....) an orange Bakelite original.

Furniture: Original. Wood and either wood or polymer grip (whatever the original had).

Sling: Original leather or canvas with leather tabs.

Rails, flashlights, lasers, MRE holders, inflatable tent, etc....... NO. NO. NO!!!

Richard Simmons
08-31-2011, 09:28 AM
Is there a manufacturer that is using the VEPR receiver for their builds?

Also, what is the general consensus regarding Red Jacket AKs? Obviously they have their own TV show "Sons of Guns" but is their stuff really any good?

El Laton Caliente
08-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Polytech
Original Zavasta Yugos
Valmet
IMI Galil
VEPR

I own several/most of these. IMHO the Galil are the best battlefield rifles. They just work for me. I like the 35 and 50 round mags. I like the accuracy. I like the cocking handle location.

I like the Valmets a lot, but parts are almost unobtainium now.

The Polys and Yugos have the best fit and finish.

The VEPR would likely be a second choice, but the more accurate caibers are lacking good mags.

raxar
08-31-2011, 08:28 PM
You guys are forgetting Feg, a good SA-85m will give any pretty ak a run for it's money

Bluedog
08-31-2011, 08:51 PM
The Stamped Valmet and Sako used to be the best AK in the world, but time and innovation has passed it buy. The Galil never was, because it was too heavy. The best AK in the world is the Kbs wz. 1996 Beryl. It retains everything that works about the AK, ads a modern caliber, and acceptable levels of mission adaptability. Of course, this is if by "best" you mean the best fighting rifle. If by "best" you mean the best made, highest quality, that would be boutique guns, such as the Krebs, or Polytech legend, early Bulgarian sourced Arsenal rifles, Mitchell import Yugos, and Hungarian SA85. Oh, and imported Galils and Valmets, of course.

irierider
09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Krebs makes some pretty great stuff if you are looking for a more unconventional AK, here is mine I picked up for a bit over 600$ with the red dot scope and a few mags.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff420/CWalkerPhotography/AK.jpg
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff420/CWalkerPhotography/AK2.jpg
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff420/CWalkerPhotography/AK3.jpg
I thought long and hard about my first AK from the world of ARs known as my gunsafe! I thought he really did some great things to get them to be a real good all around shooter! Check out his new SS 6.5 Grendel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhAcUNjBrNE
Very nice guns love mine

Lysander
09-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm with Bluepedo, the best AK variant in current production is the Beryl.

SouthernArmament
09-03-2011, 09:53 PM
obviously the Southern Armament.. lol...

Kalishnikov bulgarian chinese... the top three....

Galil is deffinately awesome but not so interchangeable.... thats the only problem

roodyjay
09-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Another vote for the Vepr! It's a thing of beauty:zzombie:,

mattg
09-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Is there a manufacturer that is using the VEPR receiver for their builds?

Also, what is the general consensus regarding Red Jacket AKs? Obviously they have their own TV show "Sons of Guns" but is their stuff really any good?

Word on the street is that [before the show] Red Jacket had quality control issues – some rifles were built properly, while others were complete nightmares for their owners. As you might expect, the show now has compounded the problem and even more focus has been shifted from craftsmanship and diverted to show nonsense. If this is indeed true, it's a shame. Red Jacket has an opportunity do something great or they can blow it.

insider
09-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Pre-ban are The Best Ak's-
Milled-Polytech, Valmet, Galil
Stamped-Polytech, Valmet, Yugo (Mitchell), Hungarian Feg
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/insider/HAPPYNEWYEAR017.jpg
Nothing but the best!