PDA

View Full Version : Libya & Algeria

Joey
08-31-2011, 12:22 AM
The usual excellent analysis from Robert Fisk (http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-algeria-sends-the-west-a-message-by-taking-in-gaddafis-brood-2346599.html).

Algeria itself possesses the eighth-largest natural gas reserves in the world and is the fourth-largest gas exporter. Beneath its deserts lie 12.5 billion barrels of oil reserves and 27 per cent of current oil exports are bought by the United States. Algerians are well aware that if Libya's national export was potatoes, the West would no more have intervened than it would have invaded Iraq if Saddam Hussein's principal resource was asparagus.

I didn't know Algeria had so much oil and gas. No doubt they'll be invaded - again - by the West in years to come. Possibly sooner rather than later.

Oswald Bastable
08-31-2011, 12:39 AM
The usual excellent analysis from Robert Fisk (http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-algeria-sends-the-west-a-message-by-taking-in-gaddafis-brood-2346599.html).

I didn't know Algeria had so much oil and gas. No doubt they'll be invaded - again - by the West in years to come. Possibly sooner rather than later.

What, has BP offered up some Algerian terrorist in exchange for drilling rights again?

Joey
08-31-2011, 12:45 AM
What, has BP offered up some Algerian terrorist in exchange for drilling rights again?

Ha! I know little about the Algerian petrochemical industry, except that Algerian crude, like Libyan crude, is high quality - light & sweet - and very easy to get at. You just run a road through the desert, sink a well, and pipe the stuff out.

Compare that to the costs and dangers of deep sea extraction off the West coast of the UK mainland or in the Gulf. Algeria: expect NATO warplanes overhead, and Western pontificating about Algerian "Freedum", shortly.

old Grump
08-31-2011, 12:51 AM

I didn't know Algeria had so much oil and gas. No doubt they'll be invaded - again - by the West in years to come. Possibly sooner rather than later.And what country are we getting our oil from in such great quantities that it paid for us to invade?

Oswald Bastable
08-31-2011, 01:09 AM
Ha! I know little about the Algerian petrochemical industry, except that Algerian crude, like Libyan crude, is high quality - light & sweet - and very easy to get at. You just run a road through the desert, sink a well, and pipe the stuff out.

Compare that to the costs and dangers of deep sea extraction off the West coast of the UK mainland or in the Gulf. Algeria: expect NATO warplanes overhead, and Western pontificating about Algerian "Freedum", shortly.

Probably mostly pFrench planes in that run...

But as I understand it, for the most part deep sea drilling has been pretty effective, safe and environmentally sound, both in the North Sea and the Gulf. Yes, there were a couple of incidents recently...oh wait, whose wells were those? Weren't those BP wells and rigs?

What's this? Brit incompetence at the fore?

Joey
08-31-2011, 02:18 AM
And what country are we getting our oil from in such great quantities that it paid for us to invade?

None, but that doesn't seem to have stopped you. But it's about long term security of supply.

Joey
08-31-2011, 02:21 AM
Probably mostly pFrench planes in that run...

But as I understand it, for the most part deep sea drilling has been pretty effective, safe and environmentally sound, both in the North Sea and the Gulf. Yes, there were a couple of incidents recently...oh wait, whose wells were those? Weren't those BP wells and rigs?

What's this? Brit incompetence at the fore?
Sure, deep sea drilling is effective. But compared to sinking a well in a desert, and pumping out the light sweet crude, sea drilling is mind-bogglingly expensive. That's the attraction of Libya, Algeria & Iraq - cheap extraction.

stinker
08-31-2011, 06:02 AM

Sure, deep sea drilling is effective. But compared to sinking a well in a desert, and pumping out the light sweet crude, sea drilling is mind-bogglingly expensive. That's the attraction of Libya, Algeria & Iraq - cheap extraction.

Only reason we have to go deep sea is because a bunch of leftist enviroweiner wackos insisted we do so and sue to make sure it happens. We have more oil locked up in the ground than the entire middle east but a bunch of tree hugging frog licking kooks and their communist allies won't let us get to it.