PDA

View Full Version : Mount for AR-15

gundogblue
09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum, although I've been on the AK forum , there's some good guys on that forum too. I have a Bushmaster XM15 E2s (removable carry handle) and I have decided to mount a scope on the weapon just to see what kind of acurecy it's capable of. My question is along with the scope, I ordered a Burris P.E.P.R mount, will that mount be high enough to get the scope crosshairs above the front sight with the carry handle removed? Also I know there's a million variables that can be added to my next question but if the load is worked up properly, and I do my job, what kind of acurecy can I expect from my Bushmaster 16 inch carbine? I have a pair of Savage bolt rifles, a model 12 in 22-250, and a 10 FP in .308, and I can group well under a half in @100yrds with those guns, and I don't expect that kind of acurecy with my Bushmaster, but if I can get that gun to group around an inch@100yrds, I will be very impressed indeed. Any info or advice will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul :killemall:

ltorlo64
09-01-2011, 06:10 PM
No idea, but welcome to the board! I think about mounting a scope on my AR, but I have never used a scope and I do pretty good with the open sights, so I will probably not do it.

Viking350
09-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum, although I've been on the AK forum , there's some good guys on that forum too. I have a Bushmaster XM15 E2s (removable carry handle) and I have decided to mount a scope on the weapon just to see what kind of acurecy it's capable of. My question is along with the scope, I ordered a Burris P.E.P.R mount, will that mount be high enough to get the scope crosshairs above the front sight with the carry handle removed? Also I know there's a million variables that can be added to my next question but if the load is worked up properly, and I do my job, what kind of acurecy can I expect from my Bushmaster 16 inch carbine? I have a pair of Savage bolt rifles, a model 12 in 22-250, and a 10 FP in .308, and I can group well under a half in @100yrds with those guns, and I don't expect that kind of acurecy with my Bushmaster, but if I can get that gun to group around an inch@100yrds, I will be very impressed indeed. Any info or advice will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul :killemall:

My son and I recently built two AR's with 16" lightweight uppers. He put this scope and mount on his. http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Burris-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx We shot it at 50 yrds with Wolf ammo and he kept his group at under an inch. We have no interference with the front sight with this set up.

Schuetzenman
09-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Focal length of the scope will make the front sight disappear. I'd say you might be able to get close to 1" grouping at 100 yards with handloads using Sierra Match King or Hornaday Match bullets, the 69 and 68 gr. models. If you have a faster twist than 1 in 9 you should be able to use the 77 gr. SMK or 75 gr. Hornaday bullets.

Oh, this does assume the upper to lower fit is rock solid. If the upper is shaking around on the lower you won't do much better than 2.5 MOA probably.