PDA

View Full Version : Unknown manufacturer marking on SAR-1.

Austin83
09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I just purchased a SAR-1 and It doesn't have the typical triangle marking, but it's got this odd looking engraved symbol/line . All of the numbers match on this rifle, and I was just trying to find out more about it. Below is a photo of the odd marking. Below the serial number and between the two pins is a faint stamped, crooked half of a triangle with what appears to be the number 35 sideways in the triangle. The opposite side of the rifle says the typical "Made by s.n. romarm s.a./cugir in Romania, Imported C.A.I st. Alb VT. Can anyone shed some light on these markings? Thanks in advance.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y338/awhendricks/ak.jpg

imanaknut
09-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the world of the SAR!!!

The normal trunion markings are S1-XXXXX-20XX where the S1 indicates the SAR-1, the next number is the serial number, with the last 4 being the date unless it is a "99" then there are only those two numbers.

On the receiver itself is kind of an anything goes, with faint symbols of either arsenal marks or proof marks. The one of mine I am looking at has a faint circle with an indistinguishable mark inside.

Since the SAR-1 was a true military issue rifle, they weren't too particular when it came to making them look pretty for those in the US who like to see crisp arsenal, proof, and inspection marks. You might find some, you might find none.

Sounds like yours is a normal rifle

imanaknut
09-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh, to add a picture you need to upload it to an internet photo host, then copy the URL and use the button above the edit window that shows "insert image". Paste the URL there and the photo will show.

Austin83
09-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks, it would help if I could remember to add a photo!

Full Otto
09-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Any chance it could be graffiti?
Not sure, could of lifted the idea from the Serb's, some of those guys got creative, would be kind of cool if it was.

O.S.O.K.
09-02-2011, 02:04 PM
:welcome: to the board! Nice Rommy.

Austin83
09-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I know Century etched the year 99 next to the serial number, but these receivers are actually older than that right? Typically how old are these things?

imanaknut
09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Actually the date on the rifle is the production date from the way I understand it. The SAR-1 has been around for a while, and it would not surprise me to find them still in production. Just that we don't have rights when it comes to imported firearms.

That triangle does look like the Romanian Cugir arsenal mark. That mark in front of the "S1" is interesting, looking like someone got careless with their etching pen.

raxar
09-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I know Century etched the year 99 next to the serial number, but these receivers are actually older than that right? Typically how old are these things?

They didn't start using left over parts until 2004 with the wasr's