PDA

View Full Version : first time buyer

sklesel
09-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Sorry if this kind of post annoys you feel free not to answer...
I've decided to get a gun I can customize since I have alot of free time so I went to the gun show to buy an ak and I have no idea how to tell the model of the gun I just see romania stamped on the side.. also wondering how to tell who makes it I don't want to over pay on an ak but I don't mind spending money on it later to make it decked out.. I saw different varietys and have no idea what to look for in one.. any advice would be appreciated also wondering if the wood ones are customizeable as far as changing the wood part and making it have rails etc
Once again sorry for the stupid questions but im new to this and would like to make a hobby out of it thanks

6gunsal
09-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Are you sure you're not looking for an AR15? Just kidding :D

The Romanian AKs you are seeing at the gunshows are most likely WASRs. If you are looking at customizing it, these would be a good choice since they seem to offer the most value as far as cost vs functionality is concerned. They aren't the prettiest AK variant, but if you can hold one in your hands and make sure the sites are straight and everything is smooth then it should treat you right.

If you want to learn more about the different variants I would check out all the AK sub forums and read the threads, look at pictures, and ask more questions. No-one around here minds helping out a newb :)

Schuetzenman
09-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Hello and welcome to Gunsnet. It's like this, the only Romanian made AK weapons are WASR 10 variants. They are imported by Century Arms International from Vermont. They come in as single stack AK rifles that take 10 round mags. Century's gun monkies (what we call their version of gunsmiths) mill open the magazine well so they take double stack normal AK type magazines.

Now there are AK weapons built off of demilled AKM rifles out there but they are built in the US, using US made sheet metal receivers. Red Jacket Firearms that has the TV show on Discovery Channel is a maker. There are others that also make a quality AK. Search for Atlantic Firearms, they carry many makers AK weapons.

On customizing an AK, to each his own the farmer said as he kissed the cow. Meaning, ok if you want to go for it but I don't see the need. The AKM is nearly perfect as issued with original equipment In My Opinion. If the weapon has a side rail you can mount a host of sighting devices from red dots to scopes. Most will be off set from centerline. If you can find one that centers it over the bore that is more desireable IMO.

Taking off the wood is easy enough, especially the front forearm. The rail systems are designed to go in and replace them with no alterations to the weapon. They do cost money as do all the do-dads that one hangs on the rails.

sklesel
09-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I want to eventually give the ak the tactical look of an ar

imanaknut
09-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

To find the model, Romanian AK variants of current production are marked on the left side of the receiver just behind the lower hand guard. Some of the earlier ones had their model designation on the rear sight block.

Fun to play with, and just as much fun to personalize.

O.S.O.K.
09-03-2011, 08:27 PM
:welcome: to the board.

Keep asking questions. We don't mind.

deth502
09-03-2011, 09:05 PM
:welcome:

stinker
09-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I want to eventually give the ak the tactical look of an ar

Buy it, stroke it, love it, take it out and shoot it, avoid humping it while it's loaded and decide if you actually like it first. :lool:

I'm sure you will but appreciate it for what it is as is too first IMO.
Don't be in a rush since you're new to AK's.
Take time to learn what it is you have before you change it so you know what you actually want to change.
Nothing wrong with a stock AK. I say that as a tac it out junky too btw. :)

sklesel
09-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Well I didn't get a chance to go to the gun show and where I live there's no decent gun selections so my next question is where's a good site / brand I can order an ak from I know atlantic arms but I dunno which aks are good and not.. so what im looking for is a good base gun I can customize one I could order as well

I also read good things about the interarms ak but I notice it doesn't have a side rail is it possible to get one with a side rail or have one installed?

stinker
09-05-2011, 02:09 AM
have one installed?

Installing an aftermarket side rail can be tricky.
If you have it done it needs to be done by someone that knows exactly what they're doing.
It's easy to mess it up and get it crooked.

Better option if you get a rifle it will work on that has no side rail allready installed since you're planning on tacing it out anyways.
Krebs Custom Kalashnikov Rear Sight Rail (http://www.krebscustom.com/ProductLine/Rail_System-AssembledLocked.shtml)

sklesel
09-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Installing an aftermarket side rail can be tricky.
If you have it done it needs to be done by someone that knows exactly what they're doing.
It's easy to mess it up and get it crooked.

Better option if you get a rifle it will work on that has no side rail allready installed since you're planning on tacing it out anyways.
Krebs Custom Kalashnikov Rear Sight Rail (http://www.krebscustom.com/ProductLine/Rail_System-AssembledLocked.shtml)
How can I tell if this rifle is romanian bulg etc..
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx
Also how would I know if that rail would work on it?

jlruiz2k
09-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I have purchased two AK's from http://www.jgsales.com/
I live in Arizona and they are 1.5 hrs from me :) and their prices are great.

sklesel
09-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I have purchased two AK's from http://www.jgsales.com/
I live in Arizona and they are 1.5 hrs from me :) and their prices are great.

Their prices are really cheap did u get both rifles with no problems on them? Cant sights etc..
I don't mind paying a little extra for a decent ak
I've read good things about the interarms alot saying its a "middle of the road" gun.. although from what I've read it sounds like the gun has a bunch of random parts thrown together to make it whole..
I do believe wasr's are great guns but I also hear there are lots of problems and me being a been to this I don't really know what to look for.. so any advice would be good thanks..

And I also wanted to know what's better the ak74 or 47 overall any 2 cents would be aprreciated

imanaknut
09-05-2011, 10:25 PM
With Atlantic Firearms, the best thing to do is call and ask questions. The owner is a really nice guy, and I hate to admit it, but he and I had a chat one day that lasted longer than many of my daughter's calls to her boyfriend!

Great company to deal with.

As to AKM versus AK-74, you will be able to find more ammo for the 7.62x39 (AKM) than you will for the 5.45x39 (AK-74) but the -74 is a softer shooter and with the brake designed for the rifle, almost no recoil.

Honestly, if you can afford it, one of each! :thumbspbig:

jlruiz2k
09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Their prices are really cheap did u get both rifles with no problems on them? Cant sights etc..
I don't mind paying a little extra for a decent ak
I've read good things about the interarms alot saying its a "middle of the road" gun.. although from what I've read it sounds like the gun has a bunch of random parts thrown together to make it whole..
I do believe wasr's are great guns but I also hear there are lots of problems and me being a been to this I don't really know what to look for.. so any advice would be good thanks..

And I also wanted to know what's better the ak74 or 47 overall any 2 cents would be aprreciated

I have made two AK purchases at JG Sales and I haven’t taken the second one to the range yet, both are Romanian AK’s, they didn’t have any of the typical issues that I read on the forum but I’m only speaking of my experience. I purchased the first one at a gun show were they had a booth and the second from their store. They are knowledgeable and professional but I haven’t had any issues so I can’t speak for their customer service if something goes wrong and I’m close enough that I can visit them if I have a problem. Price is important to me and that is why I chose them, they have a big selection at the best price I have found. For ammo I go to sgammo.com

sklesel
09-07-2011, 12:29 AM
From what I see on sgammo it looks like they have plenty of 5.45 ammo.. Is there something wrong with those?

I'm considering buying from jgsales but Id really rather buy from a well known site although I can't find any fixed stock Romanian wasrs on their site

Also wonder if it's ok to shoot steel case ammo on ak.. Google sais yes but just wondering what y'all think

stinker
09-07-2011, 02:13 AM
How can I tell if this rifle is romanian bulg etc..
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx
Also how would I know if that rail would work on it?
That's a good question...anyone actually know what is the origin of that ak?

Looks like it could possibly be an egyptian surplus kit according to this old post on another site from someone we're all quite familiar with.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpost.php?p=690596&postcount=22
The krebs rail i'm thinking will work but don't hold me to it if it does'nt. I recommend calling before buying the rail to ask.
This is from the rails description.

Note: The KRSR does not support the following Kalashnikov variations: Yugoslavian rifles, Chinese rifles, machined receiver rifles, or any rifle with a folding stock or lacking a buttstock tang.

Also wonder if it's ok to shoot steel case ammo on ak..
AK's generally eat steel case for breakfast.

sklesel
09-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and order the ak from jgsales hopefully I get one in great condition they have the best price on an ak I can find thanks for the help...

Is it possible to get a grenade launcher attachment for an ak? I know I can't get grenades but they have like flares and stuff right? Where would I be able to order this stuff from?

NineFiveBravo
09-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I got a WASR10/63 from them last week. Showed up in great condition, wood was the best condition I have seen on any WASR I have owned (quite a few). They must be newer ones, as they have a receiver date of 1967 and the US markings are no longer done by some drunk with an electric pencil. They are stamped now, and look quite clean compared to rifles from CAI in the past. And J&G is good to go!

sklesel
09-09-2011, 03:20 PM
What's the differnce between the wasr 10 and the wasr 10/63 besides $10?

jlruiz2k
09-10-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and order the ak from jgsales hopefully I get one in great condition they have the best price on an ak I can find thanks for the help...

Is it possible to get a grenade launcher attachment for an ak? I know I can't get grenades but they have like flares and stuff right? Where would I be able to order this stuff from?

Good thing you ordered, I just noticed that the price went up. Enjoy :)

NineFiveBravo
09-10-2011, 07:15 AM
What's the differnce between the wasr 10 and the wasr 10/63 besides $10?

63 Variant is non-ban compliant. Just thought about it, mine is a regular 10 (ban compliant) but was in a box labeled 63... odd. Most places used to ship into the state with Police ID. Not the case anymore. NY sucks

strike that, I'm not even sure anymore. Every place I look has a different story ranging from ban compliancy to year of construction to upgraded features to magical beans in the cleaning kit. I give up

NineFiveBravo
09-10-2011, 07:17 AM
wow you are right, I got it about a week and a half ago for $389... now its $430

stinker
09-10-2011, 03:43 PM
wow you are right, I got it about a week and a half ago for $389... now its $430

Someone used an ak in Nevada in a decidedly unpleasant fashion. The price must be rasied at such times.

jlruiz2k
09-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Someone used an ak in Nevada in a decidedly unpleasant fashion. The price must be rasied at such times.

Actually it was the end of a sale, they sent me an email to announce the end of the sale.