PDA

View Full Version : Russian Tula

sisyphus
08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
There's a Russian 1953 Tula SKS in the local ads and he's asking 3 bills. The pik looks pretty good and it's matching and original config. How good a deal is that? Chikom and Yugo's are going for that much lately but they usually come with other goodies locally.

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-10-2010, 12:53 PM
There's a Russian 1953 Tula SKS in the local ads and he's asking 3 bills. The pik looks pretty good and it's matching and original config. How good a deal is that? Chikom and Yugo's are going for that much lately but they usually come with other goodies locally.
I don't know about the current value, but I've always been partial to the original Russian SKS.

I'd drop $300 for one if it was in good enough shape.

AKTexas
08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
The last Russian I saw was not a tula and it was not match.The asking price was 550.00,out of my price range but it sold the next week.

Broondog
08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
i'd buy it.

i bought a '53 Tula in great shape from Abpt1 two years ago for 3 bills. i still have it and am still happy with my purchase.

sisyphus
08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for that input guys. I'd thought it might be good.

Well, dammit.................I called him and will make the 50 mile drive to pick it up tonite.

It's a better investment than the stock market anyway, huh?

sisyphus
08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
OK.........I made the 90+ mile round trip and got it. It has the original sling and cleaning kit too. It's all-matching with that cheezy-looking varnish on the wood like you see on Mosins. The bolt carrier is finished black like the receiver and there's an import mark engraved on the left side of the receiver. The guy says his dad gave it to him when he was 16 and he never even fired it. It looks like it too. I was 3 YO when this thing was built!

Did the Russkomz finish the metal on their SKS's with some kind of paint? My Romy's have the same finish but the bolt carriers are shiny and bright.

I'm glad I made the trip. One of these days I'll get my tech-geek son to help me get to where I can post pics.

AKTexas
08-10-2010, 09:25 PM
OK.........I made the 90+ mile round trip and got it. It has the original sling and cleaning kit too. It's all-matching with that cheezy-looking varnish on the wood like you see on Mosins. The bolt carrier is finished black like the receiver and there's an import mark engraved on the left side of the receiver. The guy says his dad gave it to him when he was 16 and he never even fired it. It looks like it too. I was 3 YO when this things was built!

Did the Russkomz finish the metal on their SKS's with some kind of paint? My Romy's have the same finish but the bolt carriers are shiny and bright.

I'm glad I made the trip. One of these days I'll get my tech-geek son to help me get to where I can post pics.

We need pics now.

sisyphus
08-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I'll do them as soon as I can. All my kids moved out and the one who knows how to post them and has the gear lives in the next state.

The closest I ever got to comm tech other than a phone when I was young was in typing class.....1965. We didn't even have electrics then.

vit
08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Good deal. Painted bolt was one of the things done to some of them during refurb. Leave the paint as is, do not remove.

sisyphus
08-10-2010, 11:46 PM
You know, I was wondering if it might be a refurb. There are five X's across the left side of the buttstock that look like they cover the original serial# or something. It looks like the wood was thickly varnished (some of it got slathered over parts of the buttplate) and a new number series (matching all the metal parts) is stamped into the wood further back toward the butt. You can't make out any numbers under the X's because the finish is so thick it makes that area smoothe.

The black finish covers all the surfaces including the internal receiver parts and the bolt too. The bore seems more shiny than anything I've seen, but I could just have stars in my eyes.

The date stamped on top of the receiver cover has a cyrillic "G" (which looks like a small letter "r") after the 1953. The wood has a couple of spots where pieces have been grafted into the stock..........possible repairs during the refurb.

Don't worry, I won't be touching any of the finish. I think it looks pretty cool and unique like it is.

sisyphus
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
We need pics now.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/DSC00940.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/DSC00941.jpg

Top to bottom (first pic)

Yugo 59/66A - Teak stock
Yugo 59-66A - Birch Stock
Yugo 59 - Teak Stock
Romy - Original stock
Romy - Yugo stock (original was trash)
Russian Tula 1953

(Second pic)

Chikom - Stamped trigger guard, pinned barrel- w/ Painted Chikom Fiberglass Stock
Chikom - Milled - all original, threaded barrel
Chikom - Milled - original, threaded barrel but with TechSight and USGI sling
Chikom - Stamped Triggerguard and threaded barrel - replacement stock

abpt1
09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
:thumbsup: I wish I would have never sold mine lol ! I still have one from B-rad sob shoots like a AR !
OK.........I made the 90+ mile round trip and got it. It has the original sling and cleaning kit too. It's all-matching with that cheezy-looking varnish on the wood like you see on Mosins. The bolt carrier is finished black like the receiver and there's an import mark engraved on the left side of the receiver. The guy says his dad gave it to him when he was 16 and he never even fired it. It looks like it too. I was 3 YO when this thing was built!

slamfire51
09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Pics are here.

AKTexas
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/DSC00940.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/DSC00941.jpg

Top to bottom (first pic)

Yugo 59/66A - Teak stock
Yugo 59-66A - Birch Stock
Yugo 59 - Teak Stock
Romy - Original stock
Romy - Yugo stock (original was trash)
Russian Tula 1953

(Second pic)

Chikom - Stamped trigger guard, pinned barrel- w/ Painted Chikom Fiberglass Stock
Chikom - Milled - all original, threaded barrel
Chikom - Milled - original, threaded barrel but with TechSight and USGI sling
Chikom - Stamped Triggerguard and threaded barrel - replacement stock

I'm down to one SKS now.If I find a Tula I'll buy one but only on the cheap.