PDA

View Full Version : Mak 90 broken shells

jgerde1
09-09-2011, 10:02 AM
My mak 90 is having a problem of the cases being broken and having to use a shell extractor. What is causing this and how can I fix this?

Richard Simmons
09-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Welcome to Gunsnet.

What ammo are you using? Sounds like it might be a dirty chamber and the case is sticking. When it tries to extract the spent case it's tearing the case head off.

NineFiveBravo
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
with a 1941 M1 garand I had, annealed military 30-06 cases were having the rims ripped off... changed the extractor, everything... ended up being the chamber was blown out after 60+ years of shooting. The cases would have the slightest room to balloon, and that was that. On a new rifle, especially a chinese one, I would doubt that severely. Keep it in mind, though

El Laton Caliente
09-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Welcome to the board!

1. Bad brass. I had a bad batch of Korean .223 one time that split or broke the neck off every third or forth round.

2. Dirt/fouled chamber.

3. Burr/poorly reemed/tight chamber.

I would do a really good cleaning using a chamber brush or shotgun brush on the chamber and switch to a different ammo. If that works try the suspect ammo again and if the problem persists you know it is the batch of ammo. That could be a combination of a tight chamber and slightly over size brass.

Edit: also inspect the chamber after cleaning with a bore light.

If after the cleaning and ammo change it still has problems get back to us.

O.S.O.K.
09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
I would inspect that chamber very closely - that's almost always the reason for this happening.

Richard Simmons
09-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Doesn't the MAK-90 and for that matter, most Chinese AK and SKS rifles have chromed bores and chambers? My first thought was a pitted chamber but if they are chrome lined is that a common occurence or even a likelyhood?

Schuetzenman
09-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Excessive headspace is what I would think more likely the cause. Never seen a Chicom gun with a bad chamber, though I guess there could be a first time.