PDA

View Full Version : Where were you on September 11th 2001.

btcave
09-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Hohenfels, Germany in a training exercise. That day changed my life as well as the life of my family forever. Two tours in the middle east, the loss of soldiers and missing most of my kids teenage years. When the First Sergeant walked into the bay to tell us that the towers were hit and destroyed, it was very quiet and we asked him if he was joking. Not a sound in the mess hall that night. When I think of the last 10 years and all that my family and my soldiers went through I get choked up. I HATE THOSE BASTARDS WHO DID THIS. Fucking HATE!

ltorlo64
09-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I was on an aircraft carrier going through a 6 month maintenance period at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. I get to work about an hour to an hour and a half early. That morning I was on my way in listening to the news and they were just reporting on the first plane. I forgot my security badge and had to go back home. On my way back they were starting to report on the second plane. That is when I knew it was not a mistake. I was one of the last people to drive in to Bremerton Naval Station before it got locked down. When I got to my ship we didn't say much. At one of our status meetings I was watching the news reports when the first tower fell. My department head was talking and I interupted him and said that one of the towers fell. That is what I remember about that day. The next day I didn't even try to drive onto the base and it still took me almost 2 hours to get inside the gate. Every person was searched before we were let in. We also spead up the completion of our availability so we could help defend both the country and ourselves from another attack. A stationery carrier is a big target.

blacksheep
09-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I was on my way back from Hillsdale, MI. ( driving ) when I heard on the radio that a plane hit the trade center.

I was thinking a cesna, and was shocked when they said a commercial airliner.:wow::prayer:

1 Patriot-of-many
09-10-2011, 11:39 PM
I was pulling doubles into Shitcago, heard the first report, sounded like some kind of bad joke, first it was a light plane report into the tower then the real report, by the time I pulled into the Terminal, got a van and got to the motel we were watching both on TV.
Needless to say I didn't get much sleep before heading back to MN.

I don't care what you apologists and wacky libs and "moderates" say, Islam either needs to be stamped out, Isolated OUT OF HERE, or you are going to live in a perpetual state of war IN YOUR HOMELAND.

gun papa
09-11-2011, 01:25 AM
I was sleeping on the West coast and the radio was on. I remember hearing the first plane hitting the tower. I pictured a Sesna as I slept. When they radio broadcast the second plane, I thought the news had mistakenly played over again.

Prometheus168
09-11-2011, 04:12 AM
I was working as a Full-Time Firefighter for the Marlin, Texas Fire Department. The night before I remember my shift and I had a good BBQ, Pork Chops! We talked about Firefighting and what it takes deep down to go into a burning building when everyone else is going out, I still remember the conversation. The morning of 9/11 I was on my way home... listening to WACO100 on the radio.. the Zach and Jim show.... They broke in and said that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I remember thinking that someone wanted to commit suicide and went out "in style" by slamming a cessna into one of the towers. Then I thought of the Bomber that hit the Empire State Building. I was still living with my parents at the time (I was 22 and engaged to my first wife). When I got home I remember speaking to my Mom, and saying that I heard on the radio that a plane had hit the towers in NY. She told me that another plane had just hit the other tower and I said to her "We are under attack" I will never forget saying that and the chill I felt. I turned on CNN and saw the towers burning and the replays of the 2nd hit... I picked up the phone and called my then fiancee Asked if she knew what was going on and we chatted a bit... then I called a few of my local friends and relatives to make sure that they were aware of what was going on... Then I watched, I remember being in the living room with my Mother as the 1st tower fell... I did not want to believe that it had fallen.. then when the second tower fell I looked at my mother and told her "Alot of my brother Firefighters just died" at that time I guess that was all that I was thinking about.. was the brothers that were there attacking the fire.... Then some one on TV said that a bomb exploded at the State Dept and that the Pentagon was on fire and I remember saying again to Mom "We are at War". I called into my Fire Dept and told them that I was aware of what was going on (I'm not sure why). Then I just sat... I watched... I remembered the shrill sound of the PASS devices on the FDNY Firefighters airpacks and thinking that someone needed to help. I remember being mad... I wanted to hurt someone... and then I cried........

Thats what I remember of 9/11,

Rusty

mriddick
09-11-2011, 04:38 AM
I was flying, setting in a 737 at Memphis when the pilot came on the intercom and told us.

Altarboy
09-11-2011, 07:45 AM
I was listening to the Rick And Bubba Show and a guy said hey one of the World Trade Towers is on fire. They brought a tv into their studio and old guy Mickey Dean said thats too big a hole for a small plane as had been reported at first. I was driving a rig and then all the guys screamed "hey another plane hit, we are under attack" and then that terrible day unfolded. I felt so petty as I had been stewing over something silly before it all happened-I had received my Carcano and it didn't have the cleaning rod and that was a big problem to me. Also, I remember it was a beautiful day, which made everything more surreal. I still don't buy the peaceful tolerant islam bs.

Richard Simmons
09-11-2011, 08:01 AM
At work in Salem, VA. One of my coworkers had her radio on and we heard the first report. A little while later someone brought out a small TV and we started watching as the second plane hit. Hard to believe it's been ten years.

Dan Morris
09-11-2011, 08:08 AM
At the office, kicked puter over to news, saw second one hit. In my own mind, I knew what was going on. I work in a Jewish firm and did heavy business with middle east firms.Went into vault and loaded a .40 which I put under my shirt......wasn't sure what I was protecting but I was not going quietly!Just wasn't sure how far this was gonna go.
Went out into compound and said a silent prayer and tried to act simi normal.Mid morning, you could see fully cocked F16's over Denver.
Dan

coppertales
09-11-2011, 08:20 AM
and turned on the TV and wondered what movie was on before I realized it was a live telecast............I watched the second plane hit.....chris3

slamfire51
09-11-2011, 08:56 AM
I just finished up building my house and was cutting the grass when my GF and a friend drove 17 miles (no cell phone service in the boonies) to tell me we were under attack.

I remember saying, "Yeah, Right". Then I could tell by their expressions of fear and their voices that they weren't kidding. I hopped in the truck and drove home and watched the news reports the rest of the day and all that night, and recording all.

A day that changed everyone's life.

NineFiveBravo
09-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I was laying in bed, when I heard my grandparents yelling in the next room. I got the gist of what they were yelling about, and put on the TV. My girlfriend at the time was calling me, her mother was on a flight that ended up taking off and clearing NY airspace as the 1st plane hit the WTC (that info wasn't found out for hours) and was freaking out. I went downstairs to talk to my father, but he had already gone. He went to the basement, grabbed his old FDNY bunker gear, got in his car, and headed forthwith to downtown Manhattan (a 20 minute drive for us). He lost over 50 people that day. People he worked with in the FDNY, guys he golfed with, and family members. I never saw him so much as shake, he is the hardest man I know. He dislocated the thumb on his right hand during the recovery, and inhaled god knows what. I just thank god that he was retired from the FDNY at that point, because I know for a fact he would be at the bottom of that pile. I have a photo that was taken of the recovery on 9/13, and he is in the photo with then Special Operations Chief Donald Hayde, FDNY. I will try to scan it at some point, and post it if anyone is interested. I had always wanted to be in the military, but at that point, on that day, 2 weeks before my 19th birthday, it was solidified. I was already a volunteer in my local Fire Department, about to take my EMT qual. It pushed me further... Semper Fidelis

Father is on the far left, in the sweatshirt

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/JsemCesku/11september2001/img002.jpg

Always,
Adam G.

AMERICAN
Police Officer
Fire Fighter II
EMT-B
Soldier

Zoff12
09-11-2011, 09:20 AM
I had just got home from working night shift for my PD. I was sitting watching TV when they cut in and showed the footage of the first plane when the second, on live TV, came in and hit. Before the second impact, I was thinking it was a horrible accident. I was sitting in disbelief. I yelled for my Wife to come see. We both, I will admit, cried for the victims and families. Then the news of the Pentagon came through and it hit even closer to the heart. My Aunt and Uncle are both employees of the Pentagon and her office was right where the plane hit. Fortunately, we found out days later as we could not get ANY phone calls through, neither she nor my Uncle were on that side of the Pentagon when it happened.

Funny how so many have forgotten what happens on that day just 10 years ago. Right now, it is just 10:15am here and I have already run into several people who say, "What? Wow! It IS the 11th. I completely forgot!" I feel the American people will forget this day even faster that they did the actual 9/11. Say... about a week and we will be back to our own self absorbed lives.

I am not speaking about us here at TGN. I don't think any of us will ever forget. I speak of the American people in general.

In solemn memory of the 2,977 victims, all Service Men & Women who have given their lives in this crusade, and all those still in the fight...

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/9_11.jpg

slamfire51
09-11-2011, 09:27 AM
I was laying in bed, when I heard my grandparents yelling in the next room. I got the gist of what they were yelling about, and put on the TV. My girlfriend at the time was calling me, her mother was on a flight that ended up taking off and clearing NY airspace as the 1st plane hit the WTC (that info wasn't found out for hours) and was freaking out. I went downstairs to talk to my father, but he had already gone. He went to the basement, grabbed his old FDNY bunker gear, got in his car, and headed forthwith to downtown Manhattan (a 20 minute drive for us). He lost over 50 people that day. People he worked with in the FDNY, guys he golfed with, and family members. I never saw him so much as shake, he is the hardest man I know. He dislocated the thumb on his right hand during the recovery, and inhaled god knows what. I just thank god that he was retired from the FDNY at that point, because I know for a fact he would be at the bottom of that pile. I have a photo that was taken of the recovery on 9/13, and he is in the photo with then Special Operations Chief Donald Hayde, FDNY. I will try to scan it at some point, and post it if anyone is interested. I had always wanted to be in the military, but at that point, on that day, 2 weeks before my 19th birthday, it was solidified. I was already a volunteer in my local Fire Department, about to take my EMT qual. It pushed me further... Semper Fidelis

Always,
Adam G.

AMERICAN
Police Officer
Fire Fighter II
EMT-B
Soldier

Please do post the pic.

Zoff12
09-11-2011, 09:34 AM
I know we have all seen this. I have a copy of it in my home office that was presented to my by the owner of a local paper and the photographer in appreciation for what all Military, Law Enforcement, Fire, Rescue, etc. have done for this country since 9/11. I hang it proudly for I believe it says it all...
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/image-911cross.jpg

Helen Keller
09-11-2011, 10:15 AM
close enough to hit GW with a rock.

Integratedj
09-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I was driving on my way to a job and was right next to phx airport stuck in traffic watching the planes fly in when the first tower was hit. At that point it was just confusion from the media. When the 2nd plane hit the other tower I was standing in my customers living room watching her and her two daughters cry their eyes out. Watching people leap from those buildings i knew our lives were forvever changed. The feeling I had then has never gone away. I want eternal suffering for those responsible, and for all of those goat raping rat pieces of pig shit that we saw cheering across the Arab world. Fuck allah. I shit on allah. His shit spawn deserve napalm and nothing else. Same goes for anyone who sympathizes with them.
It just sucks that because of what happened and the way our govt reacted to it since then means we've lost that war. We live with constant intrusion into our lives for the sake of safety. We live with constant terror threats and warnings at the whim of a power tripping bull dyke who couldn't fist her way out of a tranny's ass. Our freedom and the American way of life has been neutered almost beyond recognition. Hell, now our children can't even board a plane without some perverted piece of shit trying to feel them up all in the name of safety. we should have just burned to the ground any nation that was in the streets celebrating and praising allah in the hours afterwards. Not embarked on an endless slaughter that daily loses its purpose because we have to follow rules the other side does not. :banned-mad:

awp101
09-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Sitting at home unpacking household goods since my terminal leave started 05SEP01. I had taken The Boy to school and flipped on the news out of habit as I was unpacking.

Saw the smoke from the first and when I heard a plane had hit I wondered what nimrod lost control of his Cessna. Saw the second one hit and knew it wasn't a nimrod in a Cessna...

Got a call from the orderly room that evening confirming my number was a good contact number. I told them that if they called me back, I was bringing my own toys.

My Mom, wife and Grandmother all said "You're getting out! They can't call you back!" My Dad, Grandfather and I all said "I'm theirs for another 50 days, they damn sure can!"

bovver
09-11-2011, 11:15 AM
walked onto a job and one of the other guys said a missle hit the wtc that was the first report on the radio.

Warthogg
09-11-2011, 12:03 PM
......when I heard a plane had hit I wondered what nimrod lost control of his Cessna. Saw the second one hit and knew it wasn't a nimrod in a Cessna...

Yup.

Was on the phone talking with a friend about buying a gun. He told me to turn on the TV as a plane had hit one of the towers. We both thought a Cessna type aircraft. Then as we watched, the second plane came in and we knew what was happening.

My first thought was this will be tracked back to the Saudis. I really thought the Arabians would have funded the op....which they did.....but had no idea almost all of the doers would turn out to be Saudi.

Wart

f.b.l.p
09-11-2011, 12:22 PM
just got home from a midnigt shift.Shower,Breakfast,and a little news before beddy-by.Saw the whole filthy thing live.No sleep,and hav'nt wepted like that since I was little.

docjonsn
09-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I was getting ready for work, still drinking my first cup of coffee.
when my wife called me into the living room and and saw the news.
I went kinda nuts because I could not get through to my family.
(born and raised new yorker) I lost a cousin and 4 friends that day.

I went back last year to see family, I went to ground zero with my wife(her first time to new york) we both cried our eyes out and had to leave.
left town the next morning.

Pete

NYC EMS 78-81

I am still on the edge of tears now just thinking about it.

hogmister
09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
i was on a school bus on my way to camp in south carolina for our 10th grade class trip. we left pa at 4a on the 11th. we stopped for fuel 4 hours in (8a) and hit the road again. most of us were sleeping, but a few were up chatting in the back of the bus. no radios or cell phones were allowed on the trip, and the bus only had a cb that wasn't ever on. we stopped again for fuel and a piss break about 11:30a. none of us had a clue up to this point. most hit the restrooms and a coulpe of us walked into the tiny gas station. grabbed some soda and chips for the ride, and walked to the counter where the clerk's back was to us. his eyes were glued to the tv in the corner. the news was replaying the second plane hitting the tower. WTF!? the clerk gave us a quick version of the morning's events. we got back on the bus and told our sponsors what had happened. we all demanded to turn around and head home, but they insisted we continue to our destinaton. they told us we would be much safer in the woods of s carolina than back in pittsburgh. no one made a peep the rest of the way, and no one slept. we arrived at the camp around 5:30p and headed to the meeting hall where a tv was set up with fox news on. our whole class (13 kids. small school!) watched the broadcast for 2 hours, taking turns calling home on the main office phone. i personally was extremely pissed that we had to continue our trip. now we were at the camp and had a week ahead of us. i couldn't sleep at all, and most of us didn't that first night. i had a pain and anger deep inside that i never felt before. i felt that someone had to pay, and there was nothing i could do about it. i wanted to pack up and head to the sandbox, and kill every one of those bastards i could find. (pretty high hopes for a 16 year old with no money and a borrowed 12 ga.) my anger was very apparent to everyone that week, but knowing that being pissed wouldn't help i calmed down. i had to remember that i was not the only one effected by this tragic day. others were hurt much more than i was. i felt for those who lost loved ones, and the courage of those who gave their lives to help others in a time of great need.
i remember hearing President Bush say "We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbour them." (Pres. G. W. Bush - 9/11 address)
when our boys got bin laden, we cut off the head of the snake, but if our efforts do not continue it will surely grow back.

the rage and pain has been in the back of my mind ever since.

now even ten years later i feel that anger still boiling inside on this day.

I wish there was an opportunity for me to be more directly involved over the years. the armed forces was not an option for me. it pains me to hear about our brave men and women making the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedom.

i keep them in my heart and in my prayers.

THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart to those who fought and still fight to protect us all from the evil in this world.

Shoot straight, stay low, and may God keep you all safe and speed you home!

thank you.

davepool
09-11-2011, 01:30 PM
I was sitting in the parking lot of a safeway around 5:15am waiting for the sun to come up so we could get to work on the roof.

The boss drove up and said turn on the radio and like most folks at first i thought it was a small airplane. It took awhile for it all to soak in and realize how serious it was.

We were working about 5 miles from Luke airforce base, the F-15s were flying circles around the valley all day, when they flew over us they were so low you could have seen the pilots face if they hadn't been going so fast.

O.S.O.K.
09-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I was between business trips - at home in my upstairs office - my wife was downstairs (she was a stay at home mom at the time) and had Fox News on. She comes to the stairs and yell's up "hey come down here! You have to see this... a plane hit the world trade center"

And so we watched the whole thing unfold on Fox News. It was eery - I thought I was watching the beginning attacks in a war - and as it turned out, I was watching the continuing attacks in an ongoing war...

At first though, we were discussing it and wondering if it was a terrorist attack or an accident - and we both thought "terrorist attack" and then the second plane comes in.... and it was no longer a question.

Krupski
09-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Where were you on September 11th 2001.

I had a doctor appointment that Tuesday, so I stayed home from the office. When I got up, I took a shower and when I got out my wife said "come here look what happened!".

So I walk into the living-room and CNN was on. An airplane just hit a building. I said "Wow... you know that happened before - a B25 hit the Empire State building years ago".

I was standing there dripping wet watching the TV. The camera was zoomed into the spot where the airplane hit. Suddenly there was a big puff of smoke and I said "Oh boy something just blew... maybe a gas line... did you see that smoke blow outwards?"

Then the camera zoomed out and they replayed the cause of the "puff"... a second plane hit the other building.

I said "Holy shit! One is an accident, two is on purpose! It's some kind of an attack!".

I watched a little longer, then got dressed and went to the Dr. appointment.

On the way home I needed a few parts from Radio Shack. So I went in and of course all their TV's were set to the news. I saw both the buildings burning and then the first one collapsed. As I watched it I wondered why it collapsed at all, and why it fell down so perfectly straight. I said "Damn I hope the people got out of there before it came down" and then paid for my parts and went home.

At home I watched more of the news coverage and saw the second building come down. My first thought was "why did they fall at all?... the fire wasn't that bad"

Then I walked away from the TV and decided to come on here. I told my wife "I'm gonna check out Gunsnet News Network and see what they're saying about it" ('til this day I still call this here "Gunsnet News Network").

That's about all I remember other than later at night Pres. Bush was on TV talking about the attack... I watched that.

Next day I was surprised to see so many cars with American Flag stickers or actual Flags on their cars. My thought was "armchair patriots... where were your Flags BEFORE yesterday?"

As always in summer, the Flag was on my house... but after 9/11 almost everyone else put one up too. I thought "I wonder how long this Patriotic knee jerk reaction will last?"

It lasted about a month. The little car flags faded, got tattered and finally there were more on the road than on cars. Just as I expected.

So, there the snapshot of my life that month.....

Krupski
09-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't care what you apologists and wacky libs and "moderates" say, Islam either needs to be stamped out, Isolated OUT OF HERE, or you are going to live in a perpetual state of war IN YOUR HOMELAND.

You know... I really knew nothing about "Islam" until 9/11. Then after learning about the beheadings, the tortures, the "honor killings" of young girls, etc... I've come to absolutely HATE them and, sorry if I sound like Heinrich Himmler, but Islam is a disease, a bacillus.... an infection on our planet. It needs to be eradicated down to the last person. And I feel this way because of what they are, NOT because of their alleged involvement with the 9/11 attacks.

El Duce
09-11-2011, 03:31 PM
The day before my wife and I were on our last day of vacation at VA Beach.

The day of. We were a work, expecting a slow day. Someone came in and said something about a plane crash in New York, we went into the bar area, turned on the big tvs. Watched the second plane hit. I called my wife and told her to turn on the tube at home. She said that she couldn't because she was feeding/nursing our daughter. She was then pregnant with our son.

To this day I regret that I did not leave work and go home. Turns out at work, the bar filled up with about 250 people crying.

Next day I was driving into work. Security guy at front gate that I know stopped me and asked me if I had any guns in my truck. I replied, who wants to know? You or the hotel?

He just waved me in.

Sad today. I was the only one talking about the attack of ten years ago.

One thing that I will never forget. is the dumbass that I used to work with. He walked through the back door, and when he heard about the attack, yelled out. "They should never have killed Mcvey!" I just looked at him and said it is a terrorist attack you dummy.

Krupski
09-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I know we have all seen this. I have a copy of it in my home office that was presented to my by the owner of a local paper and the photographer in appreciation for what all Military, Law Enforcement, Fire, Rescue, etc. have done for this country since 9/11. I hang it proudly for I believe it says it all...

Remember this one?

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~krupski/images/pass_colors1.jpg

Zoff12
09-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Remember this one?

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~krupski/images/pass_colors1.jpg:thumbspbig:

O.S.O.K.
09-11-2011, 04:55 PM
That says it all right there. Yep. At least under Bush...

And I have to give obumer credit for following through (at least on what his part in it was) on getting OBL. But that's the only plus I'll give him.

Helen Keller
09-11-2011, 05:10 PM
that cartoon IMHO was the strongest one I remember.

"You had your turn , now it's our game motherfuckers"

American Rage
09-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I was secretly celebrating my 36th birthday while sitting in a classroom full of 8th graders. The VP came in and told me to turn on the TV that a plane had just hit the WTC. I asked if he was joking and he said, "no."

I turned on the TV and the kids were really interested, until the second plane hit. At that time the kids just kind of shut down and quit watching the TV. Of course, many of them had parents in the USAF or parents that worked at the local base. So they knew that it meant war.

Rage

kuntryboy
09-11-2011, 08:47 PM
i was trying to avoid my 50th birthday. my wife brought one of those over the hill cakes. she had to leave for her job so away she went. i went to invite the next department over for cake. a lady there told me a plane had hit one of the towers. like everyone has said, i thought a cessna. just then her daughter called about the second plane. i said we are being attacked. when the pentagon was attacked we went on lock down and only security personel remained.

abpt1
09-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I was sleeping and was woken up by my sister yelling turn on the TV ....I turned on the tv 20-30 sec before the second plane hit watched it live completely thought we were being invaded looking out the windows for parachutes.....I wanted to drive to NY so bad and help but I just got out of a cast on both my arm and leg from a motorcycle accident I could barely walk or hold a drink ..so......I prayed for them......