PDA

View Full Version : The "self sufficient" "independent" handloader... is it feasible?

O.S.O.K.
08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
With all the talk these days of doom and gloom, its no small wonder that we have people "prepping" to one degree or another for the very real possibility of "bad times", whatever your own personal definition of that is....

One part of being a prepper is to become as self-sufficient as you can - your own water source, food sources, energy, security, etc.

But what about handloading? You can make your own cast bullets (you can swage your own cup and core bullets), you can make your own gas checks for the cast bullets, you can make your own black powder and even primers if you're the daring type.

Brass cases will last indefinately with mild cast boolit loads - especially black powder loads.

But is this really feasible? I mean, you still have to have access to lead, sheet aluminum (you can use beverage cans) or similar for the gas checks, sulfer, potasium nitrate (or other nitrate) and charcoal for making the black powder.... and the primers require the ingredients for fulminate... and of course the dies and material to make the cups and anvils - or at least recondition used primers...

So is it a practical idea?

Or are we really just better off stocking up on components and ammo?

Perhaps get into making your own archery equipment :run-and-hide:

deth502
08-10-2010, 07:11 PM
1 word.

flint lock rifles.

wait, i think my math is off on that.................

imanaknut
08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Just a thought. If you really had to bug out, could you carry enough supplies to replenish the ammo you carry, or would it be better to just carry the ready to shoot ammo?

Honestly, carrying the material to make say 500 rounds versus just carrying the rounds already made?

Now in the event that the government bans ammo, but not the components, that is a different story.

Would this then be a good argument for hoarding ammo????

Just a thought.

O.S.O.K.
08-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Flint locks are a good one-shot backup plan...

And as to components vs loaded ammo, yes you can save some weight by packing the components and a Lee Loader... but you'd better be able to secure that spent brass - like using a revolver or a levergun that you can control the ejection of the brass with.

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-10-2010, 07:33 PM
If things got that tight, I'd be referring to the ol' "improvised munitions" field guide and focusing more on bowed weapons, zip guns, and homemade bombs.

Far less of a technology base involved, and far more options for material.

sisyphus
08-12-2010, 11:30 PM
.............or would it be better to just carry the ready to shoot ammo?

That would be my pick. The best way to store components for the long-term is in ammo.

Would this then be a good argument for hoarding ammo????

Yep, but the best argument for that is so you'll always have ammo.

GunBum
08-30-2010, 10:26 AM
The big problem in becoming self sufficient, IMHO, is the powder. Blackpowder is makeable (I made up that word), but consistency is not easy to achive. Gun cotton (nitrocellulose) is another alternative if you want smokeless, but how to do it consistently is the main problem.

Bullets and even primers are fairly easy to do at home.

AKTexas
08-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Learning how to reload,cast is a good start to being self reliant.I'm getting that berdan primer remover to salvage the brass I have that would not be reloadable normally.I have two cases of berdan primers on the way for just in case.