PDA

View Full Version : The Lee Classic Loader or "Lee Loader"

O.S.O.K.
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
My first exposure to handloading was as a kid - watching my Dad make up some 38 Special laods using this simple tool. Very meticulous, but it does work very well and costs around $25. Not a bad way to see if you like reloading. Here's a vid that I found on youtube showing how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFKV8S6cnQ

Now, repeat 50 times and you have a box of ammo! Bam Bam Bam! :coffee:

ETA - there is one really good use for this tool that even the most advanced reloader will find beneficial: they allow you to easily make up test loads at the range. You can have primed cases ready and just load the powder and seat the bullet with this tool - three or so at a time to test out. When you have the load you want, you are done - no extra rounds...

GunBum
08-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I always keep my eyes open for Lee Loaders at the gun shows and flea markets. Especially in odd calibers. They are a pain to use, but weigh a lot less than the full setup for loading on the road.

O.S.O.K.
08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Absolutely.

Interestingly a bit after I posted this, and after a trip to my company's HQ - and meeting once again with the two guys that report to me, I decided to gift them both with a Lee Loader. One got a 9mm and the other a 38 Special - for the pistols that they both have.

I also just sent off a couple hundered pieces of brass of each to them to get started with.

One is very excited about this and the other is mildly interested.

The Lee Loader was my first exposure to reloading and it lead me to becoming a handloading junky. :coffee:

DownRange1776
08-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I like to get into reloading not sure if its worth it right now. I cant find the stuff in local shops.

I have found some old timers in my area that have done reloading for 30+ years that said they would help me get started and I have the ABCs of Reloading book.

O.S.O.K.
08-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Well if you already know that you want to handload, then I would definately get with your buddies. Give us some idea of the money you are willing to spend and we can offer some suggestions on a starting set-up.

You have done the very best thing though so far - the ABC's of Reloading by Lee is excellent.

arcangel
04-12-2011, 03:24 PM
I considered several of these loading tools for the calibers I have to load. But decided on the breechlock hand press by Lee, and all the dies I need for 308, 556,45, and 9mm. But I hope to add 40 cal this year as well. The hand press seemed a bit more organized and straight forward for my taste. And lacks the need of a hammer.

Klawndyke
04-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Factory sales has a lee breechlock kit on sale for only 81 bucks.. it has everything you need to get started.. I bought one as a back up but most likly will go to a buddie so he can start reloading.. i think its the best starter kit out there for the money... I have one and will stand behind it all day long or should i say at the moment i have 2 :crazy:..

Heres a link to the kit
factorysales.com (https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/anivers.html)

btcave
04-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Factory sales has a lee breechlock kit on sale for only 81 bucks.. it has everything you need to get started.. I bought one as a back up but most likly will go to a buddie so he can start reloading.. i think its the best starter kit out there for the money... I have one and will stand behind it all day long or should i say at the moment i have 2 :crazy:..

Heres a link to the kit
factorysales.com (https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/anivers.html)

WOW!:thumbspbig:

If I didn't already have an RCBS setup, I'd jump on that!

O.S.O.K.
04-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Nice catch - that is a good deal.