PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Assembly Rails for ak 47?

waedoe
09-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Hey guys new poster here and new ak47 owner. I recently bought a polish akms sold by century arms. My question is are there any replacements for the front sight block that just have rails so you can attach different front sight assemblies. Ive illustrated a crude picture to better explain what i mean. Basically the purpose for this is i really want to try and get a setup using detachable low profile ar15 sights. I know might be blasphamous to the ak but i think it would be cool to have if its a feesable idea.

heres a rear sight i was looking at

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/873/873271.jpg

possible front sight

http://static.zoovy.com/img/discountgunmart/W135-H135-Bffffff/115/11553.jpg

also planning on getting this for my bolt cover
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/vandalpix/sale/IMG_7023.jpg

and here is the drawing i made to show what i mean:

http://i53.tinypic.com/ieo7zc.jpg

Edit*

almost forgot is there any galil type charging handles/ bolts for the ak47 platform. i know galils are based off the ak47 design but i like how the handle comes out and up.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDnZuGPuVh4yo4v3t03m9zeD2TreCjz r_DRz8g2JPPvntyO9nOK4EwSXMM

imanaknut
09-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I see no reason why someone couldn't make something like you describe to replace the front sight. The biggest issue would be getting it high enough so that it would align with a rear sight mounted on that rail/receiver cover assembly.

The other thing would be making sure the ID of the sight was the same as the standard AK front sight so that it could be installed on the barrel. The barrel diameter varied among several of the AK variants so you would have to measure your barrel to get the diameter needed.

waedoe
09-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I see no reason why someone couldn't make something like you describe to replace the front sight. The biggest issue would be getting it high enough so that it would align with a rear sight mounted on that rail/receiver cover assembly.

The other thing would be making sure the ID of the sight was the same as the standard AK front sight so that it could be installed on the barrel. The barrel diameter varied among several of the AK variants so you would have to measure your barrel to get the diameter needed.

hmm where would i go to have something like that made? and could i just take off my front sight base and cut the post off the block and weld rails on/ have some one weld rails on that way i know that the barrel diameter will match precisely?

also what do you mean by ID of the sight and what would be the best way of checking that?

sorry for noob questions im only really familiar with the ar15 setup spent some time in the marines but havent ever owned or modified my own weapons. thanks for the quick reply!

Schuetzenman
09-13-2011, 06:13 AM
First off, welcome to Gunsnet.net. As an answer to your original question, nobody makes what you want. To have something like it made up will cost almost as much as your rifle purchase price. Where to get it made, possibly a small machine shop would do it. In my opinion if you want rails and other do-dads to clutter up your weapn, make it more complex, introduce avenues of failure because something came loose, get an AR15.

The Polish AKMS you purchased is a classic example of the AK weapon system and except for a rail to mount an optic is perfect as is. That's my 2 cents on it.

stinker
09-13-2011, 06:21 AM
hmm where would i go to have something like that made?
Anyone with a cnc could make one but get ready to shell out some REALLY big bucks to have it done.
I wanted to have a detachable custom height flip sight made for that tws cover but most people did'nt even want to touch it and the ones that would consider it were estimating hundreds to a couple thousand dollars for one to be made. I gave up and ordered the stock peep sight.

also what do you mean by ID of the sight and what would be the best way of checking that?
ID = inner diameter.

sorry for noob questions im only really familiar with the ar15 setup spent some time in the marines but havent ever owned or modified my own weapons. thanks for the quick reply!
We don't mind noob questions.

binky59
09-13-2011, 08:01 AM
:welcome:

Take a look at Techsights, they might be a better option to be able to hold zero, and
moves the rear sight base as far to the rear of the gun as you can go. You can also get a target grade front sight post....all for around $100. If you dont want to go that way, get a Berl rear rail and a front quad rail and put any type of flip up sights that you want on it.
I like to keep my weapons as simple and efficient as possible with nothing being done that modifys the weapon permanently out of the original configuration

Palmetto.Vintovka
10-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi Waedoe. After reading up on the Tech-Sights mount and sight and owning a Texas Weapons System rail with rear sight aperture (the same one you have pictured), I think the Tech-Sights product may be your best option. Keep in mind that you are shooting a 7.62 x 39mm which won't be all too accurate anyway. If you want to put money into modernizing an AK, get a 5.45 x 39mm (AK-74 variant) or one in .223 caliber.

If you don't have an optics mount on the left side of your AK and want to use an optic mounted above the receiver cover, then you may prefer the TWS -- or -- have a side mount plate installed and go with the Tech-Sights product. The TWS required some filing down of the sides of the recoil guide rod for proper fitting. Also, the rear sight aperture has a very little bit of wiggle to it so your sight picture is unlikely to remain constant.