PDA

View Full Version : Need Price Help on Colt Ar-15 HBAR

sevlex
08-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I have an opportunity to buy the above mentioned rifle with 1000rnds of mixed Win & Wolf .223. A2 style with fixed stock and 16"bbl.

What's a fair offer on rifle & ammo?

edit: I was given bad info before. Turns out it a Colt HBAR Match w/20" bbl. Two 10rnd mags and 2k ammo.

American Rage
08-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Most think Wolf ammo sucks.

As for the HBAR, you have to give us more info.

Is it a Green/Blue/ or Tan label?

Green would be preban with an unblocked lower.

Blue would be banned with a blocked lower, no flash hider or bayonet lug.

Tan? I have no clue.

Colt's tend to command a premium. So, I'd guess $1500 for a Green Label. $950 for a Blue label, and $1100+ for the Tan Labeled model.

Seriously, go to gunbroker and run a search. But remember, everything is high on the internet.

Rage

Krupski
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I have an opportunity to buy the above mentioned rifle with 1000rnds of mixed Win & Wolf .223. A2 style with fixed stock and 16"bbl.

What's a fair offer on rifle & ammo?

edit: I was given bad info before. Turns out it a Colt HBAR Match w/20" bbl. Two 10rnd mags and 2k ammo.

If it's an early 1990's Colt (i.e. a pre-ban) and if it's a "Sporter", check the diameter of the FRONT takedown pin. Colt, in their attempt to keep M16 uppers from being used on AR-15's, did all kinds of weird shit like put blocks in the lower receiver to prevent installing an auto sear (the block ALSO makes it impossible to install third party "match" or "two stage" triggers). They also used a larger diameter, non standard front pin so that M16 uppers couldn't be installed.

BOTH takedown pins should be 1/4 inch diameter. If the front one is larger, you will need to use a bushing to reduce it to 1/4 (if you ever want to use any standard parts with it).

As far as Wolf ammo is concerned, some people will call bullshit, but the truth is that the steel casing wears out the extractor lip and after several thousand rounds of Wolf, you will begin to get extraction problems.

This can be solved by either:

(1) Not using Wolf ammo -or-
(2) Replace the stock extractor with a chrome plated one.

Wolf ammo is also very dirty and sooty. A rifle that shits where it eats cannot afford to use dirty ammo... and Wolf is quite sooty.

Value wise, if the rifle is NIB or almost like new and it's a GREEN label (unblocked receiver, bayonet lug, 1/4 inch pins) it's probably worth about $1200 to $1500.

A blue label (blocked, may not have a bayo lug and possibly has a large front pin) is worth about $1000.

Speaking of pins... the TRIGGER and HAMMER pins on those Colts have a diameter of 0.170 inches (rather than the standard 0.154 inches). This will also limit what kind of aftermarket triggers you can buy and use, since not all of them are available in the oddball 0.170 size.

Ammo? The ammo is worth what a case of ammo is worth.......

sevlex
08-12-2010, 01:59 PM
So here is the scoop. It's a pre-ban ( orig purch'd new 4/94 for $1400), 20" 1:7 twist barrel is in excellent shape. Gun w/case and 2 10 rd mags with additional 1k rds each of Wolf sp plus Win fmj for total of 900.00.

American Rage
08-12-2010, 02:45 PM
So here is the scoop. It's a pre-ban ( orig purch'd new 4/94 for $1400), 20" 1:7 twist barrel is in excellent shape. Gun w/case and 2 10 rd mags with additional 1k rds each of Wolf sp plus Win fmj for total of 900.00.

If it has a flash hider on the barrel, I'd call that a good deal. Most Colts today run $1K regardless of model.

Rage

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-12-2010, 03:04 PM

I'd buy that.

sevlex
08-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I'd buy that.

Picking it up tomorrow.

Funny thing is I was never in the market for an EBR. This just popped up via my father inlaw. His best friend died and left the gun to his dad in Calgary. Since he couldn't take the gun across the border he told FIL to unload it.

There is also a TR-6 but his dad is going to take that north.

Schuetzenman
08-13-2010, 06:19 PM

Sounds like a deal for that price, jump on it! You can always upgrade it with a match barrel and there are match triggers that fit them. I have a Jewell 2 stage in my (Purchased nib in July 1994) HBAR. I found it to not be all that accurate as it came to me but I eventually tuned it to sub 1 MOA performance.

sevlex
08-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I picked it up today. I guess you can call it a FrankenBan configuration. It has a blocked lower and no bayonet lug. But it also has a flash-hider and 1/4" front pin.

The first thing I did was order 10 of those Widener's sale mags. Black w/orange followers because I like the Halloween theme. :crazy:

Schuetzenman
08-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Your HBAR sounds exactly like the one I picked up NIB in July 1994. Block in the lower, 1/4" pin size, flash hider, no bayonet lug. 1 in 7 twist barrel.