PDA

View Full Version : Helo From US Warship Stops Pirate Attack

old Grump
08-10-2010, 10:57 PM
August 09, 2010
Associated Press

NAIROBI, Kenya -- NATO says a helicopter from a U.S. warship has interrupted a pirate attack off the coast of Somalia.
NATO says the merchant ship Ice Explorer was moving through the Gulf of Aden early Monday when it called in a pirate attack.

A helicopter from the USS Kauffman flew to the scene and saw pirates dumping weapons and other objects into the water. A boarding team confiscated some pirate paraphernalia.

U.S. Navy Cmdr. Douglas Edson says a lookout crew from the Ice Explorer was pivotal to the early detection of the attack, which gave the U.S. forces enough time to disrupt it.
Pirate attacks have dropped recently because of monsoon weather. At least 17 ships and hundreds of crew members are still being held by pirates.

http://www.military.com/news/article/helo-from-us-warship-stops-pirate-attack.html?col=1186032325324I was wondering why there hasn't been any more news on the pirate situation. I know it hasn't gone away and I know nobody really did anything about it except for more military ship presence. Trouble is that is a lot of water and we only have so many ships to cover a lot of merchant traffic.

swampdragon
08-11-2010, 12:13 AM
I was wondering why there hasn't been any more news on the pirate situation. I know it hasn't gone away and I know nobody really did anything about it except for more military ship presence. Trouble is that is a lot of water and we only have so many ships to cover a lot of merchant traffic.

Cheer up. Things will pick back up once the weather is nicer.

old Grump
08-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Cheer up. Things will pick back up once the weather is nicer.The weather is nicer. Must be, I shot 6 of my shotguns yesterday and today promises to be hot and humid again, I think I will shoot half a dozen 22's today. Hmmm, maybe the merchant ships should encourage their crews to take up the same hobby. :machinegun:

swampdragon
08-11-2010, 02:18 AM
The weather is nicer. Must be, I shot 6 of my shotguns yesterday and today promises to be hot and humid again, I think I will shoot half a dozen 22's today. Hmmm, maybe the merchant ships should encourage their crews to take up the same hobby. :machinegun:

I meant the weather there ya nut ball...ha ha.
The article said monsoon season.
Pirates are slackin' off these days.
They only have little boats for some reason.

old Grump
08-11-2010, 02:36 AM
Monsoon, Pontoon....I just took my globe and measured it and there is barely 11" from my house to the Coast of Somalia. It can't be than much different. Besides Monsoon means its hot and humid don't it, wonderful shooting weather. Time to go get 17 ships out of captivity and raise some genuine bullshit hellfire on these dumb asses. Then when good weather returns for them they can apply for UN relief to rebuild their defeated and battered war torn country. Can't go chasing cruise liners and oil tankers around in stolen fishing boats and zodiacs if you are busy digging graves and rebuilding your mothers hut.

swampdragon
08-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Monsoon, Pontoon....I just took my globe and measured it and there is barely 11" from my house to the Coast of Somalia. It can't be than much different. Besides Monsoon means its hot and humid don't it, wonderful shooting weather. Time to go get 17 ships out of captivity and raise some genuine bullshit hellfire on these dumb asses. Then when good weather returns for them they can apply for UN relief to rebuild their defeated and battered war torn country. Can't go chasing cruise liners and oil tankers around in stolen fishing boats and zodiacs if you are busy digging graves and rebuilding your mothers hut.

I gotta be honest.
I think it would be fun as hell to go hunt pirates.
Have a Gunsnet armada of small attack boats and stuff.
We just have to figure out how to get paid for it.

08-11-2010, 06:21 AM
A boarding team confiscated some pirate paraphernalia.
Eye patches and the like I assume?

slamfire51
08-11-2010, 06:46 AM
How did the pirates get their wooden peg-legs to sink?

old Grump
08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I suppose I'll get stuck manning the fire control radar or weapons control again instead of the deck guns. Us radar guys never get to see any sun when we are in the zone. Seriously, set me up a nice little crows nest and a few cases of 300 Wby ammo and just let me do my thing.

I'm not a capital punishment kind of guy but shooting at ships crew and hijacking ships at sea doesn't deserve a show trial and release again. This is an act of war and they need to be treated accordingly.

The fat cats doing the negotiating and directing the pirates activities are known to a lot of people. they deserve the same fate as the young and dumb pirates they send out. Execution on the spot wherever you find them.

slamfire51
08-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I suppose I'll get stuck manning the fire control radar or weapons control again instead of the deck guns. Us radar guys never get to see any sun when we are in the zone. Seriously, set me up a nice little crows nest and a few cases of 300 Wby ammo and just let me do my thing.

I'm not a capital punishment kind of guy but shooting at ships crew and hijacking ships at sea doesn't deserve a show trial and release again. This is an act of war and they need to be treated accordingly.

The fat cats doing the negotiating and directing the pirates activities are known to a lot of people. they deserve the same fate as the young and dumb pirates they send out. Execution on the spot wherever you find them.

You may not see the action, but you'll be satisfied knowing the pirates became shark food.