PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Point .45 ACP Carbine: Are Handgun Caliber Rifles the New Home Defense Shotgun?

Gunreference1
08-11-2010, 04:14 AM
Hi-Point .45 ACP Carbine: Are Handgun Caliber Rifles the New Home Defense Shotgun?

Posted on August 10, 2010 by Robert Farago

http://www.garyengbergoutdoors.com/blog/wp-content/hi-point-carbine.jpg

Capt. John Raguso keeps threatening to send us a review of Kel Tec’s smokin’ SUB-2000 9mm carbine. Today, Hi-Point Carbines drops the news that their long awaited .45 ACP rifle is ready to rock and roll. These handgun-caliber carbine may be gaining favor over the venerable 12-gauge as the weapon of choice for hom defense. And for good reason. In fact, here are four. . .

1. Less recoil than a shotgun

While home defense shotguns put an awful lot of lead downrange with a single trigger squeeze, shooters pay the price with a big ole’ wallop to their shoulder. That’s no big thing for big people who’re comfortable with firearms (who may, in fact, like the kick). And in the heat of battle, who cares? But if a gun is formidable to fire (i.e. painful), its owners are FAR less likely to practice. If they don’t, they will not be confident and accurate.

Even in .45 ACP, handgun-caliber carbines have minimal recoil, relatively speaking. The lower recoil makes the rifles far more attractive to women, teens and (let’s be honest here) small-framed men. They can also put a lot of lead downrange. BONUS! Quick mag changes are easier than reloading a shotgun.

2. Quieter than a shotgun

The state prohibitions against silencers really piss me off. (Somebody was watching way too many spy movies.) Meanwhile, shotguns are ridiculously, enormously loud. While a handgun caliber carbine will make plenty of noise, a shooter stands a chance of being able to hear something after firing—which could save their life. Comparing the two firearms genres, handgun caliber rifles will definitely reduce a shooter’s chances of permanent, perhaps even catastrophic hearing loss.

3. Better than a handgun

So’s a shotgun. But again, there are plenty of people who find shotguns intimidating. In that sense, handgun caliber carbines hit the sweet spot. Thanks to the carbines longer sight radius, they’re easier to aim than a handgun, And more intimidating (i.e. visible)

Handgun caliber carbines increase bullet speed and, thus, penetration. Hi-Point says their .45 ACP’s longer barrel increases velocity figures between 80-200 FPS (feet per second) over a like-chambered handgun.

4. Less expensive

To my way of thinking, a semi-automatic weapon is the best home defense shotgun. A good one costs the thick end of a grand. This Hi-Point .45 ACP Carbine costs $330. The SUB-2000 goes for $409.

I love shotguns. But the handgun caliber carbines may be better for more people. The market will speak.

Specifications for Hi-Point .45 ACP Carbine:

Price: $330 MSRP
Finish: Special high-durability black powder coat
Stock: Black molded polymer-(with standard upper and lower Picatinny rails).
Barrel length: 171/2-inches
Overall length: 33-inches
Weight: 71/2-pounds.
Magazine capacity: 9-rounds.
Sight: Adjustable front post and adjustable rear (ghost ring)
Warranty: Lifetime on parts and labor that follows the gun.
Manufacturer: Hi-Point of Mansfield Ohio-every part is made in the U.S.A.
Factory affordable options are available: Folding grip, laser, scope sight, etc.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/robert-farago/hi-point-45-acp-carbine-are-handgun-caliber-rifles-the-new-home-defense-shotgun/

Steve

Poster's Note: I was very disappointed when I visited the manufacturer's website - http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/carbines_45caliber.html

Helen Keller
08-11-2010, 06:06 AM
I'll be first in line to get one

Getting the barrel threaded too :D :D :D

AKTexas
08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I'll be first in line to get one

Getting the barrel threaded too :D :D :D

Raxar has one now.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?1167-Range-report-Hi-point-.45-with-modded-1911-mags

Helen Keller
08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
No,, he owns the pistol.

AKTexas
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
No,, he owns the pistol.

I stand corrected then.

ready
08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
The only part I disagree with is number 2. Under stress, you'll barely hear the shot. I don't know the exact physiology behind it but you're body seems to turn down anything that's not pertinent to your immediate survival.

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
The only part I disagree with is number 2. Under stress, you'll barely hear the shot. I don't know the exact physiology behind it but you're body seems to turn down anything that's not pertinent to your immediate survival.
I've never found the report from a 12guage to be all that punishing, but that could just be me...

El Jefe
08-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I bought the HiPoint 9mm carbine 4 years ago for shits and grins. It's small and maneuverable, but I don't know if I'd trust my life with it. It averages a jam about every 10 to 15 shots.

I'd love to own a reliable 45acp carbine, but I doubt the HiPoint is it.

El Jefe
08-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I've never found the report from a 12guage to be all that punishing, but that could just be me...

Ever shoot one in a house?

RIGHTWINGJOE
08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi-Point... Hell no.
I do like the Bushmaster Carbon 15 in 9mm though.

That said; the 12 ga. is still #1 and always slung on the bedpost.
M4, G23, and PF-9 are always in arms reach as well... I like variety as much as the next guy.

:thguns:

El Jefe
08-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi-Point... Hell no.
I do like the Bushmaster Carbon 15 in 9mm though.

That said; the 12 ga. is still #1 and always slung on the bedpost.
M4, G23, and PF-9 are always in arms reach as well... I like variety as much as the next guy.

:thguns:

Only issue I can see with the Bushy Carbon 15 is the $900.00 price tag.

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Ever shoot one in a house?
Good point!

matshock
08-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I have yet to have a jam with my correctly assembled Sub 2000 9mm with factory mags and good ammo.

I wouldn't expect it to last as long as an AK or AR but a few hundred break-in rounds and then one or two quick rounds of combat, sure.

OTOH I like M193 better- more stopping power up close with less intermediate barrier penetration.

But 9mm is the most noise/recoil my wife will tolerate.

awp101
08-14-2010, 03:07 PM
If they'd take 1911 mags, or even better double stack Para Ord mags, I think they'd get a bigger market share...

raxar
08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
If they'd take 1911 mags, or even better double stack Para Ord mags, I think they'd get a bigger market share...

1911 mags can be converted to function very easily. besides factory hi-point mags are $18 shipped (from hi-point) so they really aren't much more than a name brand 9 round 1911 mag

awp101
08-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Good to know about the 1911 mags, care to do a "how to" on modding them?:jump: I was under the impression there wasn't anything "mod-able" to replace the proprietary mag.

It's still not a double stack though...;)

raxar
08-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Good to know about the 1911 mags, care to do a "how to" on modding them?:jump: I was under the impression there wasn't anything "mod-able" to replace the proprietary mag.

It's still not a double stack though...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9VXNvcSO9A

and I can assure you, it works. no, not double stack, but is 4 more rounds really that big of a deal?

swampdragon
08-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Other than the price factor, which "is" a factor....I just can't see why anybody would want a Hi-Point clone of the Beretta Storm when you can get the real thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/cx445.jpg

Helen Keller
08-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Storms are OK.

BUT
You can't do nothing with them unless you SBR one.

The 9mm model I had I put close to 3K through one weekend without a hitch.

I will be jumping all over one of these 45 carbines. Get rid of teh front and rear sights and toss a simple red dot on it and mod some 10rd chip mccormick mags.

swampdragon
08-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Storms are OK.

BUT

The 9mm model I had I put close to 3K through one weekend without a hitch.

I will be jumping all over one of these 45 carbines. Get rid of teh front and rear sights and toss a simple red dot on it and mod some 10rd chip mccormick mags.

What is there that you need to do with them?

Mark Ducati
08-16-2010, 09:13 AM
It will cost you $721... but IF you had to have a 45 caliber I'd get an Olympic Arms complete upper receiver for the AR platform... they have 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP uppers that work with any milspec lower.

As for the Hi-Point, ever held one of their pistols? Its like a brick! I can't imagine how much heavier the carbine would be.

Antixx
08-23-2010, 02:31 AM
I say screw your Hi-Points, Beretta's AND Kel-tec's...
My pistol caliber Carbines come from good ol' Calico!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/ubernoodle/Stuff/Calico.jpg

BTW I totally should not have sold that thing. It's the one gun that I will forever kick myself in the ass for getting rid of. Also apparently Calico has started production of their 9mm carbines and pistols again!

skorpion
08-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I say screw your Hi-Points, Beretta's AND Kel-tec's...
My pistol caliber Carbines come from good ol' Calico!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/ubernoodle/Stuff/Calico.jpg

BTW I totally should not have sold that thing. It's the one gun that I will forever kick myself in the ass for getting rid of. Also apparently Calico has started production of their 9mm carbines and pistols again!
Agreed! I will take 100 rounds of 9mm with my Calico over 10 rounds of .45ACP from a Hi-Point anyday for clearing my home. Now if only Calico would make .40S&W and .45ACP versions of their carbines and pistols... And by the way, this here Calico Liberty 9mm cost me $400--Only a little bit more than the MSRP of the new .45 Hi-Point!

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7117/dscn0807s.jpg (http://img690.imageshack.us/i/dscn0807s.jpg/)

HDR
09-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Storms are OK.

BUT

Why????

Helen Keller
09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Why????

THe US Parts count game is what I'm referring to IF you wanna start doing things like getting the barrel threaded for a can or somethin.

I had one before and loved it until I got my UZI.

RJ Shooter
09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Just fired another 200 rounds out of my Storm last weekend. No need to SBR it. It is wonderful as it is.

If I wanted to "can" it, SBR is an easy enough route...

AKTexas
09-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Just fired another 200 rounds out of my Storm last weekend. No need to SBR it. It is wonderful as it is.

If I wanted to "can" it, SBR is an easy enough route...

Have you ever used the 20+ round mags?Wondering if they are even worth it.

RJ Shooter
09-12-2010, 09:40 PM
My MecGar and Beretta 20 round mags are great. I have +2 extensions on them and they work as good as factory 92 HiCaps. I have never found a 30rd mag that functions however! If they made one that had a mag-stop cut out, it might help, but I don't know...

NATIONALIST
11-04-2010, 09:51 PM
i would like a look a one of those HI-POINT 45 carbines !

El Jefe
11-06-2010, 10:58 AM
It will cost you $721... but IF you had to have a 45 caliber I'd get an Olympic Arms complete upper receiver for the AR platform... they have 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP uppers that work with any milspec lower.

As for the Hi-Point, ever held one of their pistols? Its like a brick! I can't imagine how much heavier the carbine would be.

Yeah the pistols are heavy, and ugly. But the carbine isn't bad at all as there's not much more metal in them, lot of plastic tho. The next time I take Matt's apart for cleaning I'll post some pics.