PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 extraction problems

Krupski
09-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

I've been having random extraction problems with my Bushmaster AR-15 carbine.

It's got all standard "black steel" bolt parts, except for the extractor which is chrome plated. It has a standard extractor spring and a black buffer (the little bumper inside the extractor spring). There is no "D-fender" or any other funky extractor stuff.

Strangely, I seem to have flawless function with 55 grain ammo, but occasional failures to extract with 62 grain green tip ammo.

The casing gets stuck in the chamber, needs the cleaning rod to knock it out and there is little to no marking on the rim of the casing (as if the extractor "gave up easily").

The ammo brands are also different (PMC and Lake City 55 grain, Olympic (Greek) 62 grain green tip).

Is there anything I should check for (dimensional differences)? Why would certain rounds work fine and others fail to extract 100%?

Thanks for any advice......

-- Roger

Solidus-snake
09-22-2011, 09:08 PM
About how many rounds you put through it with that extractor and spring?

The extractor claw may be worn down or the spring might be getting weak.

jojo
09-23-2011, 07:33 AM

I agree. They make a stiffer extractor spring. That would be the first thing I would check. I do know that on M16s if you fire the crap out of them and let the bolt close on the breech and sit their while you load magazines, put up targets, etc..... the heat from the breech will transfer to and anneal the extractor spring on the standard gas operated uppers. This will cause issues just like you described.

Also they make heavier buffers.

NAPOTS
09-23-2011, 07:45 AM
an extractor and spring is pretty cheap it might be worth changing it out to see if it improves things

Schuetzenman
09-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Beef up the extractor spring and stop buying that Olympic shit. That Greek commercial ammo is the most piss poor ammo I've ever encountered. It ranges from weak sister strength loads to holy shit that's a proof round type charges! I will not put that crap through my weapons anymore. The best M855 type ammo is the Isreaeli IMI that Widener's has.

Solidus-snake
09-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Beef up the extractor spring and stop buying that Olympic shit. That Greek commercial ammo is the most piss poor ammo I've ever encountered. It ranges from weak sister strength loads to holy shit that's a proof round type charges! I will not put that crap through my weapons anymore. The best M855 type ammo is the Isreaeli IMI that Widener's has.

I agree with this as well, I have heard plenty of bad reports on that olympic ammo.

Krupski
09-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Not all that many rounds (maybe 5000 at most?).

The extractor is chrome plated and the hook is nice, sharp and well defined. I don't think it's worn out.

It's probably the spring or the little rubber nub...

Krupski
09-23-2011, 10:32 PM

How do I beef up the spring? Put in a new one? Or are there springs like Wolff "+20%" springs like they have for mags?

I don't like the idea of a D-Fender... jamming a plastic washer into the bolt just doesn't seem right.

I'm surprised that the Greek ammo rates poorly. They sure look nice... crimped and sealed primers, sealed case necks and really shiny. I still have about 1500 rounds of the Olympic ammo left... maybe I should just blow it out and then buy Lake City or IMI (or PMC... had good luck with that too).

Krupski
09-23-2011, 10:32 PM
I agree with this as well, I have heard plenty of bad reports on that olympic ammo.

In a way, I'm glad to hear this. This maybe means it's not my rifle, but bad ammo.

Texas Soldado
01-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Extractor and spring are 'the usual suspects' but you said sometimes you have to knock out a stuck case from the chamber with a cleaning rod. The real symptom, is whatever is making the case stick. Usually caused by dirty ammo or dirty chamber. I am sure that you keep your chamber clean. It could also be over pressure loads, expanding when fired. If the ammo has any corrosion on the cases that may be the actual cause.
IMO no harm in the 'D' pad, it just gives the extractor spring additional help.

5.56NATO
01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
The best solution to this is a 20in bbl.

O.S.O.K.
01-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Let us know how this comes out - I assume from your reply that you're going to replace the spring?