PDA

View Full Version : Does a muzzle break really work?

goyena70
09-22-2011, 11:22 PM
I would love to tame the recoil on my AK, will a muzzle break do that for me? I have been shopping around and after reading a bunch of reviews I found one without any negative comments at Amazon.com.

imanaknut
09-22-2011, 11:50 PM
The AK-74 style brake does a good job of taming felt recoil, as well as the AMD-65 brake.

The biggest complaint people have with either is that they direct the blast to the sides so you have to be more careful where your neighbors are standing. The other complaint is one I disagree with, is complaints about them making the rifle seem louder. Well isn't that what it is about??? Firing copper and lead downrange at high speed and making a bunch of noise!!!!!

Schuetzenman
09-23-2011, 07:09 AM
:gruebel: An AK has recoil? That flea sized nudge is recoil to you?

TomO
09-23-2011, 07:55 AM
:gruebel: An AK has recoil? That flea sized nudge is recoil to you?

Have to admit that it came as quite a shock to me too.

binky59
09-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Oh Hell I get a kick out of my AKs. Nice light sharp recoil with a 74 style brake.
Now my 12guage with 3" slugs packs a pretty good thump, but it is usually
one thump one deer and I'm done.

l921428x
09-24-2011, 01:46 AM
I would love to tame the recoil on my AK, will a muzzle break do that for me? I have been shopping around and after reading a bunch of reviews I found one without any negative comments at Amazon.com.

Believe me I am no expert on this page. But are you talking of recoil to the shoulder or muzzle rise/flip.

NAPOTS
09-24-2011, 02:01 AM
WTF an AK has recoil? go shoot a hundred rounds of 8mm mauser on a rifle with a steel buttplate and then tell me the AK has recoil.

Or even better yet, shoot some .45-70 that is loaded to its potential with smokless powder

Izzy
09-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Compared to an AK-74, any AK-47 will have more rise in the muzzle and some recoil /slower time untill you are back on target.

I was looking at the Jtac type break, but the increased muzzle flash at night really gums up any benefit IMHO. Secondly, I looked the vid on youtube and could not see much of a difference in the way it affected the shooter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSRD-sdPsk

Thye best price on these is NOT on amazon, but at aimsurplus dot com.:zwinker12:

binky59
09-25-2011, 05:10 PM
I tried a slant brake and liked it because I'm right handed and with the
brake offset to the left it lessens the rise of up and to the left that you
get when you're right handed.

Signman01
10-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I had the same question recently. I took several with me to test at the range. I first started without any brake at all just to get a starting point. I then tried the slant brake, a slotted brake, a cage brake,the AK74 style and then Tapco's RAZR brake. The main things that I was paying attention to was the recoil, muzzle climb and volume. Now, I did not have any scientific equipment for this test. It was all just shooter preference and a buddy with a video camera so that we could view the muzzle climb from a side view. Out of all of them, I felt like it was a close tie between the AK74 style and the RAZR, but for me the RAZR won out because it weighs a bit less than the AK74 style and it has the added feature of being able to stick something if necessary.
http://www.heroestactical.net/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1194079&pid=75902
http://www.heroestactical.net/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1194079&pid=68600

Good luck!

Helen Keller
10-23-2011, 12:51 PM
I use the Bulgy SLotted brake and there's almost no rise at all.

El Laton Caliente
10-23-2011, 01:00 PM
The AK-74 style brake does a good job of taming felt recoil, as well as the AMD-65 brake.

The biggest complaint people have with either is that they direct the blast to the sides so you have to be more careful where your neighbors are standing. The other complaint is one I disagree with, is complaints about them making the rifle seem louder. Well isn't that what it is about??? Firing copper and lead downrange at high speed and making a bunch of noise!!!!!

Concure... The slant brakes just help muzzle climb during FA, they don't do much for a semi. The AK-74 and AMD brakes if I had to guess reduce felt recoil by +/-20% or better.