PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a WASR 10/63 for purchase

brewboy
09-23-2011, 06:01 AM
It's through an individual and he's wanting $575 for the gun, couple of 30 round clips, mounted red dot scope, sling and 500 rounds of ammo. I saw one picture of it and it appears to be in good shape, but the picture isn't great. Good news is that I can see it in person before laying down any cash.

I know, through a little online research, that I need to look for canted sights and/or gas block, also loose magazines. This is my first look at an AK, so I'm definitely in virgin territory here. Can anyone offer some assistance as to how's the best way to check for these problems?

If you can point me to any other problem areas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

NineFiveBravo
09-23-2011, 08:18 AM
The canted sight issue isn't a huge deal, most of the canted sights shoot accurate regardless... but if the sights are severely canted, thats when problems will occur. I have had Chinese, Egyptian, Romanian, and Hungarian AK rifles, and dealt with Russian AK rifles overseas. Most have some play in the magazine, ranging from a wiggle to full on slop. Again, shouldn't have a negative effect on the weapon functioning. My latest WASR magwell was too tight, I had to grease the mag with moly grease to get it seated, so a few minutes with an angle grinder got it perfect.

Nothing else that I have experienced will render the weapon useless. You can grind, buff, and polish a turd pretty well.

Obviously check the receiver for dents that would prevent moving parts from, well... moving. Make sure the rails that guide the bold aren't wrecked, the gas tube is in good shape and not damaged. pull the bolt out, and stare down the chamber side of the barrel while looking up at a light source to see if the barrel is in good shape. If its dirty, it can be cleaned. If its chipped, flaking, corroding, or the rifling is worn... you may want to reconsider buying the gun.

Even if the red dot sight is a complete piece of shit, the extra mags and 500 rounds of ammo make what you got a fair price.

brewboy
09-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Great information. Stupid question, but how do you release the bolt or is this obvious?

The scope is a Leapers. Not sure of the model.

Thanks for your help.

O.S.O.K.
09-23-2011, 09:15 AM
When you say "release the bolt" if you are talking about releasing it when it's locked back, you don't have to worry about that because they don't lock back on an empty mag or otherwise. KISS design.

There are mags with a little rear hump on the followers that will hold the bolt back upon shooting empty - Yugo I think...

The Leapers scope is a very inexpensive brand.

Given the ammo and if the scope mount is decent... that seems like a fair price - especially since there's no ffl transfer, tax or shipping, etc.

I've got an UF 10-63 and its a very nice AK - the nicest Rommy that I've seen really. These start as milsurp parts kits which means that you shouldn't be seeing any canting, etc.

brewboy
09-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Actually, I said that wrong. I was referring to the previous post and asking how to remove it for chamber inspection.

Yes, the lack of tax, shipping, etc., plus hands on inspection, is very appealing to me.

O.S.O.K.
09-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Oh, in that case, you remove the dust cover by pushing the rear catch button in and pulling up and back on the cover. Make sure the safety is on "fire" - in the down position. Then, remove the recoild guide/spring by pushing forward on the catch button to slide it out of it's grooves and lift up. Ater that, you can slide the bolt carrier all the way back - pushing down some on the top of the carrier and when you get to the rear, it will lift up and out (there are openings on either side of the receiver rail to allow this). Put it back the same way - put it over the openings, push down and slide forward.

Hope that helps.

brewboy
09-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Sounds simple enough. I'll print this out and take it with me. Thanks for the help.

O.S.O.K.
09-23-2011, 10:18 AM
No prob! Looking forward to the pics and range report :)

BTW - here's a pic of mine before I refinished the handguards:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5171/5589643254_4f3154b4c7_z.jpg

And here's what the receiver markings should look like (minus the UF):

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5589643228_d2acaac24e_z.jpg

brewboy
09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
By looking at that lettering, it looks brand new. Very nice.

Full Otto
09-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Sounds simple enough. I'll print this out and take it with me. Thanks for the help.

This slide show may help
http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ss/ak47_fieldstrip_2.htm

I was looking for a diagram but it's eluding me today. There are also some videos on youtube on field stripping that may help you get familiar enough to look like you know what you're doing in front of the seller.
I can't watch them so didn't link them if they're lame or not helpful

imanaknut
09-23-2011, 06:06 PM
One more item to look at: http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/SAROperationManual.pdf

Getting the receiver cover back on takes some practice. Don't get frustrated if you have trouble. I have been playing with AK variants for a long time and that receiver cover still can put up a good fight to not go back in place.

Oh, and please don't ever say that AKs use clips! :nono: As you stated later in your first post, AK variants use magazines. Garands use clips. :D

binky59
09-23-2011, 10:22 PM
You should be in the ballpark at $575 with the ammo and red dot. Prices are starting to climb again
before the election in 2012. Here in NY they sell th 10/63's for about $475 of course there is an 8%
tax so were over $500 for a bare bones weapon.

NineFiveBravo
09-24-2011, 07:57 AM
on long island they are approaching $600 now bare bones