PDA

View Full Version : Para P14 custom work

nfa1934
09-29-2011, 01:47 AM
I have a Para Ordnance P14 that I'm planning to send out for custom work when I get home. It's mostly to correct some previous sub-standard custom work from a long time ago (like 16 years ago). I initially had a trigger job done, beavertail installed, and a Bar-Sto barrel fitted by a guy in Nashville (very happy with the work). That guy moved away and I took the gun to another shop in Knoxville for new sights, de-horn, and re-finish. They were terrible. They just installed the sights in the existing dovetail (these sights were supposed to be mounted flush with the top of the slide, which needed some machining); this looked ridiculous, imagine a set of Bo-mars just stuck on top of a rounded slide. The de-horn looked like it was done by a chimp with a file and they failed to follow my diretions on the re-finish (I asked for the same type of finish as the original - they parkerized it). I left it there with new instructions on the sights and finish (I chose different sights that didn't require machining because I didn't trust them to do it right, specified a black teflon finish, and pointed out a place they failed to take off a sharp edge). When I returned to pick it up, the sights were fine but the finish didn't look very good. Later I noticed that they fixed the sharp edge I'd pointed out after the new refinish, then touched it up with paint (I noticed it when the paint flaked off). I just counted this experience as a lesson learned and took the pistol home.

Now I'm thinking about fixing all the things I don't like. The night sights have gone dim, I still don't like the finish, and the de-horned edges look sloppy (not to mention the edge that is bare metal because of the paint stunt). I'm thinking about sending it to Clark's for a meltdown job (should erase all traces of a sloppy de-horn since a melt is way more aggressive), re-finish, and new sights. Has anyone handled a Clark meltdown or used Clark for custom work?