PDA

View Full Version : Mak 90 magazine question

Len Snyder
09-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I bought a mak 90 sporter and want to buy some magazines for it. The person who sold it to me bought it over 20 years ago and never used it. Can someone tell me which magazines will fit this gun? I got two mags with the gun and one won't fit. I can probably file it down to fit but I might wreck it also so i'd rather buy new ones that fit from the start. Thanks, lennnie..

imanaknut
09-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

As long as it is 7.62x39 any standard AK mag will fit. There are some plastic mags that are really snug and might need some filing to fit, but the beauty of the AK/AKM is that they all used common mags regardless of country of origin.

One thing I have found is that sometimes the mag will rust between the plate that is welded to the top of the mag body and the mag body itself causing it to bow out slightly. I have purchased many mags really cheap because they either didn't fit the mag well or the inside was bowed by the rust causing the follower to jam. A little work with a dremel and then a good de-rusting and oiling solved the problem.

alismith
09-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I can't imagine any AK mag not fitting a MAK 90. I've never had any problems with the ones I have.

If I were to hazard a guess, could it be a problem with a Russian, or an East European mag not fitting in the Chinese gun? I'm not a big fan of the EE, or Russian, mags, but they're about all you can get these days.

If so, you might try finding some Chinese mags, but they're going to be very hard to come by.

Other than that, just keep trying different mags until you find a style that fits.