View Full Version : just a reminder guys

whos2kno
10-01-2011, 11:00 PM
to change out your mag on your carry pistol
dont want weak spring when the sh%$ hits the fan
:bouncing-boobies::ashooteremoyt7::welcome4:

imanaknut
10-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Actually according to Beretta it is the loading and unloading of a mag that weakens the spring. Say it is ok to keep the mag loaded.

whos2kno
10-01-2011, 11:24 PM
really
never heard of that. time for research
thanks

FunkyPertwee
10-02-2011, 12:29 AM
I think poor metals used in springs can cause them to go just by sitting with pressure. Or maybe the manufacturers are making magazines with a higher capacity than what the factory springs can handle.

I always thought they had to compress and decompress to lose their strength, but the factory 15 round mags for my early XD-9 went bad about the same time a few years I purchased the pistol, even though I shot very little back then. So I use Wolff brand springs in my factory mags, but stick to Mec-Gar brand for the rest of my pistol mags.

OzarkRecluse
10-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Springs are fine under pressure. Mags have stayed loaded for years with no ill effects.

WB!
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
When in doubt, carry a revolver.

az_paul
02-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Imanaknut said "Actually according to Beretta it is the loading and unloading of a mag that weakens the spring. Say it is ok to keep the mag loaded."

I've heard the same thing from several sources.

old Grump
02-03-2012, 01:55 AM
to change out your mag on your carry pistol
dont want weak spring when the sh%$ hits the fan
:bouncing-boobies::ashooteremoyt7::welcome4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DnnJ2NJlrJs

With this caveat, a cheap magazine with poor material will go bad sooner rather than later whether it's loaded or used often but a quality magazine will just keep on chugging. It has everything to do with the steel used in the springs, today's springs are nothing like the old ones of 60 years ago.