PDA

View Full Version : Day at the Range

ltorlo64
10-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Took my DTI AR-15 to the range today. I have a friend how reloads and he has been after me to go shooting with him to determine the best load for my AR. I figure, he is providing the ammo, I need to go.

Went to the local range and I started shooting some PMC that I brought, using a mil-spec peep sight on a carry handle. I was shooting about 1.5" high and to the right with a grouping of about 4" at 100 yards. My buddy then had me mount an ACOG that he brought. The idea was to sight in with the ACOG and then use his hand loads to determine the best load for my rifle. The problem, we could not get the ACOG to sight in. The rifle was shooting high and we could not get it down onto the paper. I had to aim almost 2' below the target and then I was still hitting about 2" high, but I was centered. I took the ACOG off and went back to the peep and it was right on again.

I have thought about getting an optical sight for my AR but after today I am not sure I want to. I shoot well with open sights, not sure what getting a optical sight will do for me.

Well, now it is time to clean the rifle.

Solidus-snake
10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds like something up with the ACOG. That's one hell if an expensive paperweight..

NAPOTS
10-02-2011, 10:04 PM
get a flat top uper if you want to mount an optic on it. Thats what I did

Then a few months later I felt compelled to buy another lower and make it its own rifle. LOL

ltorlo64
10-02-2011, 10:08 PM
My rifle is a flat top. When I built it I really badly wanted it to look old school, so I put the carry handle on it. So far I am happy with my decision. I wish the optics would have worked so I could see how accurate the rifle really is.

ltorlo64
10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Sounds like something up with the ACOG. That's one hell if an expensive paperweight..

My buddy uses it on a Kel-Tec rifle he has and I guess it does great there. I have been thinking of getting an optic but this sort of concerns me.

Solidus-snake
10-03-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm sure you would have better luck with another optic. I have a cheap bushnell scope I throw on my m4gery sometimes that does good at 100 yards.

Arrange another range trip with some buddies with optics and see what you can find. To help me conserve ammo i only take a 20rd and 30rd mag to sight in with. Can't shoot what you don't bring lol.

Schuetzenman
10-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Not sure what's up with the Acog, but clearly if you have the carry handle A2 sight and it works right, somethings up with the Acog sight. Is the Acog much taller than the carry handle A2 sight you have? Shooting high if it was an IRON sight would say that the rear sight (Acog) is much taller and you can't crank down the elevation enough to get it to zero out.

Oh, one other thought, you were both having a brain fart and cranking the elevation turret the wrong way on the Acog. If not that his Acog's elevation turet may be broken.