PDA

View Full Version : Cain wins another straw poll

mriddick
10-02-2011, 06:15 PM
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/02/8100971-cain-wins-another-straw-poll

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- After delivering a rousing speech with multiple standing ovations on Saturday, presidential hopeful Herman Cain overwhelmingly won the National Federation of Republican Women’s Convention straw poll with 48.9% of the vote.

The news is trending up for Cain, I think he's on a roll. I expect him to be the new front runner very soon if things continue on.

LAGC
10-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Herman Cain on Gun Control:

BLITZER: Should states or local governments be allowed to control the gun situation . . .

CAIN: Yes

BLITZER: So the answer is yes?

CAIN: Yes. The answer is yes, that should be a state’s decision.

Cain’s position — that Congress can’t regulate guns but states can — not only places him well to the left of the NRA, it also places him at odds with the Supreme Court. In McDonald v. Chicago, the justices held 5-4 that the Second Amendment applies equally to the states and to the federal government. So any gun control law that Congress could not enact also cannot be enacted by state or local governments as Cain would prefer.

Cain’s relatively moderate stance on gun control also places him well to the left of the Republican Party. Senate Republicans savaged Justice Sonia Sotomayor during her confirmation hearings because she took the Herman Cain position on gun control while she was a lower court judge — although Sotomayor’s decision was the correct one because it came down before the Supreme Court changed its interpretation of the Second Amendment in McDonald.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/06/10/242793/anti-gun-herman-cain/

Be careful what you wish for... "state's rights" may sound all good in theory, but in the case of the Second Amendment, state's rights means states can pass gun controls despite Federal protections against it.

Sorry Herman, but state's rights shouldn't be able to trump the Constitution.

mriddick
10-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Be careful what you wish for... "state's rights" may sound all good in theory, but in the case of the Second Amendment, state's rights means states can pass gun controls despite Federal protections against it.

I never said I'm wishing for Cain, only that he's gaining popularity.
As for his gun stance it's really not that far from probably more then you think here, I've had that exact same debate here and several stuck up for state's rights over 2nd rights. It's not my position but it is for many and it is the historical position (before heller). I recently left a board over that exact same issue being the mainstream idea (it was a southern state based board which does explain it as I think most south are apt to put the 10th above the 2nd).

I also think Cain is probably more teachable on the 2nd then obama which is probably still to the left of Cain's...which does give me some hope he can change it before 2012.

O.S.O.K.
10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I would like to hear him talk about gun control vs states rights again - this is all from one interview and there was a string of "states rights" questions.

Everybody is buzzing about Chris Christie - but the guy supports gun control, has the same stance on illegals as Perry and has some other rather liberal views as well.... so he'd probably get his ass handed to him from a conservative point of view if he joined in on the debates.

El Jefe
10-02-2011, 08:02 PM

No they can't and no it doesn't. As usual you get it wrong due to your childish, stupid world view.

This post of yours is a transparent attempt at grasping at straws. Nothing you've linked to is any different than what's been going on already, and that is it's the lefty cities and states that are against the 2nd, the very aholes you support.

Amazing.

Schuetzenman
10-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Go Herman Go.

Warthogg
10-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I would like to hear him talk about gun control vs states rights again - this is all from one interview and there was a string of "states rights" questions.

Everybody is buzzing about Chris Christie - but the guy supports gun control, has the same stance on illegals as Perry and has some other rather liberal views as well.... so he'd probably get his ass handed to him from a conservative point of view if he joined in on the debates.

Since I have come to realize we-the-peoples are porked regardless of which RINO is chosen to run against Barry, a certain calmness has settled in. (In the fifth Dubya Bush year, my eyes opened though I don't exactly know why that happened.)

Wart

1 Patriot-of-many
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Better than Romney's position on the second. Romney has a clear record of action spitting on the 2nd. I'm sure he'll try and disavow it just like Romneycare....

There's three true believers in the 2nd I see. Bachmann, Paul and Santorum

TheMrMitch
10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Be careful. America experimented once and failed. Just say no to Cain.