PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing any turkey hunting yet this year?

El Jefe
10-05-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm hoping to go on the 9th. Haven't really had opportunity yet, so hopefully we'll have time to bag a bird or two.

Anyone? :)

AKTexas
10-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm going when the season opens for us. Same day as deer season.

ltorlo64
10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Have never went turkey hunting but it is on my short list of things to do. When we first moved to Washington there were no turkeys. The state planted some, I guess they used to be native here, and they just took off (no pun intended). I hear we now have great turkey hunting here. In my mind it is like big game bird hunting. Bagging a turkey would be cool. When you guys go, post pics of your game.

El Jefe
10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Have never went turkey hunting but it is on my short list of things to do. When we first moved to Washington there were no turkeys. The state planted some, I guess they used to be native here, and they just took off (no pun intended). I hear we now have great turkey hunting here. In my mind it is like big game bird hunting. Bagging a turkey would be cool. When you guys go, post pics of your game.

I'll take some pics, win or lose. :)

blobman
10-05-2011, 09:36 PM
jc ,ill be going this weekend in henry co., im takin the marlin goose gun,if i see em ill kill fo sho.............are we shooting at toms AND hens?

El Jefe
10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
jc ,ill be going this weekend in henry co., im takin the marlin goose gun,if i see em ill kill fo sho.............are we shooting at toms AND hens?

If it's brown it's down! :biggrina:

Helen Keller
10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
had seen close to 300 birds within 10 miles all summer...

leaves change colors and POOF! all gone.

Partisan1983
10-06-2011, 12:15 AM
I've always wanted too, I have just never gotten around to doing it.

El Jefe
10-06-2011, 09:34 AM
had seen close to 300 birds within 10 miles all summer...

leaves change colors and POOF! all gone.

They're not that far off, turkey's don't migrate and their range isn't that big. I'm familiar with a parcel of land that's only about 400 acres, it has 3 distinct groups of turkey's on it and they're there year round. Now, when they choose to be, they're the masters of camouflage, and can be very quite. But they're still there.

I've always had the best luck in the morning with them here. And if there's a slight rain or its misting, I guarantee they'll be out in the open meadows feeding.

Full Otto
11-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I spotted these guys today

http://i42.tinypic.com/v3g0mx.jpg

First saw them late last winter. Had to get out of the house so took my dog and camera. They were pretty far off across a fresh picked corn field.
I pulled over in the woods but they still saw me and started heading for the woods.
Zoomed in point and shot. This one picture is all I got