PDA

View Full Version : Woo hoo! Made a pipe tobacco order this morning.

El Jefe
10-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I like McClellan pipe tobacco's quite a bit, and the fact that they're a Kansas City company doesn't hurt either.

Got tins of the following:

Frog Morton (my favorite)
Black Shag
Tudor Castle/Arcade
2010 Special Anniversary (they made more due to demand)

Now I need to get my bent Butz Choquin out and clean it up. :thumbsup:

L1A1Rocker
10-05-2011, 02:16 PM
I like McClellan pipe tobacco's quite a bit, and the fact that they're a Kansas City company doesn't hurt either.

Got tins of the following:

Frog Morton (my favorite)
Black Shag
Tudor Castle/Arcade
2010 Special Anniversary (they made more due to demand)

Now I need to get my bent Butz Choquin out and clean it up. :thumbsup:

I need to send my Calabash off for repair. The mershaum insert broke right in half.

El Jefe
10-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I need to send my Calabash off for repair. The mershaum insert broke right in half.

Yes, mershaum is fragile. Ive bought one, liked it, it smoked nice and cool, but I broke it. :(

TEN-32
10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
I like the Frog Morton, too. I've been smoking Billy Bud from Cornell & Diehl. Has a cigar leaf in the mix. Pretty good stuff. Haven't tried any of the others you listed.

El Jefe
10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I like the Frog Morton, too. I've been smoking Billy Bud from Cornell & Diehl. Has a cigar leaf in the mix. Pretty good stuff. Haven't tried any of the others you listed.

They are different mixes, but they all have latakia in them. That's a must for my taste.

TEN-32
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
They are different mixes, but they all have latakia in them. That's a must for my taste.

I strongly prefer the English blends, but I also like the Virginia/Perique mixes, or VAPERs as they are called.

El Jefe
10-05-2011, 04:06 PM
I strongly prefer the English blends, but I also like the Virginia/Perique mixes, or VAPERs as they are called.

Cool. Dunhill makes some nice tinned pipe tobacco's, and they're about as English as it gets. :)

After I go through this coming stash, I might have to order some Dunhill, haven't had any in a good while.

The Wife won't appreciate it, but I may break down and have a Guiness and a stogy tonight. I've got two Monte Cristo churchills left, hate to see em go to waste. :biggrina:

TEN-32
10-05-2011, 05:42 PM
If you want to try something different, get a tin of this stuff. Its pretty awesome.

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=E&TID=6

El Jefe
10-06-2011, 09:44 AM
If you want to try something different, get a tin of this stuff. Its pretty awesome.

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=E&TID=6

Interesting, I just may give it a shot. :)

recon
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Any of you try pipe tobacco cigars?

http://www.tobacco-barn.com/c-20-pipe-tobacco-cigars.aspx

O.S.O.K.
10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
This is interesting.

One of the things I've been looking into for after moving to my land is to clear 5 or 10 acres and grow tobacco leaf. There's a discussion board for that (for everything no?) and it seems that shade leaf tobacco is the thing (used as cigar wrapper) as it's labor intensive and the big boys don't like to fool with it - it brings a good price.

You'd be surprised at how much an acre of this stuff will make in gross profits - if its of good quality and you have a place to sell.

And no, you don't need a license or pay any special taxes to grow the stuff - just can't process it at all - that means no removal of veins, etc. and not chopping, etc. - must be whole leaf when you sell it. You do cure it though which is just controlled drying.

Tobacco used to be this country's biggest cash crop for farmers...

I still have to figure out if the climate in MS will be conducive to good leaf but I think it will... the soil is great - sandy loam.

I personally don't use tobacco other than the occasional social cigar.

El Jefe
10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
The best domestic shade leaf comes from Connecticut. There is a lot of tobacco grown here in Missouri. In the western part of the state you see tobacco barns everywhere.

There is a lot of art and science involved in growing good, flavorful tobacco.

TEN-32
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Check this out OSOK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYopcXY8uwk

O.S.O.K.
10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
That is interesting -got about 1/2 way through. I do know that burley is a commodity type leaf - which is NOT what I want to get into. From what I understand, for a small plot, you want something like shade leaf (using 40% nets) or cuban or other "specialty" leaf. I didn't know about topping the plants but that makes sense... I have to school-up on the whole process.

I just think it is cool as hell though that you can actually make a good living off of 10 acres of tobacco if everything works out.... I can definately see it being a part of a revenue plan.

Boy would I love to get the hell off of the road... I'm leaving out today again to go and try and convince some operator customers to buy my fry coatings and sauces.... never ending travel schedule...

I'd rather be a farmer of specialty tobacco and maybe some veggies that we could sell at a farmer's market...

Gunner1558
01-10-2013, 01:36 PM
I smoked Rum & Maple for over 50 years.

They stopped making it, and I quit smoking shortly thereafter.

Sat down one night and decided that I had not lighted the pipe all day, just let it sit and see how long I could go without it.

Over 2 years now, without a puff of anything, and the pipe sits right beside me, waiting, like an old friend.

recon
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
You get some free samples here.
http://www.stglanepipe.com/FreeSamples.aspx

El Jefe
04-18-2013, 05:28 PM
That is interesting -got about 1/2 way through. I do know that burley is a commodity type leaf - which is NOT what I want to get into. From what I understand, for a small plot, you want something like shade leaf (using 40% nets) or cuban or other "specialty" leaf. I didn't know about topping the plants but that makes sense... I have to school-up on the whole process.

I just think it is cool as hell though that you can actually make a good living off of 10 acres of tobacco if everything works out.... I can definately see it being a part of a revenue plan.

Boy would I love to get the hell off of the road... I'm leaving out today again to go and try and convince some operator customers to buy my fry coatings and sauces.... never ending travel schedule...

I'd rather be a farmer of specialty tobacco and maybe some veggies that we could sell at a farmer's market...

As you've probably figured out tobacco is very labor intensive if you want the best yield. Hell it makes old school cotton farming look tame.

I didn't bother to save a link, but I watch a 30 min vid here a while back on shade leaf tobacco farmers in Connecticut. Damn that's an involved process. But I love a good cigar with a Connecticut shade wrapper. :)

El Laton Caliente
04-18-2013, 06:28 PM
I got my order of two apple shisha, a kilo, and three kings coals, three boxes of 40mm, yesterday. Nobody smokes a hooka?

TEN-32
04-18-2013, 07:54 PM
I got my order of two apple shisha, a kilo, and three kings coals, three boxes of 40mm, yesterday. Nobody smokes a hooka?

That is something I have yet to try.

NAPOTS
04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
how is the room note with Frog Morton? It seems that a lot of people like it. I tried a couple of tins of CAO flavors but the casing is too strong for me, like smoking perfume.

I have found that I do like 1Q however.

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 10:48 AM
how is the room note with Frog Morton? It seems that a lot of people like it. I tried a couple of tins of CAO flavors but the casing is too strong for me, like smoking perfume.

I have found that I do like 1Q however.

Room note? Do you mean smell?

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 10:49 AM

You know that's legal in Colorado now. ;)

El Laton Caliente
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
That is something I have yet to try.

You should have seen a buddy and I pull out the hooka and a half gallon of Crown Royal while camping next to a whole small town police force... The Chief, Sargent, five or six patrol officers and the animal control guy... It raised some eye brows... and they drank half our bottle...

FunkyPertwee
04-19-2013, 11:00 AM

But magazines aren't. :(

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
But magazines aren't. :(

True enough. There was an interesting thread on one of the RV forums I post on. Some guy stated he was boycotting Colorado due to there new BS gun laws, man that really set some of the Libs off. Easily the most political thread I've seen on those forums.

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
You should have seen a buddy and I pull out the hooka and a half gallon of Crown Royal while camping next to a whole small town police force... The Chief, Sargent, five or six patrol officers and the animal control guy... It raised some eye brows... and they drank half our bottle...

So I'm curious, why a hooka?

El Laton Caliente
04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Smoked right it is very smooth and you can puff instead of inhaling for the flavor. The wife got me to quit cigarettes, then cigars (when she caught me inhaling them... didn't even realize I was). Never did find a pipe and tobacco I really liked.

A buddy got me smoking his hooka and I liked it.

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Smoked right it is very smooth and you can puff instead of inhaling for the flavor. The wife got me to quit cigarettes, then cigars (when she caught me inhaling them... didn't even realize I was). Never did find a pipe and tobacco I really liked.

A buddy got me smoking his hooka and I liked it.

Hows that work while driving? ;)

El Laton Caliente
04-19-2013, 02:13 PM
It cut way back on the smoking...

...and I can smell again...

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 02:24 PM
It cut way back on the smoking...

...and I can smell again...

Smelling is over rated. :tongue:

But seriously, where do you buy a hooka and hooka tobacco?

El Laton Caliente
04-19-2013, 02:41 PM
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/?&utm_source=icontact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hookah%20and%20shisha%20central&utm_content=black+friday+last+day!

http://www.hookahcompany.com/?utm_content=rdgodsey%40msn.com&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Value%20Pack%20Attack%20%2B%20New%20H ookah%20University%20Lessonscontent

I've bought from both of them. You can look up Hookah bars in your area, but they are normally much higher.

If you are in Houston: http://www.phoeniciafoods.com/ Great place with a HUGE in stock selection and as cheap or cheaper than on line...

I would advise to not get one of the mini or small hookahs, they smoke hot. Deeper or "turbo" bowels smoke cooler.

This is the most popular shisha in the world:
http://www.hookahcompany.com/images_products/501_big.jpg

Self lighting charcoals stick to Three Kings or Golden. The non-self lighting I like the coconut charcoal. I use a propane torch to light coals. The standard, many people use a hot plate.

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Interesting. I noticed most of the tobacco brands appeared to be flavored. What's that about?

TEN-32
04-19-2013, 03:45 PM

Making new friends huh? Hell I'd have drank it if offered...:anim_beer-1:
Might have even tried a hit off your bong...LOL.

El Laton Caliente
04-19-2013, 04:00 PM
One of them did to make sure it wasn't what they thought it was...

El Laton Caliente
04-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Interesting. I noticed most of the tobacco brands appeared to be flavored. What's that about?

Shisha is cured tobacco soaked in molasses and normally a fruit puree or other flavoring. It is wet. You don't burn the shisha but steam it; the charcoal supplies the heat. The charcoals are the opposite of BBQ charcoal in that they are designed / made to have very little smoke. You use a screen or aluminum foil with holes poked into it to hold the coal above the shisha ¼" or more.

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Shisha is cured tobacco soaked in molasses and normally a fruit puree or other flavoring. It is wet. You don't burn the shisha but steam it; the charcoal supplies the heat. The charcoals are the opposite of BBQ charcoal in that they are designed / made to have very little smoke. You use a screen or aluminum foil with holes poked into it to hold the coal above the shisha ¼" or more.

Damn, I never would have guessed half of that. So you're not smoking tobacco, you're herfing steam? :confused1:

NAPOTS
04-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Room note? Do you mean smell?

yes, the smell for others. Does it smell pleasant when smoked indoors or does it smell like burning hair?

El Laton Caliente
04-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Most of the shishas have a pleasant odor in the pipe. They smell, and taste, like apples, mint, orange cream, grape, plum, etc... many have a hint of licorice or spice to them.

I smoke outside as it gets messy inside. The self lighting coals fizzle kinda like a sparkler and give off black dust when they do. All coals give off ash and you move them around. Loading fresh molasses soaked shisha can be messy and so can removing the spent shisha. Smoking a hookah inside would be almost like doing BBQ inside... normally it is limited to hookah bars and never on rugs or carpet.

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 09:13 PM
yes, the smell for others. Does it smell pleasant when smoked indoors or does it smell like burning hair?

Well, I think it smells good and the wife doesn't whine about it like she does cigar smoke.

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Most of the shishas have a pleasant odor in the pipe. They smell, and taste, like apples, mint, orange cream, grape, plum, etc... many have a hint of licorice or spice to them.

I smoke outside as it gets messy inside. The self lighting coals fizzle kinda like a sparkler and give off black dust when they do. All coals give off ash and you move them around. Loading fresh molasses soaked shisha can be messy and so can removing the spent shisha. Smoking a hookah inside would be almost like doing BBQ inside... normally it is limited to hookah bars and never on rugs or carpet.

I guess I'm having a hard time getting my head around this deal. Obviously it's much different than I thought. We've all seen sheiks in movies smoking a hooka, I just figured it was a kind of pipe tobacco. Had no clue about the molasses and stuff.

So it's really not like smoking tobacco at all, right?

NAPOTS
04-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Ive smoked a hookah occasionally. its flavored tobacco.

give it a try, it cant hurt. you might think its too sweet but you might like it