PDA

View Full Version : Changing Out an AR Trigger

ltorlo64
10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
How difficult is it to change out an AR trigger. The one on the DTI I built is a little stiff and it actually sort of slips about 4 times from when I put my finger on it and start to squeeze to when the rifle fires.

Also, any recommendations for a trigger assembly that is reliable, smooth and not too expensive would be welcome.

Schuetzenman
10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Not very hard, drive out the two pins that hold in the hammer, disconnector and trigger. Arnold Jewell makes a great 2 stage match trigger fully tunable and repeatable. Probably over 200 bucks now.

There are modular drop in triggers I've seen, let me think what they are called. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR661-7.html Well Timmney makes a unitized drop in, wasn't the one I was thinking of but I found this one first.

Ah got it, the Chip McCormic drop in match triggers. http://www.cmctriggers.com/ These look pretty good but I don't have any 1st hand experience with them, only the Jewell triggers.

Solidus-snake
10-05-2011, 06:54 PM
How difficult is it to change out an AR trigger. The one on the DTI I built is a little stiff and it actually sort of slips about 4 times from when I put my finger on it and start to squeeze to when the rifle fires.

Also, any recommendations for a trigger assembly that is reliable, smooth and not too expensive would be welcome.

Just reverse the way you assembled it lol. I've tried polishing mine, which was part of the DPMS LPK I used, but I can't smooth it out. I've had my eye on a Spikes Battle Trigger, they're pretty good priced and I've heard good things about them, but they're still backordered last I checked

Krupski
10-05-2011, 09:24 PM

I have these in all my AR15 rifles:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/nmtrgg.gif

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=294

One thing you may notice about that trigger is that the sear grabs the hammer up high, well away from the center of the axis pin. A stock AR-15 sear holds the hammer very close to the center of the axis pin.

This means that the FORCE on the RRA trigger sear is much lower (because of the increased radius and increased mechanical advantage). Therefore, the trigger pull is much lighter and much smoother.

Also, being a "two stage" trigger, the trigger smoothly pulls through "stage 1", then stops. The slightest more pull fires the weapon. This makes "jerking" the trigger almost impossible.

I'm not sure if it's in the price range you are looking for... $120 and up....

ltorlo64
10-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks. Price is a little more than I was expecting, but not out of what I could be talked into.

NAPOTS
10-05-2011, 10:29 PM
I have Geissele triggers in my ARs they are nice.

The factory AR trigger sucks IMHO. I have had an RRA two stage trigger in the past and it was real nice as well

FMJ50
01-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I have to agree with Schuetzenman, two of the best I've ever used are Jewell and the "drop in" Timmney. You've, no doubt, spent some bucks on your rifle allready; don't settle for anything less than a crisp sweet trigger. Spend the money, you will be glad you did.

5.56NATO
01-10-2012, 10:24 AM
I never had the cash or desire for fancy aftermarket triggers so I just grabbed a mess of usgi parts (cheap and reliable) and started mixing and matching them in the piece till I had a buttery trigger. Never stone a usgi part as the hardening is very very thin and after you stone it and have a perfect let off it won't last long and the pull will be like gravel in a short period of time. Parts that mate well and some synthetic lube really can make a huge diff.

Texas Soldado
01-10-2012, 12:13 PM
I have had experience with USGI and Jewell.
USGI can fill just about any role well. If you are careful, you can save some cash by polishing the USGI (with a fine gunsmithing stone) and you can get a decent pull, don't take metal off, simply polish the high surface ridges . Do not change the angles, round off any edges or remove metal due to the shallow hardness.
The Jewell does have an awesome feel (or other after market version) for a hunting or target AR but if you don't have the cash to get one, the USGI works pretty well with some careful attention IMO.

The crappiest AR triggers in existance are the A2 with 3 shot burst, there is an additional sear for the burst ratchet and it really makes for an obscenely lousy pull with an extra helping of creep thrown in for no additional charge

5.56NATO
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
The A2 3rd trigger has a different pull for each of the three steps if fired semi. They're progressively worse.