PDA

View Full Version : OH - Employer Parking Lot Firearm Legislation On The Horizon

Gunreference1
08-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Employer Parking Lot Firearm Legislation On The Horizon

Written by Dave Milthaler
Monday, 09 August 2010 23:08

We need you help making calls today to make this bill successful. Please read this entire article for important action items at the end.

On July 30th 2010, State Representative Uecker from Ohio's 66th District was in attendance at Ohioans for Concealed Carry's annual family picnic “Party in the Park” at Liberty Township in Powell, Ohio.

At this event he informally announced a proposed Bill that will essentially grant Concealed Handgun Licensees as well as all law abiding citizens the right to keep their firearm in their locked vehicle while at work without having to fear the risk of termination from their employment.

YouTube Video Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5bSu_JBNSM

Most of you probably work in a Criminal Protection Zone (CPZ) and your employer prohibits you from having your otherwise legally-stored firearm stored in your vehicle. I’m also a victim of this scenario. A while back, my employer's new Policy Manual came out, and I had the fortune of “signing on the dotted line” that I have received the manualand will abide by the Company's policies.

Here's the kicker, my employer says that "they are responsible for my safety while at work". Well who is responsible for my safety before and afterward? The short answer is, I am. Yet they discriminate against my rights for self-preservation? How can I possibly defend myself if an unfortunate circumstance arises?

As it stands now, my employer has the right to terminate anyone’s employment if during a random search of vehicles they were to find an otherwise legally owned and stored handgun locked in the glove compartment of a locked car.

The following day I finished reading my NRA publication *America's First Freedom* where I saw an article stating that the Governor of our neighboring state of Indiana has signed into law House Enrolled Act No. 1065.

It states that an employer “may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that (1) prohibits; or (2) has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle”.

Since my employer does prohibit employees from being in possession of firearms while on company property, I feel that my employer is also responsible for my safety from the time I leave home until the time I return home to retrieve my firearm out of the safe. If something shoul d happen to me after work, such as being mugged at Wal-Mart or at the credit union, I have no means of defending myself.

On June 3rd, 2010 I sent out an email to all of the sponsors and cosponsors of H.B. 203. (H.B. 203 would allow a concealed carry licensee who is not consuming liquor and is not under the influence to carry a concealed handgun in a retail food establishment or food service operation with any class liquor permit issued for the location) Although most did not reply at all to my email, I did have the opportunity to personally talk with several state Representatives. Of these, Rep. Uecker was the most willing to help.

I spoke with my fellow Coordinator’s at OFCC where I am also a member and was given the OK to continue on as the representative of the organization in this matter since this is one of many legislative goals of the organization.

OFCC President, Jeff Garvas and I have had phone conferences with Rep. Uecker. With some input from the OFCC General Council, we were able to address some of the initial language concerns raised by the Legislative Services Commission. LSC is responsible for drafting all legislation at the request of a representative and dealing with the intricacies of making new laws properly interface with existing laws on the books.

Rep. Uecker has submitted a formal request for sponsorship of the Bill and hopefully it will be introduced as early as next week when it’s submitted to the Clerk for an official number. At that time we’ll be able to share the initial legislation publicly.

I encourage you to PLEASE contact your State Representative and give them the “heads up” on this proposed Bill. Also ask them to seek out Rep. Uecker so they may offer to co-sponsor this Bill. This is just one small step that will do so much to protect our rights.

This story just goes to show that *one person* can make a difference in a grassroots organization!

Finding your representative’s contact information takes less than a minute. First, go to http://www.legislature.state.oh.us and on the right hand side of the screen click “House” and “Zip Code”. Type in your zip code, include the +4 if you have some mail handy or know your zip+4, then click “Go” – the following page will have one or more contacts listed depending upon if your zip code spans more than one legislative district.

Click on each name, write them a short email, and follow up with a phone call. Simply state that you’re a constituent and you’d like Representative XYZ to contact Representative Uecker about his Parking Lot Firearms Bill being circulated this week. While you’re on the phone with them, remind them that you want the House to take up Senate Bill 239 and send it to the Governor promptly.

SB 239 - http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_SB_239

http://www.ohioccw.org/201008104889/employer-parking-lot-firearm-legislation-on-the-horizon.html

Steve

Gunreference1
09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Bill Aims To Allow Concealed Carry In Workplace Parking Lots

Submitted by cbaus on Wed, 09/01/2010 - 15:00

<object width="429" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=7b152ab4037d102ea6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=CMH&embed_player=1" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=7b152ab4037d102ea6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=CMH&embed_player=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="429" height="295"></embed></object>

HB 571 - http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_HB_571

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7415

Steve

Gunreference1
09-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Gun bill would expand owners’ rights

September 6, 2010 - By Erin E. O’Neill, eoneill@mariettatimes.com

On the heels of Senate Bill 239, a proposal which would allow concealed-carry permit holders to take a loaded gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol, another piece of legislation is in the works in the Ohio House which would give more rights to employees who are gun owners.

House Bill 571, which was introduced by Joe Uecker, 66th District Representative, and is co-sponsored by 30 other representatives, would amend section 2923.126 of the Ohio Revised Code. The law would not allow private employers to prohibit a concealed-carry permit holder from storing the employee's handgun in a locked motor vehicle on the employer's premises. Any current employer policy prohibiting such would have to be amended.

"I was approached by some of my constituents who had been dismissed from their job for exercising their Second Amendment rights," said Rep. Uecker in a phone conversation Friday.

"The question they had was, 'how can my employer dictate to me what I have in my car?'"

Ohio Senator Jimmy Stewart, R-Athens, said he is in support of the measure; however, he would like to hear more discussion on the matter.

"I would be inclined to support something similar," he said.

"After all, you can't be a permit holder if you're not a law-abiding citizen. But you have to balance the rights of gun owners with the rights of the property owners."

Stewart, a co-sponsor of the concealed-carry law when he was a representative in 2004, also supported Senate Bill 239, which passed in the Senate in May. It is not expected to be voted on by the House until they reconvene after the November election.

Debbie Phillips, the democratic 92nd District House Representative said that she is always interested in listening to the concerns of her constituents on matters of gun ownership, including this most recent piece of legislation.

"I've heard from individual gun owners on this issue and they've said that it's not like they're bringing it (the gun) into their workplace," she said.

"I think an individual homeowner or business owner has the right to determine how things should go on their own property. But there are also the rights of the gun owners and I think it's (concealed-carry) still a very grey area."

Uecker's office was approached by Ohioans for Concealed Carry and Buckeye Firearms Association to back this legislation, not only because of the fear of repercussions from their employers, but also because citizens were concerned about how to protect themselves in transit from home to work.

"Employees should not be discriminated against just because they choose to exercise their second amendment rights," Uecker said.

"This legislation will prevent intrusive company policies on personal freedoms and possible dismissal based on the merit that management does not agree with the individual's right."

The legislation does not have the support of the Ohio Chamber of Commerce, however.

"We recognize the second amendment rights but this is not a gun-rights issue," said Tony Seegers, Director of Labor and Human Resource Policy with the Chamber.

"This is a mandate that takes away the private property rights of the business owners. Right now this is an issue of two individual rights butting heads."

"Parking lot" legislation was first introduced in 2002 in Oklahoma when eight plant workers were fired for having guns in their vehicles. Since then, 13 states have passed the law.

http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/content.detail/id/529626/Gun-bill-would-expand--owners--rights.html?nav=5002

Steve