PDA

View Full Version : SBT-K47FK Collapsible Butt Stock w/ Shock Absorber for AK

Joeroe
10-08-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm new to ak's (rifles in general) and just purchased an Arsenal sgl31 ak74. I love the gun but don't care for the Warsaw length stock when in the standing position (way too short for me). I really wanted to keep it looking like a real Russian AK but now I think I'm ready to make this thing more comfortable and the stock mentioned in the title seems to fit the bill. I like that it has a cheek rest for when I add a high mounted scope in the future, it has a lifetime warranty, it uses bolts and adjustable nuts to fasten it to the rifle and the reviews are great. I'm not sure the recoil reducer is needed since there isn't much recoil with this rifle but I haven't read any reviews on the fixed extention so I'll go with the known good stock. I also plan on running a new mako pistol grip for even more comfort.

http://www.zahal.org/products/collapsible-butt-stock-shock-absorber-for-ak-47-74-polymer-version-plus-cp

Do any of you have first hand experience with this stock and if so what do you think? Do any of you know how much longer this stock will be than my current stock when it's in the fully extended position. I'm also wondering if any of the vendors that support this forum carry mako products.

Thanks

FunkyPertwee
10-09-2011, 02:11 AM
I like to follow the KISS principle, "Keep It Simple Stupid." I would go with the NATO length version of the same buttstock. It is 1.25 inches longer than the standard "Warsaw" length stock.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/furniture/kvar.html
http://www.dinzagarms.com/furniture/kvar/ak-020usp.jpg

Schuetzenman
10-09-2011, 02:20 AM
The adjustable comb looks weak and I'd think prone to snagging on stuff. Those short Warsaw length stocks seem short until you use the weapon wearing body armor or even a thick winter coat. Then they seem quite reasonable. That said the K-Var Nato length stocks IMO would also be the better alternative than that Space Gun stock you linked. AS Funky said, kiss it.

Joeroe
10-09-2011, 01:03 PM
That would be awesome but I'm not sure 1.25" will cut it and I can't find any butt pad extensions for that stock. I need to find someone local that has an AK with a NATO length stock. I have around 78" of reach and the Warsaw stock feels waaay too short. Then again I have no experience with rifles so maybe a different technique is in order.

Schuetzenman
10-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Length of Pull is measured on bending your arm at the elbow then making your hand look like it's holding a pistol grip with your finger curled like it's going to press a trigger. Then measure from the crook of your elbow to the pad of your finger. That is your ideal LOP. Too much stock length will make the weapon difficult to shoulder quickly and swing on target quickly. Shorter is actually better within reasonble amounts.

If you're Lurch, Warsa probably is too short. However if you're under 6'2 it probably isn't. I am 6'2" tall and I like the NATO length for summer time / warm weather thin shirt shooting. However, put on a heavy winter coat, thermal top, long sleeved shirt and suddenly it seems excessively long. Body armor makes it even worse. I drop back to the stock WARSAW length then and it shoulders much better.

FunkyPertwee
10-09-2011, 07:19 PM
1.25 inches is a lot when it comes to a buttstock.

Also, this should fit your stock, if need be. I use this same one on a PSL. http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Model-Combat-Butt-Pad/dp/B002TUSK06
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41F5MXDfqiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Joeroe
10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
If I'm measuring right my LOP is 17.5". I'm not sure where the crook of my elbo is so I measured from the tip of my elbo. I'm no lurch and my reach is actually 78" (my brain malfunctioned in my last post) so I'm guessing the NATO stock should work for me. If it still feels wrong I can get the extention FunkyPertwee linked.

I rolled up a rag and it was roughly 1" thick, stuck it between my shoulder and the stock and it felt a lot better.

I'm getting excited. I didn't want a tactical looking AK and if the NATO stock works out I won't have to go that route. I have nothing against a tactical AK I just don't want my first AK to have that look. I may go tactical on my 3rd AK.

Thanks guys

FunkyPertwee
10-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I just don't want my first AK to have that look. I may go tactical on my 3rd AK.

Planning two AKs ahead is a sure sign of addiction. I love it! :D

Enjoy your new rifle. You've got a serious SHTF rifle for sure.

Schuetzenman
10-10-2011, 06:24 AM
If I'm measuring right my LOP is 17.5". I'm not sure where the crook of my elbo is so I measured from the tip of my elbo. I'm no lurch and my reach is actually 78" (my brain malfunctioned in my last post) so I'm guessing the NATO stock should work for me. If it still feels wrong I can get the extention FunkyPertwee linked.

Thanks guys

Your arm bends only one way unless your from Mars. The crook of your arm is where it bends toward your bicep.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/LOP_measurment.jpg
Ok, you forced me to take a photo. Let me tell you, it isn't easy to do this and take the picture with only one hand. I normally measure 14 - 1/4" LOP like this.

Joeroe
10-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Planning two AKs ahead is a sure sign of addiction. I love it! :D

Enjoy your new rifle. You've got a serious SHTF rifle for sure.

Now it's official. I have been diagnosed by what I'm sure is an expert. It's gonna take awhile but I will have at least three eventually. I think a Yugo m70 under folder will be next but who knows, I have a lot of time to change my mind.

Joeroe
10-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Your arm bends only one way unless your from Mars. The crook of your arm is where it bends toward your bicep.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/LOP_measurment.jpg
Ok, you forced me to take a photo. Let me tell you, it isn't easy to do this and take the picture with only one hand. I normally measure 14 - 1/4" LOP like this.

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I have a 15" LOP so the NATO stock should work just fine.

Any of you guys have an AK cleaning kit? I just bought one from k-var and it gets stuck in the stock. Looks like the opening in the stock is a little to small so hopefully the NATO stock will work better. If not I'll have to break out a file and open it up a little. The other thing I don't like about k-var kit is how the slotted patch loop is made of metal not plastic. The cleaning rod guide (kit lid) only works with the muzzle brake on and it doesn't lock in. Is this the case with others? Any recommendations when it comes to an AK cleaning kit? This one will work for now but I'm afraid I'm gonna scratch the barrel with this thing.

Joeroe
10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Looks like the kit is either Russian or exactly like the Russian kit. All of the other kits I've been seeing have metal patch loops so I guess it's ok. I guess with the muzzle brake guide on it would be hard to go in crooked and scratch the barrel.

Palmetto.Vintovka
10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
In regards to the cleaning kit, I do use some of the parts from the traditional AK cleaning kit but when it comes to cleaning the barrel, I use an M16/M4 military cleaning rod and patches which works great. I use a synthetic bore brush as opposed to one with metal bristles to go easy on the chrome lining (not that I know if that is even necessary). By the way, odd that your AK tube kit doesn't fit inside the stock. Never had that problem.

In regards to planning your next AK, I own 7 (5 in 5.45 and 2 in 7.62) and not a one of them is an under-folder (AKMS variant) because when I fired one owned by a buddy, it was quite jarring to my jaw. I feel the same about the metal left side-folding stock on my AKS-74U (Krinkov) which is why I replaced it with an Arsenal plastic side folder. My AKS-74 metal stock isn't as bad to fire.

K-Var should have some NATO length buttstocks available. As always, don't forget about your 922r (aaarrrrrgggg) compliance in your planning. I have a couple of AK's for which I had to order US made magazine followers and floor plates as well as a flash hider/muzzle brake in order to be in compliance with the magazines that I prefer to use.

Schuetzenman
11-01-2011, 06:10 AM
The traditional AK cleaning kit is a PITA to work with. It does have some tools to it that make disassembly easier, like the slot in the side of the tube that is used to cam the gas tube latch open or closed. Pin punch to drive out extractor pin etc.

Frankly a good one piece cleaning rod like a Dewy is way easier to use in doing the bore. I also like an Otis cable cleaner system as it is very compact and can take care of mulitiple calibers. It is about the size of a tin of snuff.

On brushes, chrome is 72+ rockwell C scale in hardness. Barrel steel is 35 ish on the same scale. Bronze brushes are not going to hurt the bores. But it's always good to shove the brush all the way through the bore and out before pulling it back the opposite way. I would not use a stainless steel brush.