PDA

View Full Version : Mil-Spec vs. Commercial AR buffer tubes

Mark Ducati
08-12-2010, 08:09 AM
FYI, you cannot visually look at the tubes and tell the difference!!! I thought I could... traditionally, the Mil-Spec buffer tube is 1.15" in diameter and the commercial one is 1.17" in diameter... but visually, the Mil-Spec one on the end is square where the commercial one is slanted, easy way to visually tell... OR SO I THOUGHT!

I picked up an extra tube at a gunshow a long time ago, it was square on the end so I ordered a new milspec stock from MagPul... it doesn't fit, the tube is 1.17" and COMMERCIAL, even with a square end :(

So now I have to send it back and get a commercial one!

RJ Shooter
08-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes, the easiest way to tell is the butt of the tube. A Mil-Spec is straight up vertical. A Commercial tube has a slight angle, the bottom angling toward the rifle...

That's strange about the commercial square end. Never heard of that happening...

Partisan1983
08-12-2010, 08:25 AM
I thought the length was different too:gruebel:

BTW, why in the hell are there two different versions ???

Schuetzenman
08-13-2010, 06:31 AM
I knew about the diameter but had never heard a difference at the back. And as you have found out, not always the case. Why the two different types, hell if I have ever seen any justificiaction for it. I would say the commercial should be a tad stronger as it is thicker walled.

vit
08-13-2010, 07:12 AM
BTW, why in the hell are there two different versions ???

I would guess Colt started that shit.