PDA

View Full Version : US opposes Seoul’s bid to sell old rifles

Gunreference1
08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
US opposes Seoul’s bid to sell old rifles

08-12-2010 17:08

By Jung Sung-ki

The U.S. government opposed South Korea’s bid to sell thousands of aging U.S. combat rifles to American gun collectors, a senior government official said Thursday.

The ministry announced the plan last September as part of efforts to boost its defense budget, saying the export of the M1 Garand and carbine rifles would start by the end of 2009.

The U.S. administration put the brakes on the plan, citing “problems” that could be caused by the importation of the rifles.

The problems the U.S. government cited were somewhat ambiguous, said an official at the Ministry of National Defense on condition of anonymity.

“The U.S. insisted that imports of the aging rifles could cause problems such as firearm accidents. It was also worried the weapons could be smuggled to terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions,” the official told The Korea Times.

“We’re still looking into the reason why the U.S. administration is objecting to the sale of the rifles and seeking ways to resolve the problems raised,” he said.

Critics say the ministry pushed to sell the firearms in a hasty manner without enough consultation with the U.S. beforehand, as calls were growing to increase defense expenditure.

The Seoul government sought to sell the outdated U.S guns back to the United States.

A total of 86,000 M1 rifles and another 22,000 carbines were to be sold, as the weapons have been mothballed for about five decades in military warehouses. The per-unit price of the M1 rifle is about $220 and the carbine is more than $140, according to the ministry.

M1s were made first in 1926 and used in World War II and the 1954-1975 Vietnam War. The carbines were first produced in 1941 and used during the 1950-1953 Korean War.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/08/205_71329.html

Steve

AKTexas
08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I knew some bureaucrat would fubar this deal for us.

Partisan1983
08-12-2010, 09:50 AM
WTF ?!?!?!?

Seriously !!!!

Helen Keller
08-12-2010, 10:00 AM
“SOME DOUCHEBAG insisted that imports of the aging rifles could cause problems such as firearm accidents. It was also worried the weapons could be smuggled to terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions,” the official told The Korea Times.

Buncha Faggots .

SO who's THis "SPOKESPERSON" of the U.S. ??????????
Some overpaid piece of shit .

Gunreference1
08-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Why is Obama administration blocking import of surplus rifles?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/david-codrea

Steve

Polish Boy
08-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Whats sad is now they are probably just going to chop them

abpt1
08-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Whats sad is now they are probably just going to chop them
very sad indeed as bad as burning books imho .

Arnulf
08-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Why is Obama administration blocking import of surplus rifles?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/david-codrea

Steve

Because maobama hates gun totin Bible reading conservatives.

Partisan1983
08-18-2010, 12:19 PM
very sad indeed as bad as burning books imho .

If they do...it's even worse than that.

It's akin to killing every pregnet female on the planet.......

AKTexas
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
This sucks even more now.Recently received email from the CMP,no more Bavarian M1 carbines available but all good on the M1 Garands on order.

sevlex
08-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Wait two years and S Korea will have a friendlier administration.

El Jefe
08-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Wait two years and S Korea will have a friendlier administration.

So will we. :)

Gunreference1
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Washington Vetoes Korea's Re-Sale of Old Rifles to U.S.

The U.S. administration has vetoed the Korean government's plan to sell some 100,000 old M1 rifles used during the Korean War back to the United States. It also banned 850,000 M1 rifles already imported from Korea and other countries from being sold to civilians.

In order to save some W300 million (US$1=W1,181) on storing old weaponry a year, the Korean government decided to sell the 86,000 M1 Garands and 22,000 M1 Carbines to the U.S. and repeatedly asked Washington to approve the deal. The expected price was W130 billion in total, with one M1 Garand fetching US$220 and a M1 Carbine US$140. But the U.S. objected to the plan fearing that they could land in the hands of terrorists.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/img_dir/2010/09/03/2010090300946_0.jpg

A Korean government official said, "It's difficult to understand why the U.S. opposes the deal now, when we already shipped tens of thousands of these firearms to the U.S. in the early 1990s. We are trying to grasp the real underlying cause of this reversal through diplomatic channels." He added that because these firearms were originally made in the U.S., selling them back needs approval from Washington.

A U.S. State Department spokesman told Fox News on Wednesday, "The transfer of such a large number of weapons... could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes."

englishnews@chosun.com / Sep. 03, 2010 11:45 KST

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/09/03/2010090300985.html

Steve

Helen Keller
09-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Novembers' gonna be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunreference1
09-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Obama's backdoor gun ban

Government is blocking sale of historic weapons

By The Washington Times
6:29 p.m., Friday, September 3, 2010

President Obama is afraid of the M1 Garand, the U.S. rifle that helped win World War II, defeating Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. Administration officials earlier this year moved to block the government of South Korea from selling vintage U.S.-made M1 Garands and M1 carbines to eager stateside collectors.

The State Department confirmed to The Washington Times that it was considering "alternative options" to deal with the classic rifles. During the Clinton administration, such code words meant melting them down. The government in Seoul was told that this step was being taken for the protection of Americans. "The U.S. insisted that imports of the aging rifles could cause problems such as firearm accidents," a South Korean Ministry of National Defense official told the Korea Times last month.

It's hard to see how these M1 rifles could be considered risky when they already are offered for sale by the U.S. government through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. In fact, the federally sponsored CMP puts on summer camps that teach boys and girls how to handle the Garand properly and safely. In the past seven years, there hasn't been a single accident. Many of the participants go on to serve their country or take part in shooting sports at the collegiate and Olympic level.

It's more likely that the administration is seeking to win the admiration of gun grabbers. Mr. Obama has a history of supporting gun control as a state senator and U.S. senator, but he's been limited in his ability to implement this anti-gun agenda as president. Democratic members of Congress remember the federal assault-weapons ban as one of the lead issues motivating voters to turn Congress over to Republicans in 1994. Senators facing tight races in pro-gun states don't want to see a repeat of that midterm landslide. Therefore, the best way for Mr. Obama to appease the gun-grabbing fringe is to take actions that won't bring too much attention to what he's doing. As long as the destruction of these rifles stays under the public radar screen, he will have achieved his goal.

"In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised," Gen. George S. Patton famously said. Future generations, young and old, should have a chance to experience this piece of history at an affordable price. Congress should take action to reverse the State Department and allow these storied weapons to return home.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/sep/3/obamas-backdoor-gun-ban/

Steve

Gunreference1
09-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Senator Tester questions State Dept rejecting sale of antique guns

Posted: Sep 15, 2010 8:48 PM by Jon Tester press release
Updated: Sep 15, 2010 9:53 PM

Senator Jon Tester pushed the U.S. State Department to reconsider a decision denying the proposed sale of surplus firearms from South Korea to qualified buyers in the United States.

According to a news report, the State Department rejected South Korea's proposal to sell its surplus of American-made M1 Carbines and M1 Garand rifles to the U.S. over concerns that they "could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes."

Click the link below to rest the rest of the story.

http://www.kxlf.com/news/senator-tester-questions-state-dept-rejecting-sale-of-antique-guns/

Steve

Gunreference1
09-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Sunday, September 19th, 2010 at 8:30 am

What Obama’s Ban on the Importation of M1 Rifles From South Korea Means to Collectors

Michigan --(Ammoland.com)- The history of the M1 rifle is well documented, so there is no need to retell the gun’s famous history.

The truth is that it has become a highly sought after collectible. Over the past decade the prices of the M1 has increased at a pace greater than almost any other military firearm.

“It is the classic World War II weapon,” says Reefe Renforth, advanced collector and dealer of American militaria. “It hasn’t been just the last couple of years, it has been going strong for more than a decade.”

Renforth says the gun’s popularity is in part due to movies and video games.

“A lot of the interest came with the release of Saving Private Ryan and later with Band of Brothers. These created a core of ‘World War II addicts,’ and this is among the classic World War II weapons.”

Add in the fact that many of the younger generation, those who probably would have never paid much attention to World War II, learned about the exploits of the “greatest generation” from video games such as Medal of Honor and Call of Duty. The M1 remains the de facto U.S. infantry weapon in those games, and that inspired a whole new generation of collectors who were suddenly interested in the gun their grandfathers carried 60 years ago.

It is also a fact that the gun was the most widely distributed semi-automatic infantry weapon of the Second World War, and it remained in service through the Korean War and even saw use in the Vietnam War. Thus it would seem like there should be more than enough to go around. But with each conflict the M1 was sent off to service, and sadly like many soldiers not everyone returned home, at least not when the respective conflicts ended.

To read the rest of the story click the link beow.

http://www.ammoland.com/category/firearms/

Steve

Blacksmith
09-20-2010, 01:42 PM
A U.S. State Department spokesman told Fox News on Wednesday, "The transfer of such a large number of weapons... could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes."

But..But
I thought all their so called “common sense gun laws” where there to prevent that from happening???

I take that as an admission that the fascist bastards have no intent of disarming criminals and that their real intent is to disarm Americans.

Penguin
09-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I sure hope Korea doesn't get impatient and melt them down. That would be a cring shame. They have had them for this long, if they are smart they hold onto them for a little longer and wait for a better administration and then sell them to the US. I would love to see a boat load of these old rifles come back to the US and as a result see prices come down. I would like to pick up another M1 Garand. It is my favorite rifle to shoot but they are getting expensive.

aliceinchains
09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
But the U.S. objected to the plan fearing that they could land in the hands of terrorists.

What a lame excuse! And i am sick of hearing it. Hell if the terrorists want weapons they can go to shit hole Mexico and get them .

Penguin
09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
But the U.S. objected to the plan fearing that they could land in the hands of terrorists.

What a lame excuse! And i am sick of hearing it. Hell if the terrorists want weapons they can go to shit hole Mexico and get them .

No kidding. Last I looked they weren't exactly short of guns. They seem to have plenty of AK's why would they want to replace those with old WW2 weapons?

Gunreference1
09-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Steve D. Jones
Fort Smith Gun Rights Examiner

Boozman tells Hillary to repeal gun ban

September 23rd, 2010 5:03 am CT

Earlier this month, my counterpart David Codrea wrote about a recent decision by the Obama Administration to ban the import of old, surplus army rifles from South Korea. The administration, after previously approving the transaction, says the firearms could fall into the wrong hands. From Fox News:

"The transfer of such a large number of weapons -- 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines -- could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes," the spokesman told FoxNews.com.

The Korean Times reported:

“The U.S. insisted that imports of the aging rifles could cause problems such as firearm accidents. It was also worried the weapons could be smuggled to terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions,” the official told The Korea Times.

However, Congressmen John Boozman of Arkansas and Paul Broun of Georgia, in concert with a bipartisan group of 60 other legislators, are fighting to save the rifles.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-fort-smith/boozman-tells-hillary-to-repeal-gun-ban

Steve

Penguin
09-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I hope they sucssed. Perhaps we should all write congress and give them our two cents on the matter.

awp101
09-24-2010, 08:06 PM
But, but, but, don't you know all them thar guns they's a-gettin' in Meh-hico are a-comin' from Texas and them other, lesser, border states?:oh:

ltorlo64
09-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Even if terrorists would think of using a Garand or a Carbine I am sure the AK or its varients would/is their weapon of choice. Lots of bullets down range with no real training, just hit whoever is in the way. That is not the way it is with the Garand, only 8 rounds, you have to aim at what you want to hit.

Gunreference1
10-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Friday, October 1st, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Update on Korean M1 Rifle Story: H.R. 6240 Could Allow Rifles to Come Home

Michigan --(Ammoland.com)- While much of the mainstream media ignored the Korean M1 story, there is still hope for collectors that the rifles, which were blocked for importation to the United States, could still return home.

Rep. Cynthia Lummis (R-WY) and Rep. Joe Donnelly (D-IN) have sponsored a bill “to amend the Arms Export Control Act to provide that certain firearms listed as curios or relics may be imported into the United States by a licensed importer without obtaining authorization from the Department of State or the Department of Defense, and for other purposes.”

HR 6420 - http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:h6240:

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/01/bill-could-allow-korean-m1-rifles-to-come-home/

Steve

Penguin
10-02-2010, 10:53 AM
That is great news I am glad to hear it. Thanks.

Sidartha
10-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Especially if the vote waits till after the new republicans get sworn in in Jan.
:wootrock:

Gunreference1
10-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Murkowski signs letter questioning State Department gun ban

By: David Freddoso
Online Opinion Editor
10/06/10 4:15 PM EDT

South Korea is returning to our government the surplus M1 rifles used in the Korean War. The government originally planned to sell them to collectors, but our State Department has just blocked the plan, prompting the detailed letter below from a bipartisan group of senators.

Just as interesting as the controversy itself is the fact that Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, who lost her primary to a conservative in August and has mounted a write-in campaign, made sure to sign on.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/murkowski-signs-letter-questioning-state-department-gun-ban-104438483.html

Steve

Gunreference1
10-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Published: October 11, 2010 3:00 a.m.

Feds make Garand error on gun sales

Bob Aldridge

In 2009, the Obama administration approved the sale of about 850,000 M1 Garand rifles and carbines from the Republic of South Korea to gun collectors in America.

All such sales must be through federally licensed dealers to legally approved purchasers who pass the National Instant Check System (the Brady background check), just like all other firearm dealer sales.

This year, however, the State Department reversed itself and banned the sale, stating it could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20101011/EDIT05/310119997/1147/EDIT07

Steve

Penguin
10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the update.

aliceinchains
10-11-2010, 06:25 PM
WTF is up with the state department?

Penguin
10-11-2010, 07:49 PM
WTF is up with the state department?

It is run by comunists.

They don't like the idea of rifles that were used to beat them once being so close to them again.

gunnutz
10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
I sure hope Korea doesn't get impatient and melt them down. That would be a cring shame. They have had them for this long, if they are smart they hold onto them for a little longer and wait for a better administration and then sell them to the US. I would love to see a boat load of these old rifles come back to the US and as a result see prices come down. I would like to pick up another M1 Garand. It is my favorite rifle to shoot but they are getting expensive.
One would hope they're not that stupid! LOTS OF MONEY TO BE MADE!!!

Penguin
10-12-2010, 08:53 PM
One would hope they're not that stupid! LOTS OF MONEY TO BE MADE!!!

They probably are that dumb.

Now see if it was me I would let these be imported. The government needs money. Think of all the tax revenue they get if they come in. They probably make some money on an import fee. Plus what ever they make on the sales tax when the rifles are sold. Plus it keeps some one working or perhaps even creates new jobs. Which they get a cut of via the income tax. Plus I am sure they need to be shiped some where. That is more work plus they probably make money on the sales tax of what ever gas is used in their transport. Then there is vehicle regestration fees. yeah the government could make some money and provide jobs by just giving the OK.

The other thing I have said for years also is given the government needs money why not open the machine gun registry again? The government makes $200 every time the gun is trasnfered, not just the first time. And all they have to do is basicly shuffle some papers. Think of all the jobs that could creat. After no new machine guns for so long you better bet there is a market for machine guns. Heck think of the incress in ammo sales as people shoot more ammo. They make money on that sales tax, I really don't understand this. You think they would be encourageing the sale of guns to the law abiding.

Gunreference1
10-13-2010, 12:44 AM
David Codrea
Gun Rights Examiner

ATF: Surplus Korean firearms imports 'pose a threat to public safety in the U.S.

October 12th, 2010 11:05 am ET

In August, I asked "Why is Obama Administration blocking import of surplus rifles?," citing "problems" that were described as "ambiguous" being the reason a sale previously approved by the State Department had been halted.

The ambiguity has now been cleared up. A Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives advisory titled "Effect of Granting Retransfer Authority" shows us the rationale behind the move. As the Examiner.com "upgrade" no longer allows content providers to embed objects, I must refer you offsite for the complete document. But in the interests of discussing the report, I have also broken it up into numbered graphics (see slide show in left margin):

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/atf-surplus-korean-firearms-import-pose-a-threat-to-public-safety-the-u-s

Steve

Gunreference1
10-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 at 10:20 am

Congress to Clinton: Revisit Decision on M1 Rifles and M1 Carbines

Charlotte, NC --(Ammoland.com)- U.S. senators and representatives from both sides of the aisle are urging Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to revisit the State Department’s March 2010 decision disallowing the importation of M1 rifles and M1 carbines from South Korea.

In a letter to Secretary Clinton, Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) and 15 other senators state that the importation disapproval “amounts to no more than a backdoor gun ban that lacks any basis or justification under current Federal law and policy” and “violates law-abiding citizens’ constitutional right, protected under the Second Amendment, to purchase these firearms for legitimate purposes such as target shooting, hunting, collecting, and self-protection.”

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/12/revisit-decision-on-m1-rifles-and-m1-carbines/

Steve

Gunreference1
10-17-2010, 07:26 AM
CLINTON/OBAMA M1 RIFLE SCAM?

Daniel Gallington, Potomac Institute for Policy Studies
Published 10/17/2010 - 6:33 a.m. CST

This discussion will – I hope - get the attention of American shooters, competitive marksmen and military rifle collectors - young and old. Even if you’re not in this category, it should be of interest to concerned taxpayers - because the news is that South Korea (ROK) intends to sell off (and keep the proceeds from) several thousand old M1 military rifles. These are probably the same rifles we loaned them 50 odd years ago - and we still own them.

However, the Obama/Clinton STATE Department has reportedly denied the “import” of these rifles from Korea on the theory that they might “fall into the wrong hands” here in the US. The stories also report that the Korean plan was to sell them in bulk to importers who were then going to resell them in the US.

http://www.thecypresstimes.com/article/News/Opinion_Editorial/CLINTONOBAMA_M1_RIFLE_SCAM/34973

Steve

Gunreference1
10-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Chris Woodard
Tucson Gun Rights Examiner

Korean M1 Rifles and carbines. A scam of epic proportions.

October 23rd, 2010 11:15 am MT

The possible return of US made M1's has been a topic of some rather heated discussion. First, they were coming home as the US was going to purchase them. Then the Obama administration reversed it’s position and has banned the ‘import’ of these rifles into the US.

Next we have South Korea thinking of selling these rifles to a wholesaler outside the US. Now this is novel as the actual ownership of these rifles is open to question.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-tucson/korean-m1-rifles-and-carbines-a-scam-of-epic-proportions

Steve

Gunreference1
11-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Crapo wants to lift limits on importing collectible guns

By Brad Iverson-Long
November 19th, 2010

Idaho Sen. Mike CrapoIdaho Sen. Mike Crapo is backing a new plan supported by the National Rifle Association that would remove limits on importing antique or collectible weapons into the United States.

Read Crapo’s news release below.

http://www.idahoreporter.com/2010/crapo-wants-to-lift-limits-on-importing-collectible-guns/

Steve

Penguin
11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Cool I hope he gets some where.

HDR
11-20-2010, 05:40 PM
I knew some democrats would fubar this deal for us.

Fixed that for you.

raxar
11-20-2010, 05:52 PM
700,000 + m1 carbines? wonder if that would make them cheap enough for me to buy one?

Penguin
11-20-2010, 10:38 PM
That probably depends how quick they get dumped on the market. If I was the Koreans with that big of a pile I would sell them over a period of probably 5 years or more. If they sell them all in a year or two I would bet the price comes down quite a bit, unless the qualitiy of these are poor.

Gunreference1
02-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Rep. Denny Rehberg Sponsors Legislation to Allow Import of Legal M1 Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saturday, February 12, 2011
By: Kramer Phillips

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Montana’s Congressman, Denny Rehberg, sponsored legislation to compel the State Department to allow the importation of 857,470 lawful M1 semi-automatic rifles into the United States. The rifles were relics from the Korean War, which are being sold by South Korea in an effort to raise money for its military. These rifles would be made available to the public as well as to museums and historical societies.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/state_politics/montana/rep-denny-rehberg-sponsors-legislation-to-allow-import-of-legal-m1-semi-automatic-rifles/#

Steve

Penguin
02-12-2011, 01:04 PM
That is good news.

Gunreference1
02-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Friday, February 25th, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Lawmakers Offer Legislation To Allow Importation Of M1 Rifles

FAIRFAX, Va. --(Ammoland.com)- In 2009, the Obama administration approved the importation and sale of collectible, American-made M1 Garand rifles and M1 carbines from South Korea. However, the administration reversed its decision in March of last year, deciding instead to prevent these rifles – legal to make and purchase in the United States – from entering the country.

As we reported last October, U.S. Senators and Representatives from both sides of the aisle urged Secretary of State Clinton to revisit her department’s decision.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/02/25/lawmakers-offer-legislation-to-allow-importation-of-m1-rifles/

S 381 - http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.381:

HR 615 - http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.615:

Steve

Gunreference1
11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Backlash against Obama's rifle ban to target Congress

'These were made in America, by Americans, for Americans'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: November 26, 2011
8:35 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2011 WND

A stealth plan by the Obama administration to classify hundreds of thousands of workhorse rifles used by the U.S. military and public alike as dangerous (http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=214589) has prompted a grass-roots campaign to save the weapons, and a key U.S. senator has lent his voice to the effort.

"If we're going to reverse President Obama's Million Rifle Ban, gun owners have to turn the heat up on Congress now before it's too late," writes Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., in a campaign launched by National Association for Gun Rights (http://www.nationalgunrights.org/contact).

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=371401

Steve

Gunreference1
01-18-2012, 10:46 AM
01-18-2012 19:16

[Exclusive] US allows import of 86,000 M1 rifles from Korea

Firearms will be sold to Korean War veterans

By Lee Tae-hoon

Washington has agreed to allow the importation of M1 Garand rifles from Seoul, reversing its earlier decision to ban the shipping of the weapon used by South Korean and U.S. soldiers during the 1950-53 Korean War, a senior defense official said Wednesday.

“The U.S. government approved the imports of some 86,000 of the rifles,” said Lee Sun-chul, deputy defense minister for force and resources management.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/01/113_103154.html

Steve

O.S.O.K.
01-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Hey! That's great news - my Dad's a Korean war vet - I'm going to see if he can snag a carbine. Thanks!!!

So, is this through the CMP? How does he get one?

Helen Keller
01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
well, it's a start.

ATAK, Inc.
01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Only sold to Korean War veterans? The war never ended, and I served in-country for a year, making me a Korean War Veteran. If it's only for those who served between 1950-1953 that is horse shit!!! they are 70-80 years old and the number living is shrinking every day!

I've always wanted a carbine!

O.S.O.K.
01-18-2012, 11:43 AM
You can buy a carbine any time you want -they sell them through the CMP and you can find a list of them for sale on gun broker.

We will see what the price is... we know from the report what the prices are coming in - will be interesting to see what the CMP tacks on...

Penguin
01-18-2012, 06:18 PM
It is a good start. Are they going to all be sold though the CMP? And only to vetrens?

American Rage
01-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Hey! That's great news - my Dad's a Korean war vet - I'm going to see if he can snag a carbine. Thanks!!!

So, is this through the CMP? How does he get one?

You misunderstand. They are allowing 86000 M1 Garands.

There will be NO M1 carbines.

Unless we throw the bums out in November

L1A1Rocker
01-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Only sold to Korean War veterans? The war never ended, and I served in-country for a year, making me a Korean War Veteran. If it's only for those who served between 1950-1953 that is horse shit!!! they are 70-80 years old and the number living is shrinking every day!

I've always wanted a carbine!

THat's very interesting. I wonder if my dad would count. He served during that time but never left the US.

El Duce
01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
My FIL would qualify. I wonder if I could talk him into multiple purchases?

Gunreference1
02-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Obama continues ban on importation of 600,000 historical, collectible M1 Carbine rifles; Fate of 86,000 Garands still in doubt

Submitted by cbaus on Tue, 01/31/2012 - 07:00.
by Chad D. Baus

The Korea Times is reporting that while it has will allow 86,000 historical M1 Garand rifles to be imported from South Korea, the Obama administration continues to block the importation of some 600,000 M1 Carbines because "they come with a magazine that can carry multiple rounds."

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8183

Steve

Richard Simmons
02-01-2012, 09:46 AM
They aren't going to be available ONLY to Korean War vets. The article is just postulating that Korean vets are a potential market for them due to the 62nd anniversary of that war. My guess is that SARCO, Century or some other importer will get a big chunk of them and they will filter down through their retail sales or the general retail market.

Gunreference1
04-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Korea to Begin Broker’s Auction of 84,417 M1 Rifles Destined for USA

Posted on April 20, 2012 by Ammoland

By Christopher E. Hill

USA --(Ammoland.com)- 86,000 U.S.-made M1 Garand rifles are schedualed for auction and maybe possibly be coming back to the United States from the Republic of Korea (South Korea) to be sold to Americans (June 25).

While the deal is still on - there’s some good news and bad news.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/20/korea-to-begin-brokers-auction-of-84417-m1-rifles-destined-for-usa/#axzz1sdtB9Iyj

Steve

raxar
04-20-2012, 10:43 PM
the bad news is that they'll show up just in time for obamania 2.0

CAJUN_CHOOTER
04-22-2012, 08:08 AM
gee whiz... obama & his cronie Holder sold hundreds of auto rifles to Mexico already
why does obama want to ban these...

answer: he wants to ban all firearms in the U.S.

Gunreference1
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Tester Says Antique Gun Re-Importation Moving Forward

Posted on June 5, 2012 by Ammoland

Senator led push to allow American-made firearms abroad to be re-sold to U.S. collectors.

U.S. SENATE --(Ammoland.com)- More Montana gun collectors will soon be able to own an important piece of firearms’ history, Senator Jon Tester announced today.

The M1 Garand rifle is an American-made firearm used by U.S. forces in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. South Korea has been trying to sell up to 87,000 surplus M1s back to the United States, but the State Department initially blocked re-importation of the firearms over safety concerns.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/06/05/tester-says-antique-gun-re-importation-moving-forward/#axzz1wxoqtSEF

Steve

imanaknut
06-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I would love to ban federal employees (elected or otherwise) who block things in violation of our constitution.

Safety concerns, don't even get me started.

Gunreference1
06-29-2012, 07:05 PM
What Next For Auctioned-Off South Korean M1 Garand Rifles?

Posted on June 29, 2012 by Ammoland

USA --(Ammoland.com)- Here’s a quick update on those tens of thousands of U.S.-made M1 Garand rifles that were supposedly coming back to the United States from the Republic of Korea (South Korea) to be sold to American Korean War veterans and their families in time for the 62nd anniversary of the start of Korean War.

Back on April 17, I mentioned an article (http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/20/korea-to-begin-brokers-auction-of-84417-m1-rifles-destined-for-usa/) by Lee Tae-hoon on The Korea Times (South Korea) that said 84,417 Korean War-vintage M1 Garand rifles had been listed on the state-run Internet auction site Onbid.go.kr in an attempt to find a pair of Korean and American brokers to market the old rifle.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/06/29/what-next-for-auctioned-off-south-korean-m1-garand-rifles/#axzz1zEKSuEvc

Steve

Penguin
06-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks for keeping up on this.