PDA

View Full Version : Working on my PAP

Highpower
10-11-2011, 07:31 AM
I bought this PAP a month or so ago. I was very impressed with the way it was made, it feels like a very solid rifle. The looks however, left a lot to be desired.

Never one to let the cost of modifications exceeding the value of something stop me. I decided to change the looks a bit.

I have been collecting US military firearms for years and I love the look of walnut on a firearm, so I bought a set of stocks from Ironwood in black walnut. I also replaced the fire control group with a Tapco double hook trigger set to keep it 922r compliant.

Finally, I had a friend of mine machine out the mag well to accept double stack mags.

I bought it from a guy at work w/750 rounds of ammo for $500 and have another $300+ into it, but I don't really care. I could have maybe built one on a kit for a bit less, but this a matching number gun that was built at the factory that made them for the Yugoslavian military.

Before:
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-Sj9MLPJ/0/L/PAP1-L.jpg

After:
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-RqbfZB8/0/XL/IMG0652-XL.jpg

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-b96DPKx/0/XL/IMG0653-XL.jpg

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-CDpp9tp/0/XL/IMG0654-XL.jpg

With an East German cleaning kit:
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-97BSvxz/0/XL/IMG0655-XL.jpg

I still have to refine the small filler piece that I made to fit in the angled area behind the lower part of the back of the receiver. I was a bit too enthusiastic with a file while trying to fit it and then ran out of gas for my TIG welder so haven't been able to weld it up and take another stab at shaping it for a better fit.

Other than that I am extremely happy with it

Edited to post new pics...I worked on that $#@&^ filler piece today. I 'm pretty sure I have more time in it than all the rest of the project combined.

PS, I decided to see if I liked the tacticool look, so I installed a ghost ring type sight. Very inexpensive from Big Five ($49.95) and so far I like the way it shows up on target. I'll take it out later this week and sight it in and see if it holds zero.
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-fLc8nxp/0/XL/IMG0657-XL.jpg

Full Otto
10-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Beautiful work, nice job on the filler piece but yeah that needs a little smoothing out. Not that I could do it but it really catches the eye on an otherwise nice looking rifle.
Did you come across a narrow bolt on that? If so does it feed smoothly?

Well done

Schuetzenman
10-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Well what do you know you really can polish a turd! :D But seriously, a marvelous job there to take a hideous AK and making it look 1st Rate!

Highpower
10-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Beautiful work, nice job on the filler piece but yeah that needs a little smoothing out. Not that I could do it but it really catches the eye on an otherwise nice looking rifle.
Did you come across a narrow bolt on that? If so does it feed smoothly?

Well done

I bought what was advertised as a standard Yugo bolt. I checked it when I installed it and it headspaced correctly so it was good to go.

rahatlakhoom
10-13-2011, 08:16 PM
That is a real nice restoration.
:thumbsup:

Full Otto
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I bought what was advertised as a standard Yugo bolt. I checked it when I installed it and it headspaced correctly so it was good to go.

That's awesome.
IN THEIR FACE man way to go

Mark Ducati
10-13-2011, 08:25 PM
WOW! I actually love the new look with the wood, very nice job.

Is that stock a little on the short side? It kind of reminds me of the LEO "stubby-club" stocks for the AR15...

The first photo reminds me of the rifle from the planet of the apes...

Way to resurrect that rifle!

Highpower
10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
WOW! I actually love the new look with the wood, very nice job.

Is that stock a little on the short side? It kind of reminds me of the LEO "stubby-club" stocks for the AR15...

The first photo reminds me of the rifle from the planet of the apes...

Way to resurrect that rifle!

The wood was advertised as being a standard configuration Yugo wood set. Many years ago I had a Chinese type 56 and that had a really short stock, so the European spec furniture seems quite a bit longer in comparison.

The lesson to be learned here is you just have to look below the surface to see what can be done with these Zastava's. I have looked at many AK's and I can tell you from my personal observation that these are made as well as any of the better AK variants. Remember, as I said in my first post, they are made by the same factory that made them for the Yugoslavian military. They are extremely well made, and while they do take some work to take the ugly off of them, in the end it is worth it.

rahatlakhoom
10-13-2011, 09:25 PM
The Yugo, MK's favorite AK variant.
Zastava manufacturing does stand up, or exceed other com-block
types. More robust, and I would venture to say more accurate overall in
design. I have and early M64 which shoots marvelously.

greeenie
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
OK, I was informed to contact u which bolt u used to install the double stack magazine in your zastava akm. Also wanted to say very nice work on the stock, also wondering where u got the stock for it, id really like to convert to a more traditional style stock if possible.

Thanks in advance, greeenie

Tried to pm u, but don't have 10 posts yet.

Highpower
11-09-2011, 10:10 PM
OK, I was informed to contact u which bolt u used to install the double stack magazine in your zastava akm. Also wanted to say very nice work on the stock, also wondering where u got the stock for it, id really like to convert to a more traditional style stock if possible.

Thanks in advance, greeenie

Tried to pm u, but don't have 10 posts yet.

The stock set is from Ironwood Designs, expensive, but worth it.

I bought a bolt from Apex that was advertised as a Yugo. I believe that any European would fit, but it must be checked for headspace

In my case it fit and headspaced OK, but, let me repeat, be sure and check the headspace before you fire any live ammo. Just for the hell of it I tried the stock bolt with a double stack magazine. It would fail to feed and jam about half the time, so the new bolt is a requirement for proper functioning.

If you have any other questions please ask and I will try to help. Good luck with your project.

greeenie
11-10-2011, 08:45 AM
The stock set is from Ironwood Designs, expensive, but worth it.

I bought a bolt from Apex that was advertised as a Yugo. I believe that any European would fit, but it must be checked for headspace

In my case it fit and headspaced OK, but, let me repeat, be sure and check the headspace before you fire any live ammo. Just for the hell of it I tried the stock bolt with a double stack magazine. It would fail to feed and jam about half the time, so the new bolt is a requirement for proper functioning.

If you have any other questions please ask and I will try to help. Good luck with your project.

awesome man, thanks so much for the response.

ill make sure and double check headspce, dont want any ruptured cases. looks like in a few weeks ill be doing my conversion, and when i do u think a DIY would be warranted? with pictures of course

Highpower
11-10-2011, 09:05 AM
No problem. When you machine out the mag well be sure to check the feed ramp. There is a lip on it which has to be removed. The lip is there because the portion of the stock single stack bolt that strips the cartridge from the magazine protrudes about .060 less than the double stack bolt. The lip is there to compensate for the difference. If you don't remove it the new bolt will hit it and won't go into battery.

It's not really all that complicated and when you start on the conversion you will see what I am talking about.

greeenie
11-10-2011, 09:08 AM
This is the first time since i have owned this gun that i have had serious information about it towards converting it. Really want to say thanks again and really good looking result u have there. ill make sure and look out for the lip ur talking about, ill check it out tonight.

Highpower
11-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Decided that tacticool looks stupid on an AK (or any rifle for that matter). so I changed the top cover out for a Bulgarian cover. I had to cut about 1" off of the front and make the clearance cuts for the front trunnion and for the push button thingie at the back of the cover.

I like the look a lot better
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-MtCdnr6/0/XL/IMG0691-XL.jpg

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-Nv6DQ8p/0/XL/IMG0694-XL.jpg

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-RkkhkhK/0/XL/IMG0695-XL.jpg

Next up: I am going to thread the muzzle and install a slant brake as soon as the die and guide arrive. Also I have a RPK windage adjustable rear sight on the way.

UPDATE

Just got the muzzle brake die and guide in today so I decided to go ahead and thread the barrel. I must say that it now looks complete and I am finished with it. The RPK rear sight came in also, but it does require some fitting as it is longer and thicker. Took about an hour or so to make it fit.

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-GLZL5g3/0/XL/IMG0711-XL.jpg
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-zpqDnxh/0/XL/IMG0709-XL.jpg

So I am now done with it and I really can't think of any other changes that I want to do to it.

Final Pictures:
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-cNdwBR6/0/XL/IMG0713-XL.jpg
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-Sx9zxs5/0/XL/IMG0714-XL.jpg
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-fZBWzNc/0/XL/IMG0712-XL.jpg

greeenie
11-11-2011, 09:53 AM
def keep the thread updated and lmk what it takes to thread the barrel for muzzle brake, ur doing everything i aspire to do to mine. thanks so much for sharing man, very informative

greeenie
11-11-2011, 03:44 PM
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/835

is this the bolt u bought?

Highpower
11-11-2011, 03:53 PM
That's the one.

greeenie
11-11-2011, 03:58 PM
beautiful, thanks much

Infidel
12-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Hey thanks for the info on the conversion. I bought the Zastava and it shoots great. I thought I'd convert it to a double stack. I started on mine about 3 months ago. Yeah, I know what's my hurry? I carved out the mag-well and it wouldn't feed right. Still worked with the singles and the project stalled. I suspected that I had to change the bolt and found Apex about a week ago. Your thread will make it easier, for those who haven't fired up the Dremel yet, to convert their Zastavas.
I had a little problem with the ghost ring on mine because the cover would wobble a little. Makes it rough to get a zero. On these guns, iron seems like the foolproof sight. Even if your eyes ain't what they used to be. I can still outshoot my 17 y.o. grandson.

Gunsmoke
12-06-2011, 05:17 PM
You've gone from semi serb to a full out serb. :losing-it:

Infidel
12-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Finally got my other parts and I see what you are talking about with removing the shelf on the trunnion. Becomes quite obvious when you drop the other bolt in, huh?
Added the Tapco double hook. Uh Oh Tapco mags don't fit! Back to the dremel and all is well. Feeds great. Now that I have one done, I wouldn't hesitate to do another. If you haven't done this to yours yet, go for it.

Highpower
12-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Like I said, it's really not that hard. Unfortunately These Zastavas get overlooked because of the single stack magazine and the initial look of them. While it does take a bit of work to "fix" them, they are so well made otherwise that I think their are worth it.

BTW, Now that I am finished with it, I don't need the muzzle thread die and guide any more. Used once, still in perfect shape $50 includes delivery in the US.

StojanMan
12-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Highpower - What did you use to get that nice dark color on your furniture? Oil or stain and what brand/kind? I would PM you but I don't have enough posts yet. Awsome color!

Highpower
12-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I used a stain that I bought from Chestnut Ridge Supply called "Dark Walnut Military Stock Stain". It is an alcohol-based stain and, unlike oil-based stains, the more you put on, the darker it gets. After staining I applied about five coats of tung oil, rubbing it with 0000 steel wool between coats.

slamd64
12-26-2011, 02:03 AM
when opening up the mag well there are two rivits on the front hook side if the mag well, Do you have to grind on those to make a double stack fit. how about a pic of the mag well after it has been opened up. Thanks guys just picked mine up and working up the courage to get the dremel.

Highpower
12-26-2011, 06:53 PM
when opening up the mag well there are two rivits on the front hook side if the mag well, Do you have to grind on those to make a double stack fit. how about a pic of the mag well after it has been opened up. Thanks guys just picked mine up and working up the courage to get the dremel.

I'll try to take a pic of that area soon and post it. The machining necessary to open the trunnion will remove the the head of the rivets. What I did was to TIG weld the rivet to the inside of the trunnion after I finished removing the necessary metal. I have seen another that a slot was machined on the inside where the rivet goes through, then a shortened rivet was peened in place. I think the way I did it was somewhat easier and so far it has held up just fine.

slamd64
12-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Thankyou, that will help alot. after I see some picks my dremel and welder will come out haha. thanks alot for all the help.

Highpower
12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Okay, here is a picture of the mag well and the weld on the rivet. This is a fusion weld where you simply melt the metal together using no filler rod.
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-dXNhMQn/0/X2/IMG0852-X2.jpg

slamd64
12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
That looks great, I ordered the bolt you had posted earlyer and I will start cutting tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to post it up for me.

skydve76
02-04-2012, 11:03 AM
whats the part # for the ironwood stocks, there are a lot of stocks up there.

sorry noob herr

Highpower
02-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Sorry I don't remember the part # of the stocks and I can't find the receipt. If I remember correctly (and I just looked on the web site), I just ordered the four piece set for a M70.

Hope this helps.

l921428x
02-05-2012, 01:22 AM
May I ask what a PAP is?

Highpower
02-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I couldn't find anything that would say exactly what PAP translates out to. But here's the link:
Click on English on the upper right and then on hunting and sporting arms, then to LKP PAP
http://www.zastava-arms.rs/

l921428x
02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Wonder how much they want for there full autos

greeenie
02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Any ideas where to find the bolt now? Cannot find it anymore

Highpower
02-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I would think that any European bolt would fit. Try to find one from a Russian, German, Romanian etc gun.

jeepin
02-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Love your restoration. I am the proud owner of M70 underfolder. Really considering doing a PAP conversion or a kit build....your work has me leaning towards the PAP!
Awesome!

achwan86
02-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Nice looking Zastava. I just was curious seems like you did the double stack conversion to it? how reliable is it, i really want to do it to mine but not sure.

wardpoet
02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Can anyone recommend a good rail system...I want to put a front grip on mine.

Highpower
02-14-2012, 09:05 PM
So far it has been 100% reliable. I believe the folks that have had issues with feeding didn't replace the single stack type bolt with a double stack one.

The bolt on the right is a standard M70 bolt used with a double stack magazine. Note the lug on the bottom is wider than the lug on the bolt on the left. If you fit that lug into the top of a magazine it is the width of the opening.

The bolt on the left is the bolt that comes on the standard single stack PAP and the lug is the width of the SS magazine opening. In addition, the lug is about .060in. shorter on the left hand bolt. Combined, these two factors do not allow the stock PAP bolt to function reliably with double stack magazines.
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-N5fXbwL/0/L/IMG0913-L.jpg

achwan86
02-14-2012, 10:06 PM
So far it has been 100% reliable. I believe the folks that have had issues with feeding didn't replace the single stack type bolt with a double stack one.

The bolt on the right is a standard M70 bolt used with a double stack magazine. Note the lug on the bottom is wider than the lug on the bolt on the left. If you fit that lug into the top of a magazine it is the width of the opening.

The bolt on the left is the bolt that comes on the standard single stack PAP and the lug is the width of the SS magazine opening. In addition, the lug is about .060in. shorter on the left hand bolt. Combined, these two factors do not allow the stock PAP bolt to function reliably with double stack magazines.

Great thanks for that short write up. Now i feel a bit more confident in getting this done. I just need to find a gunsmith and ill be good to go then.

achwan86
02-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Where can you get a M70 bolt, i looked on apexgunparts.com and nothing. The carrier shouldnt need replacing correct?

greeenie
02-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Where can you get a M70 bolt, i looked on apexgunparts.com and nothing. The carrier shouldnt need replacing correct?

Legion has one for 65. Seems a bit steep, there are a few on gunbroker for 40 Ish

High power is there a chance I could see the inside of ur magwell?

achwan86
02-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Legion has one for 65. Seems a bit steep, there are a few on gunbroker for 40 Ish

THanks, i looked but gunbroker has them for like 150 too much. And Legion dont have any in stock.

Tx Dogblaster
02-15-2012, 03:45 PM
That's a damn sexy looking rifle!!!:thumbsup:

Highpower
02-15-2012, 07:50 PM

See post 29

greeenie
02-15-2012, 08:37 PM
missed that part, thanks again

skydve76
02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I found the IR wood set, and can get it in walnut. The only thing I will be missing is that filler piece that you custom made. Do you know if the butt will still function ok with the filler while I figure out how I will make one? Will it just bolt on and have a gap?

Highpower
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I found the IR wood set, and can get it in walnut. The only thing I will be missing is that filler piece that you custom made. Do you know if the butt will still function ok with the filler while I figure out how I will make one? Will it just bolt on and have a gap?

Yes it will work just fine. The gap filler adds no strength to the attachment point. You might try to talk to Matt and see if he can make a stock with the wood cut to match the shape of the rear trunnion.

greeenie
02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
High power u mentioned having die and tat for threading Ak barrel, would u happen to.rent it out?

maxxram
02-20-2012, 10:16 AM

I used a bolt from an M72 in my conversion.
I got it here
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_102/products_id/1620

hazmat
02-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks a lot, Highpower! Due to this thread, I went and bought me one last night ($450 OTD). :D

Although I'm planning on doing something a little different with mine. I've been kicking this idea around for a couple of months (ever since I first caught this thread, in other words) so I picked up a standard M70 front trunion off GB. That way, I don't have to mill out the stock one. I can just remove the old one and replace it with the other and do the other internal mods with a little more space to work.

I do have one question for you, how did you fabricate the filler piece on the back of rifle? Could you post up some pics of that area for a better look-see?

Highpower
02-23-2012, 07:32 AM
High power u mentioned having die and tat for threading Ak barrel, would u happen to.rent it out?

I really don't want to rent it, but I will make you a heck of a deal if you want to buy it.

Highpower
02-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks a lot, Highpower! Due to this thread, I went and bought me one last night ($450 OTD). :D

Although I'm planning on doing something a little different with mine. I've been kicking this idea around for a couple of months (ever since I first caught this thread, in other words) so I picked up a standard M70 front trunion off GB. That way, I don't have to mill out the stock one. I can just remove the old one and replace it with the other and do the other internal mods with a little more space to work.

I do have one question for you, how did you fabricate the filler piece on the back of rifle? Could you post up some pics of that area for a better look-see?

This is the best picture I have right now. This version is still quite crude as I have been busy with setting up my motorcycle for my trip to Alaska this summer and just haven't had the time to redo it. I took a piece of 1/8" thick flat stock I had laying around and cut it to fit the area of the stock that wasn't covered by the receiver. As I mentioned earlier, the grip holds it in place.

You could also use some scrap walnut, glue it to the stock and shape it to fit. I think that it would look pretty good if done right.

If I wanted to refinish the receiver I would weld it in place. After refinishing you wouldn't be able to tell it was there.
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-JjxDk4P/0/XL/cloeup-XL.jpg

greeenie
02-23-2012, 09:00 AM
id love to buy the tat, handle and threader, lmk price please

hazmat
02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Follow up question. Rail on the top cover. Looking everything over, it looks to be riveted in place. Did you drill it out?

Highpower
02-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Follow up question. Rail on the top cover. Looking everything over, it looks to be riveted in place. Did you drill it out?

I modified a Bulgarian cover. You have to remove about 3/4" from the front and make clearance cuts for the front trunnion on the left side and for the take down pin in the rear. It took me about 20 minuets to do the mods.

hazmat
02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Cool, thanks!

Kevlar
02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Love my PAP, but the HiCap has to happen. I don't trust myself to open the mag well, but I'll find a good smith to do. If I followed this thread correctly that and a new M70 bolt should do it right? Thanks all!

hazmat
02-26-2012, 11:48 PM
There are some tabs inside the mag well that will have to be removed as well.

hazmat
03-27-2012, 10:41 PM
One more from the peanut gallery. Got mine down to the barreled action tonite. I've got to admit, that grip screw was a cat of a different breed. How did you make that mod?

Highpower
03-28-2012, 07:07 PM
One more from the peanut gallery. Got mine down to the barreled action tonite. I've got to admit, that grip screw was a cat of a different breed. How did you make that mod?

On mine the original threaded lug was still there. All I had to do was to screw the correct grip screw in. I believe I used a Bulgarian screw, but I really don't remember.

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-KCHctvQ/0/XL/IMG0955-XL.jpg

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-zz7rMXF/0/XL/IMG0954-XL.jpg

maxxram
03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
On mine the original threaded lug was still there. All I had to do was to screw the correct grip screw in. I believe I used a Bulgarian screw, but I really don't remember.

I used the Hogue AK grip and the screw that came with the grip was a perfect fit for the threaded lug.

hazmat
03-29-2012, 10:37 PM
I was going to say mine didn't have threads, but upon further review, I'm a dumbass who can't see very well. When I first examined it, there didn't appear to be any threads.

I see now it was the light in my garage and the heavy dose of oil in the lug (not to mention eyes that should be recalibrated).

l921428x
03-30-2012, 04:31 AM
not to be a dick, but if there are no threads, duct tape, glue, well wishes. hmmm

Highpower
05-18-2013, 09:51 PM
I know this post will kind of make this a Zombie thread (you know, coming back from the dead,) but I was bored the other day and decided to remove the metal filler piece that I was never really happy with. Instead I added a small piece of walnut to the stock. I am not too sure that I like this any better, but right now I am going to leave it alone until I can come up with something better.

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Firearms/AK/i-ws7RxHJ/0/XL/IMG_1963-XL.jpg
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Firearms/AK/i-HbHVHbg/0/XL/IMG_1964-XL.jpg

hazmat
05-19-2013, 10:12 PM
I liked the other look better, but then again, I'm kinda biased that way.

l921428x
05-23-2013, 10:10 AM
I disagree Hazmat. That is a great look, beautiful! Unique.

hazmat
06-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Reason I say that is I finally got mine done.

From this
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/AK%20Stuff/Zastava_PAP-500x500.jpg

To this:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/AK%20Stuff/IMG_20120926_182450.jpg

To this:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/AK%20Stuff/IMG_20121106_175231.jpg

To this:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/AK%20Stuff/IMG_20130103_215230.jpg

Wood stockset is from a Mitchell rifle I picked up off GB.

Highpower
06-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Your rifle looks great. I am still on the fence whether to put the metal piece back in or to leave the wood.

FunkyPertwee
06-14-2013, 08:55 AM
I think a metal filler looks more 'normal'.

hazmat
06-14-2013, 09:02 PM
I think a metal filler looks more 'normal'.

+1!

Kevlar
06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Love my PAP, but don't trust myself to convert it so I just bought more ss mags. I thought about buying a side folding stock, pistol grip, and muz break for it, but I'm not sure it would be 922 compliant. If I stay with the 10 rnd ss config can I legally install that stuff?

l921428x
06-27-2013, 12:34 AM
its 922 now just buy american parts, stupid .gov stuff i know. wax on/wax off. oh and the guys here would say don't convert......buy ANOTHER.:love4:

Kevlar
06-27-2013, 11:19 AM
its 922 now just buy american parts, stupid .gov stuff i know. wax on/wax off. oh and the guys here would say don't convert......buy ANOTHER.:love4:

Yeah, that website doesn't work...I willtry it again without all the spaces (sarcasm implied). :laugh:
I'm not going to convert it, but thought about getting a different stock set etc...
I may get another one, but should probably look to sell this one first...doen't help that the prices are sky high, but all in good time I suppose.

jmkayatin
07-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Hello - Newb here - I am taking the leap into AK ownership (actually, tactical rifle ownership as well, since up until now my family have stayed with civilian firearms for hunting) and after much consideration I am going to try and obtain one of these rifles as my first project. Based on feedback here and other places on the 'Net, this Yugoslavian rifle has been favorably received by the public (the comments that I've read over the past few weeks have all mentioned the quality of the weapon as being very good) so I think I am making the right decision.
I have several hunting rifles in .308 so buying this rifle will just be yet another reason to begin that hand loading hobby I keep meaning to start. Dad had an M14 built by a fellow former Marine in Arkansas to match what he carried in Vietnam so between that battle rifle and this Yugoslavian project gun I can now justify to my wife the price of a Dillon Press and all the the other equipment needed to craft my own loads for these rifles.