PDA

View Full Version : Closing in on buying my first AK!

heremy8
10-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Greetings All Knowing Ones!

I'm new to this site, having been lurking the forums for the last week I've been reading up on the amazing amount of variations in Ak's. I will be buying an ak at the Tulsa gun show November 12th or from a local dealer my dad knows. Seeing as how my dad won't sell me one of his multiple ak's he owns :swear: I'm going to have to take the plunge and worrisome task of buying an ak without very much knowledge about them at all.

Of course my dad has collected guns his whole life and has an assortment of ak books to read up on I just don't really know if they'll give me the information I need on who makes a good quality ak and with which type to go with. Any ideas?

imanaknut
10-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Sometimes the best quality AK variant is the one you can afford.

If you want quality and can afford them, the pre-Bush1-ban Chinese were great rifles, especially the Poly Tech models. Unfortunately because of Bush1 banning the rifles because their evil looks would make an honest person become a criminal, he banned the looks, but then clinton that followed banned them in their entirety. The limit on numbers is what is causing the price to go into that "you godda be kidding" region.

Many people like the Egyptian Maadi because they were built on Russian machinery. All well and good it the Egyptians had maintained the quality of the Russian rifles. The ARM model is the better of the bunch, with the RML a close second.

There were a couple of pre- and post-ban models from Europe, but they too are getting expensive. Both Hungarian and Bulgarian rifles are nice.

If you like light weight and don't mind a wire stock, the AMD-65 is a great rifle at usually nice prices. Some people don't like the stock because they can't "weld" their cheek to it, but I learned a long time ago how to shoot a rifle "off cheek" so the AMD-65 doesn't bother me and has become one of my favorite shooters.

In the more common of the imports, the Romanians sent in a bunch of different models, but unfortunately with ATF trashing our constitution by using import restrictions, most of them are no longer imported and those prices are getting higher.

Of the earlier Romanians, the SAR series was and remains the only true military issue AK variant ever imported for sale to those of us who have rights that shall not be infringed. Many people complained about the looks of the SAR series not realizing that as I said, they were true mil-spec rifles and the Romanians weren't as particular as we Americans. Want looks get a Weatherby. Want function, the SAR-1 was perfect.

ATF didn't like it and banned the SARs too leaving us with the poor WASR 10 and it's million variations as the standard bearer from the Romanians. Those rifles enter the country with ATF approved single stack mags, and once in the importer or distributer opens up the mag well to allow the use of standard AK mags.

If you run into WASRs, hand selecting is important as many have crooked sight and/or gas blocks, and mags that bearly stay in the mag well.

There are many now made using US receivers, barrels and in some cases being 100% American. While there is nothing wrong with many, it would pay to check Atlantic Firearms to see what they sell and stick with those brands. If Atlantic backs them, you can be pretty sure that they are good to go.

Ones to avoid at all cost, AKs that were built by B-west on their USA receivers as they had heat treat problems. Also any by Vulcan or Hesse as they usually were pure junk.

One great American manufacturer I like is Vector who usually has great quality products. I have several rifles of different makes from Vector and all are really nice.

As you can tell, there is a lot to decide, but just remember, AKs are addictive and after you buy one, you will need to buy another in a different style, then different caliber, then a different country, then.......:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup :

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, and remember, the AK/AKM uses a standard magazine, not a "hi-cap", or never those dreaded "banana clips". ;)

heremy8
10-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Whew, alot to take in but I have a month to do more studying than I ever thought about doing for a test! My dad just bought a chinese ak imported by clayco not too long ago and then not long after that he got a mac 90 that looked like it had never been fired still in the box. Luckily he'll be going to the gun show with me and I know he'll make sure I get a good one, but I know there'll be a day I want to buy one on my own. I know I can get my hands on a milled polish ak 47 for about 625 or a polish underfolder for about 550. I'm just trying my best to wait until the gun show because I know there'll be a LOT more to choose from.

imanaknut
10-13-2011, 05:20 PM
I wish my father bought me a Clayco import!!! Those were considered by some to be the first of the Chinese AKMs to be imported and as such seem to be worth more than the standard Norinco marked 56S.

Glad to see your father support you, and that he will help you make your decission.

Then again my daughter is really happy that her father is an AK-nut!

videodon
10-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Patience Weedhopper...and welcome to the addiction!
:)

heremy8
10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
I wish my father bought me a Clayco import!!! Those were considered by some to be the first of the Chinese AKMs to be imported and as such seem to be worth more than the standard Norinco marked 56S.

Glad to see your father support you, and that he will help you make your decission.

Then again my daughter is really happy that her father is an AK-nut!

Haha, he didn't buy it for me! He's greedy with his guns! But I am lucky to have parents who like to shower their only son with gifts every once in a while. It's funny how buying ak's can be an addiction since I've seen my dad sell his thompson and his mp40 (which I was NOT happy about!) yet he has never sold a single ak of his!

I'm also testing the waters on how my wife will take me spending a good chunk of change on a gun. Pray for me! :hurt:

imanaknut
10-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Just tell her that the AKs are a retirement investment. :thumbsup:

heremy8
11-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Ok guys, just got done with the tulsa gun show. Bought a norinco ak 47 but I'm having trouble figuring out when it was made. It doesn't have any mac 90 or say sporter anywhere on it. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow night when I get back home but I do have the serial number on it which looks strange to me. It's 75 6 S75xxxx. It does the butthole stock on it. I also bought 4 brand new chinese mags to go with it for 70. Hopefully that's not too bad. Thanks for the help guys!

O.S.O.K.
11-12-2011, 10:22 PM
:welcome: to the board! And congrats on your new AK. I would suggest changing the last four digits in that serial number to XXXX - maybe nut can do that for you...

Not good to make your serial number available to... whoever ;)

And I am sure he can tell you all about your new chicom AK.

If you want to pull the furniture and install a more standard set, there's a good supplier for such called ironwood designs http://www.ironwooddesigns.com and I think now another newer one that might have the correct buttstock too - I think that's a slant back receiver?

Looking forward to the pics.

heremy8
11-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks, didn't even think about the serial number (it's late!). I found a site that gives some info on it, was hoping for a preban but it seems to be post ban :( It isn't a slant cut receiver though, took off the stock and made sure. Here's where I read about it http://www.ak-47.us/Article_Detail.php?g=content1167715742.

imanaknut
11-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Your rifle was imported during the time ATF was trying to figure out what George Bush the First meant when he complained about those "evil looking weapons".

Not seeing it, I would guess it still has a threaded muzzle, with cleaning rod holder, but the bayo lug ears have been ground off, and the original "evil" name of 56S was changed to 756S7. The importer was hoping that adding the "7" before and after the "56S" it would make Bush1 happy.

After ATF figured out what Bush1 wanted, they completely ground off the original "evil" name and restamped, then later imported rifles, with "NHM90" or "MAK-90".

Oh, and due to the stupidity of it all, I have been calling the stock a "Bush-hole" stock since Bush1 stupidly believed that what a firearm looks like is what causes crime. And the memory of his speech is burned into my mind as I accidentally got to see him give it. I almost through up on everyone around me!

Partisan1983
11-12-2011, 11:07 PM
WELCOME !!!!

As OSOK said, you should always block out what you can of your serial number.

Unless of course it is stolen. Then post it in all it's glory anywhere you can.

:wavey:

heremy8
11-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the help! It was the cheapest norinco I could find by about 150 dollars, I paid 470 for it. I hope I didn't pay too much. It was the only one I saw that didn't have "sporter or mac 90 written on it. I was hoping it was something super special :thumbspbig:

imanaknut
11-13-2011, 01:30 AM
$470 is a very good price for one of those! The early Bush1 rifles usually are worth a bit more to some people because the cleaning rod attachment was still on the rifle, plus the barrel being factory threaded.

Enjoy your piece of history!

heremy8
11-14-2011, 02:49 AM
Here are some pics I took. I know it doesn't have the cleaning rod inserted but I just put on the new front wood and it seems the hole is too small to put the rod in without having to use a freaking hammer! But I'm super happy and am grateful for everyone's help!