PDA

View Full Version : Question on dies

NAPOTS
10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Do I want a full length sizer die for reloading .223 for use in ARs?

And do I want a taper crimp on .45 acp?

Flinter
10-14-2011, 09:27 AM
You should full length resize any case that you are going to fire through a semi auto. If you don't have the die yet, I suggest you look into a small base one. It's simply designed to be on the small side of the case spec. Some say you don't need it, and honestly, you may not...but to me it's cheap insurance.

.45 taper crimp- some do and some don't. I do. Just remember that the 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth. Keep it light.

O.S.O.K.
10-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Agree - I use a taper crimp on my 45 ACP loads - roll crimps are out.

And I would suggest the Hornady die set for your .223/AR-15 loading - that's what I use and it has been perfect. I really like the bullet seating die that comes with - it aligns the bullet before the ram pushes it down into the case, which is supported. Runnout is thus minimized.

Schuetzenman
10-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Do I want a full length sizer die for reloading .223 for use in ARs?

And do I want a taper crimp on .45 acp?

You want a small base full length resizing die for semi autos like AR15. A taper crimp is a good choice on .45 ACP ammo. It should provide more hold than no crimp but still allow the case to headspace on the case mouth as it should. Roll Crimp is a NO-NO on .45 ACP, 9 mm and other such cases that headspace on the case mouth. .357 mag., .41 mag, 44 mag, .38 spl., no problem with roll crimp as these are rimmed cases and the rim supports the case.