PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Military Classic 55gr .223 multi rifle function test

circuits
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Decided to try some of the $200/1K wolf at AIM to see if it was worth stocking up on.

Summary: wouldn't cycle all my rifles reliably, some stuck cases. If your rifle happens to like it, it might be worth a buy. I'm passing on it.

1000 rounds of Wolf "Military Classic 55gr" - both the bullet jacket and case attract a magnet. Lot A(or something cyrillic)P841-10 polymer gray case, no visible primer or bullet sealant, primer does not appear to be staked, headstamp 223 REM WOLF

Test rifles:
FN FNC
DPMS telestock lower with lightning link, and 7.5" factory DPMS "Kitty Kat" upper
DPMS telestock lower with lightning link, and 10.5" factory Bushmaster "heavy machinegun barrel" upper, Triple-X warrior suppressor
Bushmaster factory 20" "Government Model" with DIAS, 3rb group installed.
Sendra XM15-E2S lower with DIAS, 20" 604 retro build upper with 20" colt 1x12 barrel.
Daewoo DR-200
Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter II

A boatload of USGI mags, mostly green followers on the 30's
24x30rd
9x20rd
1xBeta-C

All mags loaded saturday day/evening before the range trip.

Tested Sunday afternoon, targets at 30 and 100 yards, 1230-1330 hrs, outside temp in the mid 90's, sunny, breezy, about 6000ft elevation.

Did the beta mag from the kitty kat in 3-6rd bursts to warm up. Functioned perfectly, no stoppages.
- 100 rounds fired -
30rd from the DR-200, slow fire, zeroed the sights for this load. No stoppages.
30rd from the Kitty Kat, slow fire, zeroed the sights for this load. No stoppages.
30rd from the Sendra. Failed to cycle - either ejected but failed to strip a new round, or failed to eject. Gave up after 10 rds in a row and cycled the rest of the mag through the DR-200. No stoppages on the DR-200
30rd from the Bushmaster "Govt", 3rb mode Fired at most 2rds at a time, slow and erratic rate of fire. Switched to semi, would not eject after firing, I worked my way through about half the mag as a bolt action, and it started functioning better as spring tension in the mag went down.
- 220 rounds fired -
30rd from the Bushmaster "Govt" slow fire. Wouldn't properly cycle single shots until I'd worked through about half the mag.
30rd from the 10.5" slow fire. very slow-feeling cycle, even with the suppressor. Stuck case on round 5 - had to remove by slamming the butt while grasping the charging handle. Stuck case on round 6, had to tap out with a rod. Stuck case on round 7, had to tap out with a rod. beginning to see a pattern here, and abandon testing on the 10.5.
30rd from the FNC, full auto. erratic function, slow to variable rate of fire for the first few bursts. Checked the gas setting (flipped to the other setting), and had a bolt action. Flipped back to the other setting, erratic function til most of the mag was drained, then it evened out.
30rd from the FNC, 3rb, First several bursts, seemed erratic on cyclic rate, but made it through. Then a stuck case, which had to be tapped out with a rod. Finished the rest of the mag without getting all the way through a single 3rb before a stoppage. Two more stuck cases which I was able to remove without a rod by buttstroking while pulling the handle.
- 340 rounds fired -
Getting tired of the problems, 2x 30rd through the kitty kat, mixture of single fire and short bursts. Flawless operation.
30rd from the DR-200, flawless operation
30rd from the Colt A2, erratic function, weak-feeling cycle, but managed to successfully cycle all 30.
- 460 rounds fired -
30rd from the Sendra, full auto. Would sometimes cycle a short burst without stopping, but other times failed to load a new round after a single shot. Seemed better behaved toward the end of the mag.
30rd from the Bushmaster "Gov't", semi auto. Functioned tolerably, but felt like weak cycling through half the mag. Switched to 3rb, wouldn't complete a single 3rb through the rest of the mag
30rd from the Colt A2, weak-feeling cycle, manged 28, then failed to load a new round on the 29th and 30th rounds of the mag.
30rd from the FNC, semi - no stoppages
- 580 rounds fired -
20rd from the Kitty Kat , full auto, flawless
20rd from the DR-200, flawless
20rd from the 10.5" - stuck case on the first 3 rounds, requiring me to tap out the empty with a rod. Fired the rest of the mag through the kitty kat.
20rd from the Sendra, full auto, weak-feeling cycle, erratic rate of fire - but finished the whole 20rd without stoppage.
20rd from the Bushmaster "Gov't", 3rb. weak-feeling cycle, finished a few 3rb without stoppage, but usually stopped after one or two rounds fired (not counting no-stoppage stops when finishing a previously-interrupted burst).
- 680 rounds fired -
At this point, I pulled the bcg on the 10.5" and the Bushmaster "Gov't", wiped them down and wiped them with a light sheen of CLP.
30rd from the 10.5 - stuck case on round #1. cleared with a rod. put it away and tried the remaining 29 in the Bushmaster "Gov't"
(29rd) from the Bushmaster Gov't - weak-feeling cycle, managed to finish the rest of the mag in 3rb with one stoppage. Cyclic rate picked up as the mag emptied.
30rd from the Kitty Kat, semi auto, flawless
30rd from the DR-200, flawless
30rd from the Sendra, weak-feeling cycle, erratic rate of fire, five stoppages (failed to strip and chamber a new round) attempting a mag dump.
- 800 rounds fired -
20rd from the FNC, semi auto, four failures to strip and chamber a new round
- 820 rounds fired total -

I'm tired of clearing stoppages. Break out the control ammo stash, which contains 62gr Barnaul steel cased I bought in bulk in 2002/2003.

30rd from the Kitty Kat full auto flawless
30rd from the DR-200, flawless
30rd from the Sendra, full auto, flawless
30rd from the Colt A2, flawless
30rd from the Bushmaster "Gov't", 3rb, flawless
30rd from the 10.5", full auto, flawless
30rd from the FNC, 5 3rd burst, rest full auto, flawless

So, I've still got 180 rounds of the wolf which the kitty kat and DR-200 have no problems with, and the Colt A2 can sort of tolerate. But I won't be buying any more.

http://i46.tinypic.com/29paufr.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/333g6y1.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/30n9fzn.jpg

blobman
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
holy shit,thats a thourough range test

L1A1Rocker
08-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you very much for this information. Took a lot of work and a lot of ammo. Thank you.

Moebrown20
08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I just ordered a case of wolf(not the classic) before you posted for 219 shipped.
I hope these don't cause the same problems.

Polish Boy
08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I wouldnt expect it to fire good in any of those really. The russian ammo really works best in soviet style guns.

matshock
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Pinching powder now are they? They're getting more capitalistic all the time.

Thanks for the heads-up.

recon
08-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I use the Brown Bear 223. No problems. Haven't tried the Silver yet.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABB223HP62&groupid=21

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABS223HP62&groupid=21

circuits
08-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Brown Bear is usually made by Barnaul - both Barnaul and BB are GTG, in my experience.