PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Ruger P-90?

El Jefe
08-12-2010, 06:46 PM
.......and is $480.00 a fair price NIB?

TIA :)

blobman
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
rugers are one of the strongest guns there are 480 is a lil steep in my opinion id shoot for 400ish cash

El Jefe
08-12-2010, 07:04 PM
rugers are one of the strongest guns there are 480 is a lil steep in my opinion id shoot for 400ish cash

Hmmm.... I was looking at these today at Boggs Creek here in JC. Knowing these guys I doubt they'd come down that far, but it can't hurt to ask.

Blobman, do you by chance own a P-90?

blobman
08-12-2010, 07:10 PM
wheres boogs creek,i was assuming that it was Jackson co. mo where you were......anyhoo ,i dont own one but my buddy had one it was great but he had huge hands and would accidentally bump the mag eject button about 30% of the time,i owned a ruger p-89 and it was pretty nice.ruger is the only manufacture i know of that actually rateds there guns to fire +p ammo.everyone else recommends staying away from the hotloads

AK-J
08-12-2010, 07:14 PM
A friend of mine has a Ruger P90, it's a decent pistol. More than $400 is too much IMO. I own a P89, and I like it just fine.

El Jefe
08-12-2010, 07:23 PM
wheres boogs creek,i was assuming that it was Jackson co. mo where you were......anyhoo ,i dont own one but my buddy had one it was great but he had huge hands and would accidentally bump the mag eject button about 30% of the time,i owned a ruger p-89 and it was pretty nice.ruger is the only manufacture i know of that actually rateds there guns to fire +p ammo.everyone else recommends staying away from the hotloads

Jefferson City.

weevil
08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
I've owned two of them over the years.

This decocker model I bought new and I had it for a little over ten years and put well over 10,000 rounds through it.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/p90amerABN.jpg

The other was a regular safety model I got used, it wasn't as accurate as the decocker.

Both were decent pistols nothing fancy but good workhorse type pistols that always went bang and ate any old ammo I used without so much as a hiccup. I did have trouble with aftermarket Pro-Mags but with factory mags they were 100%.

$480 is a bit on the high side but not outrageous considering the current market we're in where all gun prices have gone up.

El Jefe
08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I've owned two of them over the years.

This decocker model I bought new and I had it for a little over ten years and put well over 10,000 rounds through it.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/p90amerABN.jpg

The other was a regular safety model I got used, it wasn't as accurate as the decocker.

Both were decent pistols nothing fancy but good workhorse type pistols that always went bang and ate any old ammo I used without so much as a hiccup. I did have trouble with aftermarket Pro-Mags but with factory mags they were 100%.

$480 is a bit on the high side but not outrageous considering the current market we're in where all gun prices have gone up.

I'm thinking this is the "Obama effect" as far as the local price goes. I did some looking on the net and the cheapest I found was $438.00 new.

weevil
08-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm thinking this is the "Obama effect" as far as the local price goes. I did some looking on the net and the cheapest I found was $438.00 new.

Yeah a lot a guys still think it's the good ol' days when it was a buyer's market.

Those great deals on guns are few and far between nowadays.

In the current market I'd consider $450 retail at a store a fair price for a NIB P90 but wouldn't feel raped at $480 if I wanted one bad enough.

El Jefe
08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah a lot a guys still think it's the good ol' days when it was a buyer's market.

Those great deals on guns are few and far between nowadays.

In the current market I'd consider $450 retail at a store a fair price for a NIB P90 but wouldn't feel raped at $480 if I wanted one bad enough.

Well I want something in 45acp, that's reliable, inexpensive, and available locally. Since Aspen Ridge went tits up, we only have 3 local gun stores and Ammo Alley doesn't stock squat. I guess there are drawbacks to living in the hinterlands.

weevil
08-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Well I want something in 45acp, that's reliable, inexpensive, and available locally. Since Aspen Ridge went tits up, we only have 3 local gun stores and Ammo Alley doesn't stock squat. I guess there are drawbacks to living in the hinterlands.

That pretty much describes the P90 as to reliable and inexpensive.

Oh I suppose you might find one of those Rock Island 1911s in that price range, but they're a cast pistol not forged like a quality 1911. The P90 is also cast but is built to larger proportions as it was designed as a cast pistol unlike those cheapie 1911s.

For that price range you're not going to find a better .45.

john law
08-13-2010, 06:51 AM
I used to have a P-90 decocker model. I used it to successfully defend myself from a chemically enhanced assailant. It took the wind out of his sails, he decided the ground was a better place to be as oppossed to trying to strangle me in a guillotine choke-hold. I would have no qualms recommending it, if you got big enough hands.

printerman
08-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Go look at it , then go right back , then go back again and ask if it'll sell for 435 , chances are they'll say no , then offer 450 and it's yours .....